Cash tipping bar tenders

soggy1975

We are on the Epic at the end of August and we have the UBP.

I'm led to believe that as we got the drinks package via a UK booking we don't have to pay an automatic gratuity on top on the 'free' drinks we purchase.

My plan is to give small cash tips in dollars to our servers/bar tenders.

How much would you typically tip in this setting and can you are coins ok as well as notes (obviously I don't mean nickels and dimes but a bunch of quarters maybe)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Even though we don't pay the gratuity with UK bookings, there is still no requirement to tip whilst onboard. They have basically taken care of it.

Having said that, I usually do tip as we go anyway. Usually a dollar or Euro with each order, sometimes a bit more if they have prepared us something nice.

It varies from person to person though. My guess is that many British people don't tip extra at all.

tipping is not required on a cruise ship (except to butlers and concierge who arent part of the pool). that said, it is always appreciated.

we usually give $5 or $10 to our fave bartender and ALWAYS fill out the comment cards for them.

Don't give quarters. If the crew are trying to exchange money banks may not take U.S. coins. Stick with paper money.

I'd agree to trying to keep to paper money if tipping in dollars, but if using Euros then the smallest note is €5, so coins are fine.

I'm really surprised that many people are carrying cash onboard. We generally don't, but we write in an extra $1-2 per drink on the check.

This will be our first time with UBP. Is it possible to tip on your card?

I'm really surprised that many people are carrying cash onboard. We generally don't, but we write in an extra $1-2 per drink on the check.

This will be our first time with UBP. Is it possible to tip on your card?

With the UBP you don't sign anything, so it's not easy to tip on your card.

I believe that you may be able to get them to print a slip, but it would be a pain to do that every time.

We were on Norwegian Spirit last Christmas and New Year and had the All inclusive drinks package included and as we booked in UK there was no additional charge for gratuities. Along with our friends we took it in turn to tip our favourite barman 20 euro every 4 or 5 days . We had great service.

Is this a cultural thing?

I'm from the UK and it would never cross my mind to tip a bartender. I never see this done when I'm out in bars here.

Yes in the US it is.

Waiters/Waitresses in most restaurants in the US make way below minimum wage, therefore we tip.

Bartenders/servers likewise.

Could be anywhere between 15-20% of total bill. Nowadays restaurants give what is 15 ,18, and 20% of bill is to "help" you at the bottom of bill.

Even if you are already being charged an 18% gratuity? (Just curious).

Yes, that's what this post is about. I realize it is not necessary and also realize many people will not tip anything additional. It's just something I do. I regularly will tip 25% or more at land based restaurants or bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm from the UK and it would never cross my mind to tip a bartender. I never see this done when I'm out in bars here.

Have you ever traveled to the US? In the US it is not only customary to tip but the servers rely on the tip as part of their income. So please make sure if you are ever in the US to do what is customary of a min of 18% tip [emoji106]. As far as doing it on a cruise ship? It is certainly not required but very much appreciated.

I agree, I am also from UK and I have given cash tips very occasionally for excellent service or very friendly bartenders but why tip someone every time for opening a bottle of beer or serving a pre-mixed cocktail?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree, I am also from UK and I have given cash tips very occasionally for excellent service or very friendly bartenders but why tip someone every time for opening a bottle of beer or serving a pre-mixed cocktail?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's not about what they are serving you. It's understandable why you don't understand because you are from the UK. And like I said in my previous post I am speaking as someone from the USA. I will tell you that tips are much appreciative by the servers and you will definitely be treated VIP. For example if you continue to frequent the same bar they may have your beer/drink ready almost before you sit down.

I am in no way rich, but I always tip the bartender an extra dollar per drink. I look at it this way --- I spent this much money for my cruise that another dollar per drink isn't going to break me (unless I drink 20 drinks a day)!

Edited by barb65
Wrong ending