Cruise Line Comparison

clorr11

Beginning the selection process for our Alaskan cruise in Summer 2018 (June?). I have frequently cruised with Carnival (all Bahamas, Carribean, or Mexico) and once with Royal Caribbean (Virgin Islands). I know many have said that you should pick itinerary over ship but, I haven't found a clear comparison on cruise lines for Alaskan cruises. I love Carnival but, I feel that it may be too much of a repeat?

I love cruising for the food. I like a more laid back atmosphere with a lot to do on the ship (adventure-ish). I'm in my late 20's so I like to stay busy and have more active things to do. I would also like to experience the Alaskan culture (I have read that some cruise lines will focus more on that than others).

What are the pros and cons of each cruiseline that you have seen? Recommendations? Thanks!

Although a bit pricey, no one does a better balance of activities and Alaska Native Culture than Alaskan Dream Cruises. Also the food is exceptional. Not a lot of activities onboard although all of the excursions are built into the trip. They have kayaks, paddles boards and skiffs that are used daily.

http://www.alaskandreamcruises.com/

Although a bit pricey, no one does a better balance of activities and Alaska Native Culture than Alaskan Dream Cruises. Also the food is exceptional. Not a lot of activities onboard although all of the excursions are built into the trip. They have kayaks, paddles boards and skiffs that are used daily.

http://www.alaskandreamcruises.com/

Thank you SO much for the recommendation! I don't know how I haven't stumbled upon this. The reviews I looked at quickly are all 5 stars! We will definitely be checking this out. Thank you!

The mainstream lines in Alaska are the same ones as you would find in the Caribbean and Mexico. Many of the ships in Alaska are repositioned there for the summer season from the South. So what is available on the ships is pretty much the same other than things like some lines having a naturalist on board some sailings or bringing on board some local culture experiences.

Alaska Dream and UnCruise are a very different kind of cruise experience. Their ships are small carrying less than 100 passengers. The itineraries are also different as the small ships can access ports and passages that the big ships can't. Many of the itineraries start from smaller towns like Juneau or Sitka. They aren't going to have zip lines and climbing walls but they can get up a lot closer to the shore to view glaciers and wild life. The activity is off the ship. UnCruise carries gear such as kayaks on board so you can kayak from the ship even in places like Glacier Bay. I'm not sure whether Alaska Dream allso has that. Be prepared for sticker-shock - price for a 7-day cruise starts somewhere between $3K - $6K depending on the ship, dates and itinerary.

There is a Cruise Critic article on the small ship lines in Alaska:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1449

Did you find Carnival & RCCL to be more alike that different? I did and I do for the majority of cruise lines. (I personally wouldn't choose either for AK, their itineraries don't include Glacier Bay from what I have seen.)

FWIW I chose HAL for my first AK cruise & loved it. (I entertain myself...)

We will be sailing again on HAL - their 14-night itinerary had nothing to compare it too on the other lines.

I was on the Alaskan Dream in early June this year. Having done many many cruises on the big ships (six to Alaska alone) and I do enjoy them, but Alaskan Dream Cruises is so very different and adventuresome for seeing the Inside Passage. It is very personalized and getting into the small coves and other areas that the big ships do not is wonderful. Since it is a small ship (we had just 38 passengers), we could get right up to the wildlife and almost under the waterfalls. The food is excellent and atmosphere is casual. Ages of fellow passengers is mostly over 55 and appeared to be interested in the culture and wildlife of Alaska. Most were very active people interested in adventure. Heck, we had one passenger who was about 85 who had no problem getting into a kayak! On the Alaskan Dream we did kayak right off the ship several times in very quiet serene coves. No cell phones, computers, TV ----What a joy! Alaskan Dream Cruises is owned by Alaskans who know how to show you Alaska. LOVED IT

@clorr11: What are your thoughts about Glaciers? Would that make your Alaska trip special? If so, do compare Princess and HAL which offer more frequent trips to "Glacier Bay" for glacier seekers.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=5841

BTW.... Carnival owns Princess and HAL.

Glacier Bay is definitely on my must see list! Thanks for the info and link!

I was on the Alaskan Dream in early June this year. Having done many many cruises on the big ships (six to Alaska alone) and I do enjoy them, but Alaskan Dream Cruises is so very different and adventuresome for seeing the Inside Passage. It is very personalized and getting into the small coves and other areas that the big ships do not is wonderful. Since it is a small ship (we had just 38 passengers), we could get right up to the wildlife and almost under the waterfalls. The food is excellent and atmosphere is casual. Ages of fellow passengers is mostly over 55 and appeared to be interested in the culture and wildlife of Alaska. Most were very active people interested in adventure. Heck, we had one passenger who was about 85 who had no problem getting into a kayak! On the Alaskan Dream we did kayak right off the ship several times in very quiet serene coves. No cell phones, computers, TV ----What a joy! Alaskan Dream Cruises is owned by Alaskans who know how to show you Alaska. LOVED IT

Thank you so much for the input! The prices I've been looking at for the large cruise lines are about $4-6K, is the Alaskan Dream Cruise similar to that price range or closer to double? I looked online and sent them an email, I'm not sure if the pricing for the Alaskan Dream Cruise is per person or per stateroom?

Did you ever find yourself bored on the ship? I don't need nonstop action but, I'm not quite sure what to expect with such a small ship. Thanks for your help!

Did you find Carnival & RCCL to be more alike that different? I did and I do for the majority of cruise lines. (I personally wouldn't choose either for AK, their itineraries don't include Glacier Bay from what I have seen.)

FWIW I chose HAL for my first AK cruise & loved it. (I entertain myself...)

We will be sailing again on HAL - their 14-night itinerary had nothing to compare it too on the other lines.

The only RC Cruise I went on was on the Quantum of the Seas out of Bayonne, NJ to the Virgin Islands. It was in January 2015 when the ship was pretty new. I loved all the activities on the ship (wave rider, bumper cars, skating rink, arcade, etc) but I was NOT impressed with the food or dining styles. Quantum of the Seas has individual restaurants...the reservation/seating process was not smooth at all. I didn't feel that the food was as good as carnival either? Your thoughts?

How was HAL? Lots to do? Good food? Too big?

Thank you so much for the input! The prices I've been looking at for the large cruise lines are about $4-6K, is the Alaskan Dream Cruise similar to that price range or closer to double? I looked online and sent them an email, I'm not sure if the pricing for the Alaskan Dream Cruise is per person or per stateroom?

Did you ever find yourself bored on the ship? I don't need nonstop action but, I'm not quite sure what to expect with such a small ship. Thanks for your help!

The pricing is per person double occupancy. Disney is the only line that I've seen that puts the price for 2 in a stateroom on their dates & rates page. Per person price on cruises in early August this year when I looked last fall was around $2k or less for an ocean view on a 7-day.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

NEVER bored. It depends what you expect from your trip to Alaska. There are lectures after dinner with local natives and park rangers coming on board. The ship stopped for about an hour or more to watch the 10 - 12 humpback whales bubblenetting VERY close to the ship. We went to some small towns without the t-shirt shops/jewelry stores that are owned by non locals. So refreshing. Cost is per person, but includes excursions, wine/beer at lunch and dinner. Rain gear (coat/boots/pants). The crew are Americans, even a Tlingit was part of the crew. They pick you up at airport and transport you to hotel/ship. Again,deciding which type of ship depends on what you want to learn from your trip to Alaska. I was on one of the big ships in April in Caribbean where the ship is important to me. For Alaska, the destination is what is important for me. Alaskan Dream Cruises is owned by Allen Marine, the company that provides so many of the day trips for the cruise lines. No excursions need to be booked. Realize what the age demographics are and what your needs/desires are while on vacation to make a decision. NOT a party cruise

Glacier Bay is definitely on my must see list! Thanks for the info and link!

We did our second trip with Alaskan Dream last month. We overnighted in Glacier Bay in front of Reid Glacier during our trip. Quite a treat.

I really like Holland America's teak promenade decks, especially in Alaska. My first choice would be Holland. I've also done Celebrity Millenium, Norwegian Sun, and am taking Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas in August. I have a harder time finding acceptable solo prices on Holland so I have more often ended up going with someone else.

Quantum of the Seas has individual restaurants...the reservation/seating process was not smooth at all. I didn't feel that the food was as good as carnival either? Your thoughts?

How was HAL? Lots to do? Good food? Too big?

My opinions alone.

1. You probably will not like NCL - they have the same multiple restaurant scenario. (They may be better with reservations.)

2. Food is subjective & I like mine plainer - so "all" cruise line food tends to be too rich for me.

3. HAL - we chose Volendam partially because it is a small ship (Ditto Amsterdam - our next HAL Ship.)

4. No one is going to say there is lots to do on a HAL ship. Many people like the BB King musical venue - it was not on my last HAL cruise so I can't judge. (I'm not a good judge, I live too close the NYC to bother with the cruise ship shows... I just don't choose based on entertainment. I don't need constant stimulation at home & I don't need it on a cruise ship either.)

5. Again, food is subjective. I'm a vegetarian, so I can't make statements about tenderness or portion size. They do have a very nice vegetarian menu - not just a pasta selection or steamed vegetables.

We are heading out on HAL next month- for us (we are just a bit older than you) we booked it for the itinerary to Glacier bay and because it is round trip out of Vancouver. Feel free to ping me later about our experience. We've previously cruised twice on Royal (Oasis, Freedom) and Disney (Fantasy)

Beginning the selection process for our Alaskan cruise in Summer 2018 (June?). I have frequently cruised with Carnival (all Bahamas, Carribean, or Mexico) and once with Royal Caribbean (Virgin Islands). I know many have said that you should pick itinerary over ship but, I haven't found a clear comparison on cruise lines for Alaskan cruises. I love Carnival but, I feel that it may be too much of a repeat?

I love cruising for the food. I like a more laid back atmosphere with a lot to do on the ship (adventure-ish). I'm in my late 20's so I like to stay busy and have more active things to do. I would also like to experience the Alaskan culture (I have read that some cruise lines will focus more on that than others).

What are the pros and cons of each cruiseline that you have seen? Recommendations? Thanks!

Have you decided if you need to do a round trip (our of Seattle or Vancouver) or a one way from/to Vancouver and then Seward or Whittier?

We took a one-way from Vancouver to Seward, and then spent a couple of days in Seward,

The full day Kenai Fjords excursion (9-hour version was definitely worth the extra time and money) was the HIGH point of our trip... except maybe for Hubbard Glacier.

At Hubbard, we got much, much closer than anyplace in Glacier Bay, and the calving was spectacular at Hubbard.

The scenic train from Seward to Anchorage (observation cars), not through the cruise line, was also a treat, but nothing like the cruise itself (or the Kenai Fjord excursion).

IF you do a one way and it includes Glacier Bay, if NB get starboard, SB get port, for the view of the coastal mountains north of the Glacier Bay mouth.

We splurged, and got a forward suite with a *very* wide view, much like the Captain sees.

The views were, as we had hoped, spectacular.

The itinerary and the specific suites available were more important to us for this particular cruise than for any other. Other times, we'd consider the ship itself much more of a factor.

However, if we were younger (and both of us were more fit; the last 5-10 years have not been especially kind), we would probably consider one of the smaller, more adventurous cruise lines.

We are just sorry that we got a late start to most of our travel, and some trips (or ways to take the trips) just won't work well nowadays.

Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone for all their input! Keep it coming!

My husband is really stuck on doing a Cruisetour, I don't know if it will be affordable for us though. I was looking at additional options. Although Glacier Bay was one of my "musts", I see on the map that the Hubbard Glacier is a stop too. From what I see, are you technically cruising through Glacier Bay even with a stop (or cruise through, I guess) at Hubbard Glacier?

Thinking about possibly choosing a cheaper one way cruise and then doing our own land tour? Any input on whether that may actually be cheaper than the Cruise tours through the cruise line? Will it be a huge hassle?

We just did a Princess cruise and our own 3 night land tour. It was easy with planning but I wish we would have had longer. We liked the flexibility of our own schedule and most cruisetours go to Denali which we didn't feel we had enough time for. Personally I loved what we did but I wish we had had a few more days in Alaska. But there is also nothing wrong with taking advantage of a cruisetour.

We loved our Princess cruise (except the food wasn't great and we ate in the specialty restaurants mostly). Typically cruise ship food is ok, you can always find something but it's not fine dining. We did see alot of the smaller boats in GB and people kayaking to the glacier and if you are adventurous, it looked totally awesome. I wish I had known about Uncruise and the Alaskan Dream when we were planning as it seems like a great option as well. Just depends on what you are looking for. I thought Princess did a great job though.

In 2015, we planned our own land-based tour and followed it up with a 1-week Princess cruise that visited both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

Planning the land portion took a lot of research but I enjoyed doing it and our independent tour provided so much more flexibility than the cruisetours run by the cruise lines. I know there are many people that enjoy the cruisetours and I suppose there is some benefit to just sitting back and letting someone else do the driving, but I think I would find it restrictive. We were able to do so much more in that land-based week than we would have if we went with a Princess tour. Their itineraries seem to spend more time at the hotels they own than allowing you to actually see the sights and experience Alaska.

Driving in Alaska is easy and there are all types of hotels, cabins, B&Bs in a wide range of prices. Something for everyone.

I love planning vacations, so we've never done a cruise-tour, although we did take a Princess train from Anchorage to Denali and stayed in a Princess Lodge once. Like others, I find group tours restrictive, so I'm willing to forgo the convenience of someone else doing the planning. It really depends on what you like, and what you like to do. For me a vacation starts with the planning and ends once I finish my photo journal. For others, the vacation is as long as the trip. Planning a trip to Alaska can be overwhelming since there are so many wonderful options. I've gone to Alaska around six times, some as a cruise and land trip, one fabulous two and a half week land trip, and some as a cruise only. All of them have been spectacular!