Evening Dress Code

sharonann24

Good morning! I realize that NCL's freestyle cruising is a more casual one than other lines we have traveled(Princess, RC, and Holland.). I am fine with my dresses, etc. because I know I can tailor them up or down, but my husband is wondering whether he should bring a sports jacket just in case. I know I have seen that shorts are permissable in most restaurants but he is probably more comfortable with khakis or dress slacks. We are also staying in the Haven, so I am wondering about that restaurant as well. 12 days to go on the Breakaway and we can't wait!

Good morning! I realize that NCL's freestyle cruising is a more casual one than other lines we have traveled(Princess, RC, and Holland.). I am fine with my dresses, etc. because I know I can tailor them up or down, but my husband is wondering whether he should bring a sports jacket just in case. I know I have seen that shorts are permissable in most restaurants but he is probably more comfortable with khakis or dress slacks. We are also staying in the Haven, so I am wondering about that restaurant as well. 12 days to go on the Breakaway and we can't wait!

We were in the Haven and ate in the Haven restaurant as well as several other dining options. I never wore anything more than a polo and decent jeans worn tennis shoes.

The dress up or not night I would say only about 1/3 of the people on board actual dressed up with slacks, jackets and the like. Another 1/3 were still in shorts

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

What I have observed, in several NCL cruises, is people wear everything from t-shirts/shorts to cocktail dresses/sport coats. The "norm" is in-between. This includes the Haven area/guests.

On Norwegian Night Out some dress nicer for photos with the Captain or just because they like to.

Personally, I think sport coats are space wasters in the suitcase:)

Here's the rules,,,, dress the way you feel most comfortable. If hubby likes to wear a sports coat when he's out at a nice restaurant, then pack it. The Le Bistro and Ocean Blue restaurants are the only places that require hubby to wear long pants and a collared shirt. That being said, most people make an effort when going out to dinner. Can't say that I saw any t-shirts and shorts in the Havens Restaurant at night.

I posted the Breakaway Freestyle Dailies, Menus, and some photos on the following link (we were on the BA last month and had a wonderful time). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504449

Anoop (concierge) and his team will take good care of you.

Every evening on NCL is casual. You can dress up if you want, but it is never required.

Thanks to all replies. Hubby does enjoy dressing up! And it is always better to hear from "real life" people and their experiences rather than depend solely on what the FAQ responses are. I appreciate it!:)
He is a rare man ....most men welcome not having to dress up or wear a jacket. Women, on the other hand, seem to love it....some anyway. I prefer not to if I can get away with it. Had to dress in business attire for a good part of my working life. I loved it when I retired and did not have to do that anymore. I don't mind dressing up for a wedding or formal event but not for a vacation.

Took our first NCL cruise on the Getaway in March and were surprised how lovely most folks dressed. This was delightfully unexpected. My husband didn't take a jacket but would have felt very comfortable wearing one in or outside of the Haven.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

He is a rare man ....most men welcome not having to dress up or wear a jacket. Women, on the other hand, seem to love it....some anyway. I prefer not to if I can get away with it. Had to dress in business attire for a good part of my working life. I loved it when I retired and did not have to do that anymore. I don't mind dressing up for a wedding or formal event but not for a vacation.

My husband feels the same way. He had to dress in business attire for work, but doesn't want to for vacation. He will wear a collared shirt and slacks for dinner in specialty restaurants or the MDR. I don't bring any dresses on cruises any more. Just dressy tops and pants for dinner.

The Le Bistro and Ocean Blue restaurants are the only places that require hubby to wear long pants and a collared shirt. That being said, most people make an effort when going out to dinner.
On the Escape, LeBistro and Bayamo are the only locations where men need to wear long pants for dinner. The Manhattan Room (large MDR) does not even require it. NCL is so casual I saw a multigenerational family in Cagney's steakhouse with the father in his t-shirt, cut offs and baseball cap and his son or son-in-law in the same outfit, but his baseball cap was of course backwards. 🤔

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

My sonwas refused entry on Spirit in windows restaurant for wearing dress shorts ...we switched restaurant as a result

So men need slacks for dinner ...jackets because some places are cold with AC full blast

Ladies carry shawls or pashminas or sweaters ....I needed them

Bon Voyage