Do you still bring your birth certificate if you have a passport?

We also carry our Passcards with us when taking any domestic vacations especially when flying. This gives us a backup ID in case our driver licenses are lost or stolen. Most of our flights are going to relatives so we put them in our luggage while there but at hotels we normally would use the safe.

I would never take a BC on a trip. There is no need to as a Passcard or Passport trumps a BC.

I am bringing both because I am a little nervous with just my passport this time because I was being cheap and not getting it renewed. It expires in November. I do not want to have an issue. I researched the places and none of them state that it has to be 6 months so I am praying that I will be fine.

You BC is an option for "entering" the USA to prove you are a citizen on a closed loop cruise. When entering other countries, they will not accept a BC. Sometimes it gets confusing of what is needed to go in the Caribbean, where, none of the islands, except Cuba, do you go through an immigration check point. So, if it is a closed loop cruise, leaving from the USA, and you are a USA citizen, with the exception of Cuba, than a BC is acceptable, but if you have a passport, or passport card, that is the preferred ID. There is no 6 month requirement in the Caribbean, including Mexico and Cuba. They must be valid for period of visit. You can look this up on each countries websites etc.

When we renewed our Passport 2 years ago, the Passport card was a new option. It was just $30 so DH and I got it in addition to our new passport. It even came with a sleeve that is secure from scanners, and fits right in wallet like a credit card.

Now we always have Federal ID as we are Plaintiffs for court a lot.

No you don't need it.

That said, here's another vote for getting another certified copy of your BC so you don't have to worry about its age and fragility. Just contact the registrar's office in the county of your birth and they'll tell you how to get one.

You can go to the Registrar of Deeds in your own county, and they can confirm with the county /state where you were born ... and you can walk out with an official birth certificate right away. It costs something like $10 more than going to /sending away to the actual county where you were born, but the expediency is worth the fee.

Of course, I'm assuming you were born in America. I don't know if they can do this for people born in other countries.

When we renewed our Passport 2 years ago, the Passport card was a new option. It was just $30 so DH and I got it in addition to our new passport. It even came with a sleeve that is secure from scanners, and fits right in wallet like a credit card.

Now we always have Federal ID as we are Plaintiffs for court a lot.

That is interesting!:eek: