Shall we carry bear spray while on a Denali hike?

Cruise_More_Often

Be ready for sticker shock when you buy it as it will run about $50. We have been carrying ours around for about 5 years unused and now it is expired. It did make us feel a little better prepared but that may have just been false sense of possible help. Driving into Canada is ok, we didn't have issues on the ship. Any plane flights especially bear viewing flights are a big no-no.

sightcrr

If luggage is checked, can you fly with bear spray?

There’s a limit of 4oz of bear spray in checked luggage. Not sure they even make it that small as it wouldn’t do much good. I have two cans of it that are 8.1oz and 10.2oz.

Yes, about $50, and then you have to buy the holster.

Alaska Railroad requires that bear spray be in checked luggage.

Costco in Juneau (so I assume other Alaska outlets will too) has a 9 ounce can for $25. I will have to get a holster too.

I assume Southcentral Alaska has a similar Facebook group, but there's Juneau Bear Sightings which is open for viewing, and will give you an idea of what the issue is this year.

I would get spray for mosquitos as you will have many more encounters with them. My mother was an avid hiker in AK and carried noisemakers (don't remember exactly what they were but she also always had a .44 Magnum on her hip as well). Not sure I trust a spray can to save my life and you don't want to further agitate an agitated animal. Also keep in mind that the likelihood of that ever leaving its holster under attack by a bear is very limited. My point is that the spray should not be allowed to give you some false sense of security.

tee_harbor, thanks for the Costco idea!

I would get spray for mosquitos as you will have many more encounters with them. My mother was an avid hiker in AK and carried noisemakers (don't remember exactly what they were but she also always had a .44 Magnum on her hip as well). . . .
From what I've read, by the time we get to Denali in late August, mosquitos shouldn't be a big issue. Rocks in an aluminum can can make a lot of noise; maybe that's what she used.

We probably won't make up our minds about this hike until we get there. Everyone has given us great advice, and we're taking the warnings to heart.

I would get spray for mosquitos as you will have many more encounters with them. My mother was an avid hiker in AK and carried noisemakers (don't remember exactly what they were but she also always had a .44 Magnum on her hip as well). Not sure I trust a spray can to save my life and you don't want to further agitate an agitated animal. Also keep in mind that the likelihood of that ever leaving its holster under attack by a bear is very limited. My point is that the spray should not be allowed to give you some false sense of security.

Alaska Department of Fish and Game is recommending bear spray as a reliable, proven deterrent which can be used by anyone, as opposed to a firearm. They are issuing it to all their field staff. A friend recommended practicing with the canister that I purchased to assure that it's functioning properly and that I know the feel of the trigger.

Alaskans themselves aren't faint of heart, but we're all aware of the level of aggression that bears, both black and brown are exhibiting this year. The risk is still not large, but if carrying a canister of spray means that I'd feel more comfortable on a hike, that seems worth $50 to me on a once in a lifetime trip.

Sportsman's Warehouse is a chain of outdoor stores with outlets around Alaska. They had a big display of bear spray right by the front door as I went in. An easy quick shopping stop.

I think that there is more risk when camping then on a short day hike. Cooking odors may linger and the time window is much longer.

People are being mauled in their driveways, while out on their daily walks and bike rides. A couple weeks ago, a state trooper had to kill a grizzly attacking his dog in his front yard. A week ago, a boy had a bear break through his bedroom window. I get what you're saying, but basically all of Alaska is their territory and I don't really think they differentiate.

My niece worked on trail construction crews at several of the National Parks in the American West. She is now employed by the NPS working out of Anchorage. All I can say is that they always carry bear spray when they work the field. She has never had to use it but it is always there.

DON

I think that there is more risk when camping then on a short day hike. Cooking odors may linger and the time window is much longer.

no, bears target trail heads as day hikers are easy prey (slobs). that "don't carry food sign" is for people that haven't learned all their bear knowledge online..............

somehow you assume that you didn't pick up cooking odors from your meal at mcburgerkfc?

my experience is that campers have a greater situational awareness compared with oh lookie lookie day hikers.

Cruise_More_Often - you have been getting some great advise. Don't be scared out of hiking, just learn to be smart and aware. We did the Tundra Wilderness tour last year - bus of 40ish. We stopped at Polychrome Overlook where we cloud climb up steps to get a better view. We were the 4th bus to arrive, and we walked up the steps. Lots of people there, they all left a bit later, and there was just 7 of us still up there from our bus. One from our bus said "bear". We all scanned the horizon looking, and she said "No, BEAR". Just about 50 yards away, looking at us was a grizzly. We backed away, slowly with regular voice chatter. The bear had stood up on its hind legs, decided he was not interested and went off in another direction. I had purchased bear spray from Wal-Mart in Anchorage, but left it in our room because we were on a tour. We ended up mailing the spray home to ourselves with our souviners from Denali.

I have not had any luck posting photos on here, but I'll give it a try. Yes, I took photos while I was concerned for my life. I was already taking photos, so no extra effort needed to take them :). Looks like I could only post a link to it :(.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x56cd0ed31531f7a9%3A0x8f54ba1f2707d4bd&hl=en-US&viewerState=lb&imagekey=!1e3!2s-hR5GNetlczs%2FWWmv81jrA1I%2FAAAAAAAAKM0%2Fug6hzWrlAFgk-g8c_09qZwifa-Yr544bACLIBGAYYCw