Currency Exchange

wandergal

First cruise on Princess line, so I would like to know if there is currency exchange on board the ship. We are sailing on a 12-day British Isles cruise in August. I will need some cash in Euros and GBPs. On other cruises, you could exchange US dollars for the current port's currency. Is it the same on Princess or will I have to find an ATM after we dock?

Yes they have a machine on board but the exchange rate is beyond terrible. I used it once and NEVER again.

I typically buy foreign currency at home before travel and if we need more we get it from an ATM once we arrive at our destination.

Yes, there is a currency exchange ATM but use it as a last resort only if there's absolutely no other option. Exchange rate is bad plus there's a service fee.

Much better to either exchange currency before leaving home or wait until you dock. If you have leftover currency, you can always keep it for another trip or turn it in at the Passenger Services Desk as credit on your folio. Exchange will still be bad but no service fee and more convenient than bringing it home.