Stateroom / Deck advise please

windsurferfirst

I am looking for advise on a mid ship BV stateroom lower decks. 5 & 6. I have no clue what these decks are like. I am very limited on availability and I do realize these are staterooms with balcony's that do not have clear glass all the way down.

Any information good or bad would very much be appreciated.

These balconies don't have glass at all, they are cut out of the metal hull so are completely enclosed, with an opening, but relatively spacious. The opening in the "wall" on the outside, is at about chest height so you can only see the sea if standing up, and we personally, felt they made the cabins rather dark.

However, they do allow you some semi-outside space of your own and a breath of fresh ar.

These balconies don't have glass at all, they are cut out of the metal hull so are completely enclosed, with an opening, but relatively spacious. The opening in the "wall" on the outside, is at about chest height so you can only see the sea if standing up, and we personally, felt they made the cabins rather dark.

However, they do allow you some semi-outside space of your own and a breath of fresh ar.

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it. I don't think I would like a balcony like that. Do you know if all the lower decks have the same type of balcony?

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it. I don't think I would like a balcony like that. Do you know if all the lower decks have the same type of balcony?

Yes, all the balconies on decks 4, 5, and 6 of QM2 are sheltered (in-hull) balconies. Glass-fronted balconies are on decks 8 and above.

Given a choice between 5 and 6, 6 puts you right under the promenade which some find a little noisy especially in the morning. We generally book on 5. Standing at the opening you have a good view down to where the hull meets the water, which view is missing from decks above 7. But seated in the balcony chairs or in the room you only see sky.

DH and I had a sheltered balcony, think it was deck 4. This was NY - SOU - NY last November. First time and we enjoyed it. Did not feel dark at all. Very windy on Promenade but we were able to go out on our balcony as we were protected from the wind. Not for long though as it was also cold on the North Atlantic in November.

I would book it again. Half of the time there is no sun on your balcony anyway. On sheltered balcony you can stand at the railing and enjoy the sea and look right down the side to the water, as mentioned in one of the above posts. If you want to sit in the sun, you can go to upper deck.

For a transatlantic, when you would be lucky to have weather good enough to actually sit and enjoy your balcony, we really prefer the in hull balcony cabins on deck five. Very conveniently situated for bars, restaurants and buffet and nice and stable in bad weather if you choose one midships.

They do at least provide an opportunity to let a little bit of fresh air into your cabin and are under other cabins.

For a proper cruise then a glass fronted balcony would be more desirable.