Royal testing to bring back same drink package for all

I was under the impression the new rules only apply to 2018 and beyond.

That's what it seems like, though some are having problems with the website wanting to force them to buy packages for all guests on cruises before 2018.

So what you're saying Bob is Royals website may be experiencing issues? What a shocker. :')

Or the same issues that was saying in the UK we have to prepay our gratuitys if we want MTD.

I prepay my tips anyway in £ sterling and always do MTD.

Last time this was in effect I purchased just one when I boarded.....no questions asked.

Not saying it is the case here, but I do know there was somebody that came back from allure right after the test started on Harmony sailings, and said that onboard, they had to purchase for all in the room, or none.

So if you are diamond and you both buy drink package, what's the point of the free nightly drinks? Is that compensated in the price? This will be my first cruise as diamond.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not a fan of their 'free' drink menu so we both buy the package.

Not saying it is the case here, but I do know there was somebody that came back from allure right after the test started on Harmony sailings, and said that onboard, they had to purchase for all in the room, or none.

The first "test sailing" sailed Saturday Sept 30 on Harmony and is still at sea. Lol only ship "testing" is on at this time. I find it funny RCCL calls it a "test" for 9 weeks but able to get results prior to first "test sailing" ending. I smell a rat!

The first "test sailing" sailed Saturday Sept 30 on Harmony and is still at sea. Lol only ship "testing" is on at this time. I find it funny RCCL calls it a "test" for 9 weeks but able to get results prior to first "test sailing" ending. I smell a rat!

The "test" was seeing if it meant more package sales pre-cruise, obviously it must have. I think we all saw the writing on the wall that it was going to go fleet wide. I kept waiting for a discount to get it for my wife, as I was not sure, probably why they never gave many discounts for next year yet.

So what you're saying Bob is Royals website may be experiencing issues? What a shocker. :')

But then again I'd lean more to it being intentional.

Considering that this is yet another "glitch" that results in a higher charge, I would tend to agree.

I called and got the discounted rate for only me on our Next two bookings. Pretty painless, yes, just can't book online

Yeah, but those legitimate reasons will not help me. When I sail with a friend, she gets the alcohol package, and I get the refreshment package. I get three drinks at night loaded onto my card, and I cannot even use all those up. I have one, and if I am really pushing it.. two. Also, I do not use them every night. So now, she cannot get the alcohol package unless I do, and I am not spending money on something I will not use. Not sure that those exemptions would qualify for me.

On the other hand, besides when I cruise with her (not often) I couldn't care less. My partner and I both get the refreshment package. I am not sure this change is happening because people share, or because RCI wants more revenue. I can see either being true.

I called in today to purchase for my husband. The rep didn't even mention me having to have it. I did purchase the refreshment package for my daughter and myself almost two months ago but I didn't even have to ask for an exception.

Yeah, but those legitimate reasons will not help me. When I sail with a friend, she gets the alcohol package, and I get the refreshment package. I get three drinks at night loaded onto my card, and I cannot even use all those up. I have one, and if I am really pushing it.. two. Also, I do not use them every night. So now, she cannot get the alcohol package unless I do, and I am not spending money on something I will not use. Not sure that those exemptions would qualify for me.

On the other hand, besides when I cruise with her (not often) I couldn't care less. My partner and I both get the refreshment package. I am not sure this change is happening because people share, or because RCI wants more revenue. I can see either being true.

Mike, I'm promise you this is not going to be heavily enforced. I called said she's on meds and can't have more than a glass or two of wine, no questions asked! Let's face it, legally it's easier to uphold enforcement of "sharing" than it is to force someone to purchase something they don't want! Unless it's Healthcare. Lol couldn't resist!

So you would suggest calling and explaining the situation? My husband only drinks like 1 or 2 glasses of wine in a day, I can drink like a fish (on vacation). We already bring on 2 bottles of wine, so he's set (we are taking a 3 day.) So to HAVE to spend $200 for him when he won't use it is ridiculous. And the ship has screwed me of enough money already.

So...better to try to pay for just one online, or to call in?

So you would suggest calling and explaining the situation? My husband only drinks like 1 or 2 glasses of wine in a day, I can drink like a fish (on vacation). We already bring on 2 bottles of wine, so he's set (we are taking a 3 day.) So to HAVE to spend $200 for him when he won't use it is ridiculous. And the ship has screwed me of enough money already.

So...better to try to pay for just one online, or to call in?

Don't think you can buy just one online. I bet it forces the beverage package for each person over 21 into your cart. Which brings up another issue with the discounted rate you get when you buy your drink packages online before you set sail. So if you call in and get an exception for one person, are you not going to get the discounted rate for the beverage package you’re buying for the other person since you didn’t do it online?

Just rebottle your 2 bottles of wine with the hard stuff. Recork. Reseal. Done.

And then there are the rum runners which works great with the ladies and the long flowing dresses and spanks. I’ve never witnessed a pat down and plastic doesn’t set off the security alarms.

Time to get creative if they will force the package on all after the first of the year.