port ID

Nolalife

What identification do you bring with you in port????

Do you need your passport?

Not on most closed-loop cruises.

Personally, when outside the US or it's territories, we use passports but there is a whole slew of people here afraid to take their passports out of their room safe :eek:

We take our drivers licenses and Sail and Sign cards with us. Our last cruise was our first cruise with our passports and since we weren't required to carry them it seemed silly to carry something extra so we left them in the safe. Since all of our other cruises were closed loop and we used birth certificates to board we were not overly concerned about being left behind. (And if a passenger is under 16 the S&S will be sufficient.)

Personally, when outside the US or it's territories, we use passports but there is a whole slew of people here afraid to take their passports out of their room safe :eek:

Is that similar to the people that carry their passports because they are afraid they'll be left behind;).

Don't understand why you wouldn't leave it in the safe. If something happened to you while onshore and you had to be flown back to the states the security folks onboard can easily open your safe and retrieve your passport to expedite your return. If you miss the ship because you're busy trying to break new records at a bar ashore then you might have a problem.

You're only required to have 2 forms of ID with your Sail and Sign card being one of them. If you want that "warm and fuzzy" feeling you can take a copy of the identification part of your passport.

We have passports we use for boarding. At ports-of-call we leave the passports in the safe and carry our driver's licenses and ship cards along with a color photo copy of the passport.

If the ship is going to sail without us a ship's officer will clear out our safe and give the contents to a cruise port official who will return them (passport included) when we finally show up. I've witnessed this happen a couple of times before.:')

Driver's License. Although when I renew my Passport I'm also going to apply for the Passport card since my state isn't REAL ID compliant yet. It's only an extra $30.

My Passport stays in the safe as well. I have a much higher chance of losing it or having it stolen than missing the ship. However, should I not show up before the ship's departure time, 2 Officers will retrieve the contents of my safe and leave it securely with the local Port Authorities. So I have zero chance of misplacing it while on the beach or on an excursion.

We always take our passports for port check-in. Once onboard, they go in the room safe and don't see the light of day again until disembarkation.

On a closed-loop cruise departing from and returning to the same US port, you don't really need a passport, provided you are a US citizen. However, if some emergency strikes while you are on the cruise and you need to fly home pronto, you won't be able to.

We have passports we use for boarding. At ports-of-call we leave the passports in the safe and carry our driver's licenses and ship cards along with a color photo copy of the passport.

If the ship is going to sail without us a ship's officer will clear out our safe and give the contents to a cruise port official who will return them (passport included) when we finally show up. I've witnessed this happen a couple of times before.:')

Because I don't have to rely on someone else to do this....I already have my DL, credit cards (2 - others in safe) and our passports. Yes, I realize things can be stolen - that can happen anywhere. But, when you travel from country to country on land based vacations, you must have it and so we are used to carrying them. Yes, you can leave it in a safe at a hotel if you aren't leaving the country - but the hotel doesn't run the risk of sailing away to another country.

And lets take Alaska for example. When we cruised to Skagway, we rented a car and went to the Yukon, so we needed the passport for that.

So for us, if we are in the US (Puerto Rico, St. Thomas etc) and not leaving the US on the port stop, the passport stays in the safe; if we are in a foreign country it goes.

It's all about a personal comfort level. Nothing more or less. And unlike other debates on here concerning such things as MDR attire, it REALLY can't impact me at all whether or not someone choses to take their passport or not. Totally 100% your choice based on your comfort level.

PS- Sorry Summer - I didn't mean to quote you...was answering another post!

In the Caribbean we just take our licenses, sail and sign cards and copies of the passports. In Europe, that is a different story and it depends on the requirements of the country. The ship lets you know if you are required to carry your passport when you are ashore.

We take our drivers licenses and Sail and Sign cards with us. Our last cruise was our first cruise with our passports and since we weren't required to carry them it seemed silly to carry something extra so we left them in the safe. Since all of our other cruises were closed loop and we used birth certificates to board we were not overly concerned about being left behind. (And if a passenger is under 16 the S&S will be sufficient.)

Thank you very much for verifying this. We are traveling for the first time with our kids and just couldn't see spending the money on the passports when I didn't know if they'd get to go again before it expired in 5 years.

Thank you very much for verifying this. We are traveling for the first time with our kids and just couldn't see spending the money on the passports when I didn't know if they'd get to go again before it expired in 5 years.

I thought a US Passport was good for 10 years.

Passport ? Never took the time to get one. Although Customs tried to give me lip about one time . I told em when the rule changes I will do so.;p

US Citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port) and travel to destinations in Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda are able to re-enter the United States with proof of citizenship other than a passport or passport card. Acceptable proof of citizenship includes an original or certified copy of a government issued birth certificate (raised seal and signature) and a laminated government issued picture ID (typically, driver's license), Consular Report of Born Abroad Certificate, or a Certificate of Naturalization. NOTE: Baptismal records and certificates issued by a hospital are not acceptable.

I took a photo of my passport and emailed it to myself and also made a copy instead of taking my passport off the ship with me.

It's all about a personal comfort level. Nothing more or less. And unlike other debates on here concerning such things as MDR attire, it REALLY can't impact me at all whether or not someone choses to take their passport or not. Totally 100% your choice based on your comfort level.

PS- Sorry Summer - I didn't mean to quote you...was answering another post!

:D:D No problem :D I totally agree - it IS all about personal comfort level.