Royal Caribbean to Test New Beverage Policy on Harmony of the Seas

"A spokesperson from Royal Caribbean confirmed the new policy will be tested on Harmony of the Seas, but added, "At this time, we do not have plans to roll it out to any other ships."

Yeah sure:p

We're happy with our Diamond lounge drinks and don't purchase packages so it doesn't affect us. Not surprised they're going this direction, I'm sure there was lots of cheatin' goin' on out there.........

For all those that thought it was okay to share their beverage packages this one's for you :)

I agree! For all of those that said "why do you care, it's none of your business if we share" or "it doesn't affect you". Well it just did! I drink but my girlfriend drinks very little. Last cruise I got the ultimate package and she just got the soda package. Didn't share drinks and purchased hers when she wanted a drink. Going on a Carnival cruise in September due to an itinerary we liked. I was resenting Carnival for making us both get the package and I'm not sure if I will. I have more Royal cruises booked but I may not rush back with the extra expense.

For other ships, Royal is working on special fingerprint enabled glasses, so if your fingerprints don't match those of the purchaser, the lid locks on.

I've only ever purchased a package once and struggled to get my monies worth, never again, I'd rather pay as I go. Having said that my next cruise offered a 'free' package but I'd rather have had some cash off the price of the cruise, or on board credit.

Cheaters screw it up for everyone.
Yet the cheaters and their apologists blame the cruise line.

And whenever you bring this up when folks are discussing how to cheat, the cheaters rationalize their behavior. Sad.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I'd be willing to bet that this policy results in far fewer people getting the drink package rather than more. Time will tell...

That may be part of the intent. It may be better for them if they have a drinks package to offer (to be able to say they have it) and if very few people use it (so folks go back to buying drinks in the moment). I've seen that work out for other hospitality industry offerings.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

For other ships, Royal is working on special fingerprint enabled glasses, so if your fingerprints don't match those of the purchaser, the lid locks on.

My $900 cell phone does not work half the time and the RCCL soda cups with chips have issues. How would this work with beer or purchases inside with glasses? Please put a link on here so we can read some more about it as uncle google came up with no results.

I have never gotten the drink package and I never will, but I really object to this policy out of principle. I also object out of principle to people who cheat the system. I think Royal needs to come up with a different solution. I imagine, though, that good old capitalism will solve the problem. Royal will do what is best for them financially.

I wish they would offer something like drink coupons that could be used by either guest, which would provide a discount on a limited number of drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sorry to see this happen. My husband used to buy the wine package and I would buy the soda package. He was considering the only drink package they offer now for our January cruise on Harmony, but this will stop that, since the second package would not be used much.

We never cheated with the package he had. It is a shame they are doing this.

Curious if this policy only would be in place for new reservations or if it would be effective for reservations made prior to the announcement

Remember Royal, there are many of us who don't or can't drink and who have spouses or friends or travelmates that do. I will not spend $55 a day for soda and water, so someone else may suffer, or save money. Be careful what you wish for Royal; people may find out that tey don't really have to spend all that money.

I wish they would offer something like drink coupons that could be used by either guest, which would provide a discount on a limited number of drinks.

Great idea. It would be similar to the discount drink card some ships sell towards the end of the cruise. Maybe even have a choice of the number of drinks, make it with no expiration and usable on any Royal ship until all drinks are used.

Curious if this policy only would be in place for new reservations or if it would be effective for reservations made prior to the announcement

Good question. I don't remember which Cruise Line it was but remember reading a few months ago about something like this changing and the explanation was that there is only one package. That meant that since they changed the terms of the package then that applies for all voyages after it goes into effect. I don't remember but I think people were allowed to cancel based on the changes to the terms.

Ugh. This was the ONE thing DH and I liked best about Royal. He doesn't drink, so on our sailing earlier this year, I got the drink package, and bought him the soda package. Worked out splendidly. Sorry to see they're heading in this direction.

My $900 cell phone does not work half the time and the RCCL soda cups with chips have issues. How would this work with beer or purchases inside with glasses? Please put a link on here so we can read some more about it as uncle google came up with no results.

Whoosh

We bought a package on a Carnival cruise this spring but we decided we'd never do it again. I don't drink near enough and my fiancé and our other friend almost drank themselves to death trying to get their money's worth lololol.

I wish they would just: 1. Charge what they need for cabins to include wages without us paying a tipping charge. 2. They'd lower the drink prices so that they are more reasonable and then no need for the packages. Or 3. make an all inclusive option for everything instead of everything a la carte.