Ventura cabin upgrade? Over looked balcony.

Calders

cabin assigned to us today on Ventura. We booked a saver fare DE superior deluxe balcony, been given a DB with overlooked balcony, ideally we would have preferred not to have over looked balcony and was told ny our t/a we wouldn't get one!

Not really a problem, she told us we had been upgraded! Not sure how, are they bigger cabins / balconies ?

You will be neaerer the centre of the ship, hence the upgrade. You could actually only be next door to the cabin grade you booked!

I don't know why there is concern about being overlooked. I don't spend all my cruise standing on the balcony looking at other passengers and not noticed anyone else doing so.

cabin assigned to us today on Ventura. We booked a saver fare DE superior deluxe balcony, been given a DB with overlooked balcony, ideally we would have preferred not to have over looked balcony and was told ny our t/a we wouldn't get one!

Not really a problem, she told us we had been upgraded! Not sure how, are they bigger cabins / balconies ?

You need a better TA. Clearly has not a clue. All D deck balconies are overlooked. Change TA.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

You need a better TA. Clearly has not a clue. All D deck balconies are overlooked. Change TA.

We've been told on various cruises that the balcony is overlooked. Usually unless you go to the edge of the balcony and look over the rail you can't see the people above or below. I too have never understood why people worry about being overlooked.

I think the super deluxe balconcy cabins are on D deck. They are all overlooked as are the balconcies on C deck. Thet are all half overlooked not fully. You have probably been upgraded to slightly better position.

That has been our experience every time we had a Superior Deluxe Balcony on Ventura.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Yet another example of an 'upgrade' that isn't. Most 'upgrades' are simply relocations to exactly the same type of cabin in a position that P&O deems to be better (and charges more for the privelige), usually because it is a more central position. Ironically, I much prefer to be fore or aft than midships as it's usually quieter with less passing traffic (particularly of benefit on family ships). 'Upgrades' that aren't can also sometimes result in being placed above or below areas of noise disturbance. For these reasons, and many others, we book a Select fare, research cabin locations very carefully and opt for no upgrade. I didn't realise until recently that you can opt to be upgraded but ONLY if it's to a different TYPE of cabin. In other words, if you book a Superior Deluxe any upgrade would only be a proper one to a Suite. You would probably end up with one of the less desireable Suite positions but at least any negatives are offset by getting a far better cabin. You can only do this with a Select booking though. Finally, as others have said, all Superior Deluxe cabins on Ventura and Azura are overlooked. We found this less of an issue than the complete lack of shade that these balconies have, due to them jutting out from those above them. That said, the extra cabin space is significant compared to standard balcony cabins and we have enjoyed them on both ships.

I know a lot of staff in TAs who either have never cruised or cruised only a couple of times so it is understandable they don't know a lot about cruising.

HI, we have a Superior Deluxe Cabin on Ventura for our cruise and chose to be at the very front. (Don't mind it bopping about a bit :-)) Apart from one brilliant person we have found a lot of TAs don't know that much about the ships, so you are better doing your homework and tell them what you want when you book (if you are booking select).

I think I am right in thinking that all superior deluxe cabins on D deck are overlooked - that was why we didn't go for a cabin on C deck with a large balcony as we wanted to look down on the water, not another balcony.

We have been looking at clips on Youtube and there is one of cabin D114 (the one we are having). Looks fab to me and we really don't mind being over looked. (Having said that we are used at aft cabins and all of those cabins have been over looked) :-)

The only covered de-luxe (D grade ) balcony cabins are aft on E deck, but there are only 12 of these and I understand they generally sell out quickly.

However the brochure does clearly mark all D deck cabins with "v", which indicates overlooked balcony. If you check out the data on the brochure and on the web site you will be far better prepared for your cruise.

The superior deluxe balcony cabins on E deck are the best in my opinion. I tried to book one a few years back on a select fare where you choose your cabin, however I was told I could only book E deck at whatever grade it was at that time, on a "guarantee" basis which means you are not guaranteed this grade and therefore deck, you are guaranteed a minimum grade but probably get a higher grade. So I could not choose E deck and pay more to choose I could only book "guarantee" and not get one in all probability even on a higher tariff. I find the cruise lines take on these cabins bizarre.

Regards John

I know a lot of staff in TAs who either have never cruised or cruised only a couple of times so it is understandable they don't know a lot about cruising.

I have offered my services to a local TA. For a small fee.

:) :) :)

Thanks for all your comments! We have been moved to cabin d616(db),

It's not really being overlooked im that fussed about, more to do with the fact we'd have no shade, I don't mind the heat but don't like sitting in the sun! We love to sit on our balcony for couple of hours a day just chilling! this would not be possible for me in constant sun, we we're mislead by our t/a But it's not a major issue and there are certainly bigger things in life to worry about other than if our balconys got a roof on it or not!! Thanks again!!