Internet Access

fur_ever21

Hello, I'm cruising Princess Ruby out of Seattle Washington for an Inside Passage with Glacier Bay, Alaskan Cruise leaving August 19th. This whole internet access stuff is so confusing to me. I have AT&T. Can anyone enlighten me on how this works? I see I can purchase an Internet Access plan through Princess. Do I still need to change my plan with AT&T? I'll be using my cell phone to take photos and hoped to text and send some to my daughter while we were on our cruise. Also hoped to keep in touch by text or calling the other people in our party. Thank you in advance for your help.

You will be using Princess wifi if you purchase. So on ship you connect with Princess not ATT. Use the wifi setting on phone.

Off ship use your ATT plan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don't have to change your AT&T plan just to be able to use the ship's wifi with your internet plan while onboard the ship. In port, you have to ask AT&T how you will use their cellular network while on land at your itinerary ports.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Ship cell service is very expensive.

Ship internet/packages can be very expensive.

The ship's cell service is activated when the ship is underway so it's best to leave your phone in airplane mode unless you are in a US port otherwise your phone will connect to the ships signal.

Leave your phone on airplane mode while onboard and if you have to.....turn wifi on and purchase an internet package and go that route.

There is AT&T service in Skagway/Ketchikan/Juneau.

The ship has a cell tower that is turned on when it is at sea. Any time you use the cell tower the charges will be billed back to your AT&T account. The charges for AT&T users is $2.49/minute voice and $0.50/message sent with no charge on messages received. In port you will be using an AT&T cell tower for all ports in AK. The ship will stop in Victoria, BC and your plan will not cover Canada - unless you buy a package from AT&T.

The ship has WiFi both internet and intranet. Internet use requires you buy time and it is slow (remember dialup days?). If you buy internet time, be sure to sign off after ever use - it requires a specific action to sign off!

The intranet is free and is called Princess@Sea. Put your phone in airplane mode and turn on WiFi. In your browser enter ruby.princess.com and you can attach to the intranet but will be required to set up a user name and password. You can send messages to anyone on the ship but when the message arrives there is no indication. You just have to watch for it. Princess@Sea also gives you the daily events, ship locator, folio status, etc.