Sunset Veranda on Eclipse

BeckyR

Has anyone stayed in one? We are looking at booking one for the British Isles cruise next August, but we are concerned about the size. We have stayed in these aft cabins on M-class ships and they were a little larger with a larger balcony. According to the website, these are 170 sq ft with 38 sq ft balconies on the Eclipse. Is that accurate?

Thanks!

Becky

Yes, that is about the right size.

Be aware that the aft balconies sometimes are noisy when beneath the upper decks and the staff sets up chairs and tables in the Oceanview and Sunset Bar.

Also, there is sometimes an issue with soot from the smokestacks.

I believe that cabin sizes for SV are about the same as any other balcony. At least, we did not perceive any significant differences. There are however, variations in sizes of the balconies. Perhaps someone with a link to that great photo of aft cabins will be able to post it for you so you can get a graphic image of balcony size variations.

If you look at older threads about the SV, you will find some passengers like them and others dislike them. Some will complain about the soot and others will write "Soot? What soot? We never had any soot. What are you talking about?" Or something to that effect. Same goes for the noise factor. Lots of different experiences here with S-class SV cabins.

Thank you! I'm not too worried about the soot. With it being a British Isles cruise, I'm not sure how much we will use it for anything other than sail away times. A lot depends on the weather, but we do have 3 sea days. Once I got to the booking page to select your cabin, it was listed as 194 sq ft with a 54 sq ft balcony, which is the same as the concierge class above us. I think we are going to go with it. If we don't like it, we'll go back to concierge on the next cruise. Just trying to save some money to pay for the air fare and maybe a few extra days in Europe before we sail!

Thanks,

Becky

Thank you! I'm not too worried about the soot. With it being a British Isles cruise, I'm not sure how much we will use it for anything other than sail away times. A lot depends on the weather, but we do have 3 sea days. Once I got to the booking page to select your cabin, it was listed as 194 sq ft with a 54 sq ft balcony, which is the same as the concierge class above us. I think we are going to go with it. If we don't like it, we'll go back to concierge on the next cruise. Just trying to save some money to pay for the air fare and maybe a few extra days in Europe before we sail!

Thanks,

Becky

Hi Becky....we were on the Eclipse in a Sunset Veranda and it was wonderful!! The aft veranda on Eclipse is smaller than the aft on M class but if it's just two of you it's still very comfortable. We found no interference from cabins above us and the balcony was swept every day by our cabin steward. August should be reasonably comfortable but, having lived in London, all I can say with certainty is that the weather is unpredictable! You'll get some great photos and sitting on the balcony watching the wake is mesmerizing...problem is once I had Sunset veranda I didn't want to go back to Concierge...but you know you can book an aft cabin with concierge you just have to book it really early.

We have done aft balconies a couple of times. Great for Alaska. Not so great when we did Singapore to Dubai. We were near the Equator and it was hot, hot. Our balcony had no breeze and was uncovered, so we got the direct sun. We hardly used it then. On a British Isles cruise heat is not a problem, should be fine.

The only thing that has put off opting for a SV balcony is that people from the outside section of the Oceanview café can look down & see you on your balcony.

Haven't found that to be a problem. It's kind of true, I guess...but the way the stern is angled you really do have privacy because the balcony above you is often your' shelter. If I lean out and look up I can see people 2-3 decks above me but not directly and I've never seen anyone above me looking down at me! Only time I noticed people above me was around 4-5 p.m. ("happy hour") and I could HEAR people laughing and talking but that didn't bother me.

We had SV 6311 on Reflection this past December and SV 6308 on Equinox last month and had no problem with privacy from the above cabins . Both cabins were average size with SV 6308 just a tad wider. We would book these cabins again. No problems with soot either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only thing that has put me off opting for a SV balcony is that people from the outside section of the Oceanview café can look down & see you on your balcony.
Reading this reminds me of a thread where someone else posted the same complaint a long time ago.

One of the regulars responded that people can see you on the cruise ship all over the place. They can see you in the dining room, in the theater, at bars, in the gym, at the pool, at Guest Relations.....on and on.

So unless you are intending to sunbathe nude on your balcony (or engage in other activities best left to the imagination here), why would you care if someone sees you on your balcony?

If you are planning to have breakfast on the balcony and worry about looking as frightening as some of us do when we first wake up in the morning, all you need to do is put on your bathrobe and some large, dark glasses. ;p

(y)

Reading this reminds me of a thread where someone else posted the same complaint a long time ago.

One of the regulars responded that people can see you on the cruise ship all over the place. They can see you in the dining room, in the theater, at bars, in the gym, at the pool, at Guest Relations.....on and on.

So unless you are intending to sunbathe nude on your balcony (or engage in other activities best left to the imagination here), why would you care if someone sees you on your balcony?

If you are planning to have breakfast on the balcony and worry about looking as frightening as some of us do when we first wake up in the morning, all you need to do is put on your bathrobe and some large, dark glasses. ;p

(y)

Besides, unless you are sitting or standing right next to the balcony rail, the overhang protects you from frightening the mothers and children looking down from above.