What is the BB Kings?

Hflors

That's really for his descendants to say.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

No, I think to say it isn't his music is accurate, whether one means literally the music he authored or the type he was known for.

Given the difference in type I wonder how they determine who to accept in a band bearing his name.

That's really for his descendants to say.

Have no clue as to why you are into this descendant thing :). But when it comes to the late BB King (we have been big fans for over forty years) there is no question as to the music he played, wrote, sang, recorded, and liked! The man was an open book on his personal music tastes....and the word "Blues" best defines the man whether it was the old style "Blues" or the more recent "R&B." He was also a big fan of a few other great guitar players such as Eric Clapton. None of this has anything to do with his "descendants." bus is simply fact.

Hank

Have no clue as to why you are into this descendant thing
Because respect matters, and when an artist says, "These people are the ones who carry my trust forward," then those who appreciate the artist's work are honor-bound to respect that. Perhaps you've never been in the position of carrying the future forward for someone who has passed away. I hope that when you have that opportunity that you both respect the legacy as the decedent has entrusted you to do so, and that you are granted the respect that is due to you with regard to the decisions you make as someone so entrusted, rather than having decisions you make in honor of the decedent second-guessed and otherwise criticized by outsiders.

B. B. King's legacy has been a matter of some significant argument and concern, and the decision has been made about the legacy B. B. King decided he would have. Unless you're actually King's business manager (who I believe set this in motion), or one of his daughters (who haven't said Word One against this specific aspect, anyway), then I can only see it as disrespect for King himself.

Edited by bUU

Because respect matters, and when an artist says, "These people are the ones who carry my trust forward," then those who appreciate the artist's work are honor-bound to respect that. Perhaps you've never been in the position of carrying the future forward for someone who has passed away. I hope that when you have that opportunity that you both respect the legacy as the decedent has entrusted you to do so, and that you are granted the respect that is due to you with regard to the decisions you make as someone so entrusted, rather than having decisions you make in honor of the decedent second-guessed and otherwise criticized by outsiders.

B. B. King's legacy has been a matter of some significant argument and concern, and the decision has been made about the legacy B. B. King decided he would have. Unless you're actually King's business manager (who I believe set this in motion), or one of his daughters (who haven't said Word One against this specific aspect, anyway), then I can only see it as disrespect for King himself.

I believe the Daughters would say " That not my Daddy's Music, but I love those checks coming my way" !!

By the way, I am unable to make any sense of your first paragraph above. Are you perhaps a Lawyer ?

If you don't respect B. B. King, then why would you care?

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Quite the opposite, I do care about King's Legacy, which appears not to be his music, but a Neon sign "B.B. King BLUES Club. with his Descendants.

Quite the opposite, I do care about King's Legacy, which appears not to be his music, but a Neon sign "B.B. King BLUES Club. with his Descendants.

Mr. King was alive, well, and involved when the BB King All-Stars concept came about. He lent his name, for what I'm sure was a generous fee, knowing it would provide a venue for quality musicians to showcase their talent.

• 7 months later...
Unfortunately we had to endure the BB Kings Group on the Maasdam for 55 Days last Fall, I hope and pray they are not on our upcoming GrandAsia Cruise.

You stated that it was the Rotterdam not the Maasdam.

Where would you spend all of your evenings that you had to endure them for 55 days?

Lots of things in life aren't true to their original forms or even purposes. Music is a constantly changing form of expression. There are even variations among the different BBKing combos playing aboard the ships. We've enjoyed one group aboard Westerdam on an Alaska cruise and another aboard Eurodam on a Caribbean cruise. We were hoping the first group would be on the second cruise, but wound up enjoying a different group even more.

The music is billed as Memphis blues and Motown and allows for a lot of adaptation and interpretation. Some of the numbers might be traditional, but others more current. Whatever, the musicianship is top rate.

I can't see why anyone would "suffer" any musical group on a ship. Don't like it? Don't go. My wife and I have a hard time getting to all the musical offerings on a cruise because we hate to miss a BBKing session. The problem isn't avoiding anything, it's how to do it all.

We have really enjoyed the BB King groups on two of our cruises. That being said, I am a long time BB King fan...and the music played by those groups on HAL is anything but BB King music. The first time we experienced a HAL BB King group was on a few week cruise in Europe on the Zuiderdam. The group on that ship was really good, and packed-in a good crowd most nights (we had quite a few younger Europeans on that voyage). One evening I had some drinks with their leader (after their last show) and I asked him about playing some real BB King Blues music. He told me that they did have a few of those pieces in their repertoire, but they had learned that most HAL cruisers prefer R&B and Rock. They even did quite a few old Disco numbers (BB King must have rolled over in his grave). But we did get that group to do some BB King numbers ( 3 O'clock Blues and Why I sing the Blues) at one of their late sets when there was not a big crowd.

Hank

They're entertainers, not university graduate students working on a BB King musicology history thesis. They're good musicians entertaining obviously happy cruisers. Live with it...or resume your debate about the merits or evils of turkey bacon. Either way, I'll be looking forward to seeing them on our next cruise.

They're entertainers, not university graduate students working on a BB King musicology history thesis. They're good musicians entertaining obviously happy cruisers. Live with it...or resume your debate about the merits or evils of turkey bacon. Either way, I'll be looking forward to seeing them on our next cruise.

Awesome post! Enjoy them! One of the better moves HAL has made in recent years, bringing these groups on board, Gloria Gaynor songs et all ;)

I have my fingers crossed that they lower the volume a bit on my Eurodam cruise. I thought they were incredibly talented on the Oosterdam , but I had to leave by the 4th song because my ears began to hurt. I really want to enjoy them!

You stated that it was the Rotterdam not the Maasdam.

Where would you spend all of your evenings that you had to endure them for 55 days?

It would have to be the Rotterdam since it was the only one of the S & R ships to have BB Kings.

Performances on that ship were in the Crow's Nest.

We really enjoyed them when we were on the Rotterdam. The group was very good and the Crow's Nest was packed every night. I was sorry to hear that BB Kings is no longer on the Rotterdam. :(

I wish they would play on our Grand Asia& Pacific cruise, but if I understand previous comments correctly, they don't play on the MS Amsterdam. Last time on the MS Volendam, we preferred reading in the cabin to the musical entertainment. We may be old, but the music of our youth is not from the fifties and before!