Tipping for Room Service

mysusie45

As you can now see from all of the replies that the there aren't any tip guidelines to be followed. Some tip a few bucks, some just include it in the auto gratuity, some give gifts and now for the first time in my history on Cruise Critic I learn that some tip with buffet food. Whatever you decide to do will fine.

I think the "thank you" buffet food comment was only due to politeness on the crew members part.

Food is something that they see plenty of when ever they want it.

Will the customer services desk on board break larger denomination $ notes ($20 or $10) into singles for tipping on a Norwegian fjord cruise? We've been able to do this in Alaska and Panama Canal but not sure if they will do this on a European cruise? I already have notes to use up from previous trips or I would order singles from my usual exchange bureau.

Thanks

Will the customer services desk on board break larger denomination $ notes ($20 or $10) into singles for tipping on a Norwegian fjord cruise? We've been able to do this in Alaska and Panama Canal but not sure if they will do this on a European cruise? I already have notes to use up from previous trips or I would order singles from my usual exchange bureau.

Thanks

Yes I do it all of the time

I found this on another thread and thought all interested in adding well deserved tips would enjoy reading this short article about cash tipmoney.

Onboardcurrency trading with your room steward. Aka: tipping money

Originally posted by crucero-amante (found on a blog...the writer works for Princess)

copied from the CrewOffice blog

If you are going to tip your room stewards, or anyone onboard for that matter,you should try and use only clean, fresh, unmarked American bills. No rips, nopen marks, no creases. The reason for this is that in Eastern Europe and thePhilippines the exchange houses will not give full value on money that ismarked or ripped or OLD. I have even had it happen to me; they will rip you offand give you 75% value. I have been to these places and exchanged money myselfand I know it to be true. During payroll onboard the Eastern Europeans andPhilippines crew even ask to be paid in clean, 1998 series bills because otherseries have a higher counterfeit instance and they often get less value for itas well. Sure it’s money making scheme by the exchange houses but there isNOTHING you can do about it.

If you tip in old, damaged bills they must exchange it onboard first and thiscan be a hassle as crew offices do not mind changing currency but just changingold for new sometimes isn’t always possible.

Also, tipping in “fun” or collector money is pointless. A $2.00 bill will notbe exchanged by an exchange house in Eastern Europe or the Philippines. Somecrew offices won’t even take them. Yes, I know, your all getting angry now andsaying “but this is good honest American currency”, well this is true but thesepeople are not Americans nor are they in America.

In fact, even if they try and exchange money ashore in America old for new, or$2.00 bills for $1.00 bills they are treated like money laundering drug dealersbecause not everyone in the USA trusts a foreigner these days, let alone aforeigner on a temporary seaman visa trying to “clean” some money! You may wantto argue that with me, but if YOU owned an exchange house and an Indonesian,South African, Romanian, Russian, Philippine or Malta citizen came to yourwindow with a crumpled handful of 1000 dollars in old American money and askedto exchange it for new American money, what would you honestly think? We don'teven have passports, just I-95's which look fake because they are on cheaptissue paper and ship ID cards. That's it. Would YOU trust these crewmembersand not suspect them?

It is true that if they have a bank account in their home country they canexchange the bills but remember many crew in these countries do not have bankaccounts. It is not the same in all countries as it is in the USA.

So do the crew a favor. If you’re going to tip I recommend new, clean $1.00bills, or $5.00 or $10.00 they are easiest to exchange. $20.00 have a very highcounterfeit rate so they are harder to exchange.

I read some comments from a person who was going to experiment and see if crewwould take a two dollar bill. Well they probably will, but if you want toexperiment properly offer them a choice of a two dollar bill, or twoone dollar bills I am betting they will take the ones. ;0) Also, if you’regoing to offer two dollar bills versus a single one dollar bill, then you wouldhave to ask the Crew Purser how many two dollar bills of yours he ended up withbecause the crew will go right down and exchange them for "realmoney". They will not take them if they think the Crew office will notchange them.

Also, if you don't have American money in good shape, and if you havethem, Euros are very much preferred at exchange houses in Philippines andEastern Europe, and Canadian money is exchanged for value almost everywhere aswell because it is very difficult to counterfeit. The VERY NEW American moneyjust released is VERY hard to exchange because the world is not used to it yet.So using American, a few years older but in mint shape is best for crew.

I know some Americans are going to get offended now, because they think I aminsulting them about the US dollar. I am not, it’s just the facts of life. Noteveryone wants or takes the US dollar like so many people believe. In fact, Iam in Sydney Australia today and before I could even pay to get online I had toexchange my American money for Australian because they don't take Americanhere.

It always kills me how it really pains some people to kick down a buck or two. If you can afford to cruise you can afford to tip.

I agree and assume these young people do not get a lot per hour. They deserve every $1 they get. (even though they may be in the pool) MOO.

Our usual tip for room service is at least $5, as normally only use it for a quick breakfast on port days and don't have time for a real breakfast. We have always received timely service and that is a plus when you are up early and ready to sit on the balcony, waiting for the sun to come up.