Luggage

beachgoddess

This is what I have....it is on sale this week. I have 2 pieces and they are wonderful and durable. On top of the sale, there is also a 20 percent coupon code and free delivery. The coupon code is: SUPERSAVER......which you must type in on the coupon code box, when checking out.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2598747/samsonite-omni-pc-hardside-spinner-luggage.jsp?color=Burnt%20Orange&prdPV=2

I will recommend a web site....where you can read lots of reviews, see prices, and make your own decision. It's ebags.com and we have used them for several years with great success. Personally, I prefer soft sided lightweight (most of our newest luggage is "TravelPro" which is the first luggage we have had in years that seems to hold up quite well. Ebags also has multiple brands of lightweight hard sided stuff. We travel about 6-7 months a year and used to replace our luggage on a routine basis until we got Travelpro stuff.

The reality about truly lightweight luggage is you do give up some strength and durability to save weight. My philosophy is to buy lower cost (in the $100-$150 range) luggage as opposed to spending the big bucks on higher end stuff. Even the best luggage, when lightweight, can be quickly damaged. We also have a theory (supported by some travel experts) that buying high end brand name luggage just makes you a bigger target for thieves. These luggage thieves will often hang around airports and hotels and prefer to target expensive luggage. The theory is that folks who spend hundreds of dollars on a single piece of luggage will likely have expensive items inside. On the opposite side...if you have an old piece of beaten up luggage....nobody wants it :).

Hank

Real cheap luggage is basically cardboard covered with fabric. Literally expected to last one trip.

PP gave you good suggestions.

Places like Marshall's and Tuesday mornings sometimes have deals. Some of their bags are junk and some are oversized per airline rules.

After years of traveling every week for work I swear by Travel Pro so I look for them on sale when a replacement is needed. Also I personally do not like spinners - they are great on smooth floors but a devil on carpet and rough surfaces and the wheels do not seem to hold up well if you travel frequently, particularly by air.

Funny you should ask! We just bought a set of hard-sided Sampsonite luggage for $3.50, at a local thrift/charity store. Very nice quality, and quite clean.

We've found that no matter what luggage we buy, airlines beat it up, so spending under $10 every few years is our best value.

If you have a thrift store nearby, and perhaps time for several visits, it's a great option.

Funny you should ask! We just bought a set of hard-sided Sampsonite luggage for $3.50, at a local thrift/charity store. Very nice quality, and quite clean.

We've found that no matter what luggage we buy, airlines beat it up, so spending under $10 every few years is our best value.

If you have a thrift store nearby, and perhaps time for several visits, it's a great option.

Bought a late80's tweed (Jordache) suitcase from Goodwill. Until one of the puny wheels came off it traveled LAX-FCO RT about 4 times. The bag part was still in good shape.

We've had great success with IT Bags.