Question re USB charging ports on Queen Victoria

SonofTertius

Are there seriously no other sockets (apart from the desk & shavers in bathroom) in the whole cabin?

Reports indicate that this is the case. I use a CPAP machine and will have to ask the steward for an extension cord in order to be able to use it.

Now that I think about it, I would think that our charging needs will be diminished since we won't be connecting our phones and tablets to a mobile network or wifi. In fact, the only device I plan to use more than I use at home is my Kindle.

Reports indicate that this is the case. I use a CPAP machine and will have to ask the steward for an extension cord in order to be able to use it.

Now that I think about it, I would think that our charging needs will be diminished since we won't be connecting our phones and tablets to a mobile network or wifi. In fact, the only device I plan to use more than I use at home is my Kindle.

Just careful not to trip over it during the night.

My usage in the media devices normally goes up as I have some APPS with games and music which I like using during vacation.

I'm sure we'll be fine though. It's not like we are sailing on the RMS Brittanic [emoji6]

This turned out to be an interesting thread.

As it rained just about all day yesterday I looked back through some of my photographs as I was sure I'd never experienced a lack of power sockets.

No, this isn't Queen Victoria, but on my last outing on Queen Mary 2 I calculated at least 13 power sockets in my Q5 Stateroom...

On the side desk...

35063152813_986d077c38_z.jpg

In the Vanity area...

35872522255_9b098abff1_z.jpg

On the Bar area...

35484605850_0978ccc48a_z.jpg

(an additional wall mounted socket can be seen to the main desk)

Again, I realise it's not Queen Victoria so maybe a certain member who regularly travels QG on her can add to the debate.

This turned out to be an interesting thread.

As it rained just about all day yesterday I looked back through some of my photographs as I was sure I'd never experienced a lack of power sockets.

No, this isn't Queen Victoria, but on my last outing on Queen Mary 2 I calculated at least 13 power sockets in my Q5 Stateroom...

On the side desk...

35063152813_986d077c38_z.jpg

In the Vanity area...

35872522255_9b098abff1_z.jpg

On the Bar area...

35484605850_0978ccc48a_z.jpg

(an additional wall mounted socket can be seen to the main desk)

Again, I realise it's not Queen Victoria so maybe a certain member who regularly travels QG on her can add to the debate.

Lovely suite Richard! I think the conclusion is that the only plugs, erm sorry, sockets on the QV is by the desk and where the old box TV used to sit - now being used for the kettle - nevertheless, I'll take my adaptors, power-banks and 4 cords as always. I'm sure we'll make do with what we have.

My biggest concern were the USB ports but we've all come to agreement that Cunard does not yet have them. Hopefully they see the importance of these for future renovations and new builds.

Cruise companies should also do proper research into direct user technology and incorporate media streaming like Netflix and Bluetooth connectivity in their cabins. I have not yet heard of any line doing this. Perhaps someone could shed light and prove me wrong.

I would also assume that some major line may start including free wifi soon - hotels started doing this 5 years ago and it has in fact turned into a USP for some properties. Wifi and tech in holiday accommodation is becoming as mainstream as having running hot water and it's about time that cruise companies realise this.

Cruise companies should also do proper research into direct user technology and incorporate media streaming like Netflix and Bluetooth connectivity in their cabins. I have not yet heard of any line doing this. Perhaps someone could shed light and prove me wrong.

If you're talking about something akin to the VOD provided on airline seatback televisions (and, on some airlines, on your mobile device as well), maybe. I don't know how the costs of providing something like that on an airplane compare to the costs of providing it on a cruise ship, and I'm not going on the cruise just to watch movies and television in our stateroom (and suspect others aren't either).

I would also assume that some major line may start including free wifi soon - hotels started doing this 5 years ago and it has in fact turned into a USP for some properties. Wifi and tech in holiday accommodation is becoming as mainstream as having running hot water and it's about time that cruise companies realise this.

Doubtful unless the costs of satellite Internet drop substantially.

If you're talking about something akin to the VOD provided on airline seatback televisions (and, on some airlines, on your mobile device as well), maybe. I don't know how the costs of providing something like that on an airplane compare to the costs of providing it on a cruise ship, and I'm not going on the cruise just to watch movies and television in our stateroom (and suspect others aren't either).

Doubtful unless the costs of satellite Internet drop substantially.

There's minor cost involved. Most TV sets these days have it incorporated. Cruise-liners deactivate these features in order to get people out to the restaurants and bars to spend money. It's not as if I sit in a cabin all day watching TV - I could feel your judging over the airwaves - it would be a nice feature to have, that's all.

Lovely suite Richard! I think the conclusion is that the only plugs, erm sorry, sockets on the QV is by the desk and where the old box TV used to sit - now being used for the kettle - nevertheless, I'll take my adaptors, power-banks and 4 cords as always. I'm sure we'll make do with what we have.

My biggest concern were the USB ports but we've all come to agreement that Cunard does not yet have them. Hopefully they see the importance of these for future renovations and new builds.

Oceania offer free, unlimited wifi, but only one device per cabin at any one time. It was painfully slow though, made Cunard appear super fast.

Ha! Guilty! I would hate to come home and answer the question "How was the cruise?" with "Great - I got so much binge-watching done," personally.

My teenage kids (16+) do this for some of the cruise (esp on transatlantics). Can't complain as they do come along to pub quizzes, dinner, afternoon tea and painting classes. It is their holiday too and they aren't really in to organised fun.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

My teenage kids (16+) do this for some of the cruise (esp on transatlantics). Can't complain as they do come along to pub quizzes, dinner, afternoon tea and painting classes. It is their holiday too and they aren't really in to organised fun.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

That's about all I wanted to do when I went on a Caribbean cruise when I was 18. Well, that and drink.

Hattie, from what I remember the outlet is still there and it is available to plug the kettle in to.

My memory is faulty but it seems that QM2's kettles had a 240 volt UK plug. A kettle designed for 120 volt US power can only draw about 1800 watts so it takes awhile to boil water. A 13 amp UK socket should be able to provide 2800 watts.

I was looking at the 3,834 pictures of Queen Mary 2 and:

1) Do the bedside lamps in interior/oceanview staterooms have UK or US plugs?

2) Is there a product out there that would allow me to split one of the plugs into 2-3 plugs and thus be able to plug the lamp and a CPAP machine into a single socket? I use the below when traveling in the US at hotels, but this would not be an option on QM2:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KEA9RS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was looking at the 3,834 pictures of Queen Mary 2 and:

1) Do the bedside lamps in interior/oceanview staterooms have UK or US plugs?

2) Is there a product out there that would allow me to split one of the plugs into 2-3 plugs and thus be able to plug the lamp and a CPAP machine into a single socket? I use the below when traveling in the US at hotels, but this would not be an option on QM2:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KEA9RS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regarding number 1, the answer is no. This is a poor design decision and a pet peeve of mine since most people use their cell phone as a clock

Sorry, I meant "is the plug at the end of the cord for the lamp a UK plug or a US plug?"

Abe, as far as I know; the bedside lamps do not have plugs or sockets - they are permanently connected and the power source is isolated behind the cabin cladding. Seems that you'll have to use an extension cord which you'll have to plug into the desk.

Let's hope that the new generation of ship designers think about this design flaw and correct it in the future. Sockets next to the beds, in either sides, are vital to guests in this day and age.

Abe, as far as I know; the bedside lamps do not have plugs or sockets - they are permanently connected and the power source is isolated behind the cabin cladding. Seems that you'll have to use an extension cord which you'll have to plug into the desk.

Let's hope that the new generation of ship designers think about this design flaw and correct it in the future. Sockets next to the beds, in either sides, are vital to guests in this day and age.

I will check the socke-by-the-bed situation when I get back on board today.....

The "razors only" socket in the bathroom by the way charged my electric toothbrush without problem.

There are a number of connectors for USB and such at the tv. You need a slim hand to access those. I plugged in my portable hard drive to watch movies. The TV is " smart tv" but virtually all functions are disabled. Watch tv or listen to a few music channels. That's all it does. It is not possible to check your bill, book excursions or any such things.

I'm not onboard currently but my memory is that the razor socket in the bathroom is only active when the bathroom light is turned on. We would have liked to put a night light into the socket but since the light had to be on anyway...

Thanks. That is unfortunate; even at the hotels I've stayed in that have had inadequate bedside plugs, I've been able to get at the outlets to unplug what I don't need and plug in what I need.

Ok..

Both bedside table lamps can be unplugged. These have continental European plugs, like you would find in Germany. It would be possible to use adaptors quite easily.

As others have said, the row of sockets by the dressing table are set very low and it may be difficult to plug in any bulky adaptors.

Ok..

Both bedside table lamps can be unplugged. These have continental European plugs, like you would find in Germany. It would be possible to use adaptors quite easily.

As others have said, the row of sockets by the dressing table are set very low and it may be difficult to plug in any bulky adaptors.

Great news! Thanks for the info.