Vista Elevatorgate

We were on Vista a few weeks ago and don't get me wrong, we had a great cruise as usual. But from the moment we stepped onboard we were looking at ourselves constantly wondering what the world the ship designers were thinking with regards to the forward elevators!

For those that have not had the pleasure...(especially having a forward cabin), the elevators are all individually controlled in sets of two. So even though there were 8-10 elevators in the front, each set was controlled individually by a set of buttons. So what you'd have the whole week is people getting frustrated and pushing every set of buttons! So all the time the elevator would stop on EVERY FLOOR when you were trying to get somewhere.

So, we asked a crew member one day and he told us the whole reason this mess happened is because when Vista was introduced, it had an elevator program it was beta testing. Basically, you would type in the floor you were going to on a keypad and it would tell you which elevator to wait in front of. He said it worked fine and really it reminds me of skyscraper elevator systems I've experienced. Anyways, he said they pulled the system and that is why they have the complete mess they have today. He said he tells everyone that mentions it to put it in the survey to bring back the beta system or fix the mess Carnival has caused,

In summary, Vista is a fun ship, but I would highly recommend avoiding a cabin that relies on the forward elevator Bank, it is a NIGHTMARE!

I'm confused about exactly what the problem might have been, but on the Vista, the forward elevator bank is exactly 8 elevators.

Which deck where you on (cabin)?

gary

Read it again. Every 2 elevators had to have a separate button pushed for them all to work...............that part.

So even though there were 8-10 elevators in the front, each set was controlled individually by a set of buttons. So what you'd have the whole week is people getting frustrated and pushing every set of buttons! So all the time the elevator would stop on EVERY FLOOR when you were trying to get somewhere.

This.

I also noticed something similar on the Sunshine too with the call buttons. One set of call buttons only work on 4 out of 6 elevators and there was a different button for the other 2 elevators

Part of the issue is some of those forward elevators stop at different floors, for example, only 1 elevator goes all the way up to the Serenity Deck so it has a different call button.

We had read a similar comment prior to sailing the Vista last November. So a bank of elevators have one set of "call buttons" for maybe 6 decks and the other bank goes to all floors.

It's like the Conquest class ships have the see through atrium elevators with their call buttons and the enclosed welevator banks right next to them have a different set. Trouble is on the Vista they weren't clearly marked which elevator went to what deck until you looked closely for the signage.

We were on Vista a few weeks ago and don't get me wrong, we had a great cruise as usual. But from the moment we stepped onboard we were looking at ourselves constantly wondering what the world the ship designers were thinking with regards to the forward elevators!

For those that have not had the pleasure...(especially having a forward cabin), the elevators are all individually controlled in sets of two. So even though there were 8-10 elevators in the front, each set was controlled individually by a set of buttons. So what you'd have the whole week is people getting frustrated and pushing every set of buttons! So all the time the elevator would stop on EVERY FLOOR when you were trying to get somewhere.

So, we asked a crew member one day and he told us the whole reason this mess happened is because when Vista was introduced, it had an elevator program it was beta testing. Basically, you would type in the floor you were going to on a keypad and it would tell you which elevator to wait in front of. He said it worked fine and really it reminds me of skyscraper elevator systems I've experienced. Anyways, he said they pulled the system and that is why they have the complete mess they have today. He said he tells everyone that mentions it to put it in the survey to bring back the beta system or fix the mess Carnival has caused,

In summary, Vista is a fun ship, but I would highly recommend avoiding a cabin that relies on the forward elevator Bank, it is a NIGHTMARE!

I love that system. I've seen it in some hotels and it works great. They definitely need to bring it back.

I also noticed something similar on the Sunshine too with the call buttons. One set of call buttons only work on 4 out of 6 elevators and there was a different button for the other 2 elevators

That is probably due to the fact that 2 elevators were added to the ship when the Destiny became the Sunshine,

Thanks will take the stairs.