Marriage and Cruising

xbriannao

Hello!

I'm married but my license still reads my maiden name. (It would cost me to get a new one and I had JUST updated it before I got married, so they let me keep my maiden name on it and I have a name change card with my married name/address that I show people when they need to see my ID.)

I believe I read somewhere that I need to bring my ID, name change card, birth certificate, and marriage license to get onboard. My married name is the one on the booking.

Does anyone have any insight to this? Additionally have any of you experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a passport? Is the name change card something you filled out and just hold onto or is it an official government form, stamped or noted by a government official?

You must travel under the name of your official document, Drivers license with your birth certificate or passport, assuming you were born here. Easiest thing to do is travel under your maiden name. If they won't change it at no cost, then they should be able to change it at the port during check in.

If you do end up traveling on your maiden name, be sure to call the VIFP club when you get around to changing your name. When DW and I made platinum.. she didn't. They did not have her first cruise in her profile because she took it in her maiden name.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much is a new driver's license?? Do you have time to get a new license before you leave? You are going to need to get it changed anyway. It just seems like you are making your life more difficult by not getting the new license. I''m not trying to be harsh, but it just seems like a normal process. I'm sure you have to do the name change on several items; checks, credit cards, etc. Just another item to take care of.

Congrats on your marriage and have a wonderful cruise.

How much is a new driver's license?? Do you have time to get a new license before you leave? You are going to need to get it changed anyway. It just seems like you are making your life more difficult by not getting the new license. I''m not trying to be harsh, but it just seems like a normal process. I'm sure you have to do the name change on several items; checks, credit cards, etc. Just another item to take care of.

Congrats on your marriage and have a wonderful cruise.

There's no reason for a woman to change her name if she doesn't want to. I know plenty of women who kept their maiden name for work. It's not a requirement on marriage, it's also OK for men to change their names to their wife's if they want to. I know one who did this because he preferred his wife's name 😊

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

There's no reason for a woman to change her name if she doesn't want to. I know plenty of women who kept their maiden name for work. It's not a requirement on marriage, it's also OK for men to change their names to their wife's if they want to. I know one who did this because he preferred his wife's name 😊

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I think you missed the point of the original post. No one said it is requirement to change names.. My wife did not, and I can care less.

In her original post, she has changed her name, just not finished with changing all the documents that she will need to change. She apparently does not want to spend the $10-$20 at her States DMV for a reprint.

I think you missed the point of the original post. No one said it is requirement to change names.. My wife did not, and I can care less.

In her original post, she has changed her name, just not finished with changing all the documents that she will need to change. She apparently does not want to spend the $10-$20 at her States DMV for a reprint.

I was replying to easypeazy who stated OP had to change her drivers licence (because she was married) not to your comment about your spouse😊

I believe I was the first person to reply to OP, 'change your name on booking'.

There are many valid reasons people (both male & female) want to change their names and just as many as why they don't 🤔 It just riles me up a bit the automatic assumption that a woman will change her name on marriage 😀

I can't help myself but respond 😕

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

To clarify for everyone,

I appreciate all your feedback. I do take my husband's name, and all my documents are switched over. Everything as far as checks, bills, etc are all in my husband's name. The only thing that isn't is the actual license, which the name change card takes priority over. Essentially if I get pulled over they don't even care to see the license, just the name change card. I'm not being stingy and not wanting to pay the 30$ to get the license fixed. The issue was I had JUST gotten a new license and if it's not important, we really don't care to pay the money for it. Being that I don't ever need it, I'd rather spend that 30$ on something else. Trust me, I'm a well organized person who currently has 2 jobs and is a full time graduate student. Meaning I have all my ducks in a row. I could get it changed, and it wouldn't be an issue. Everything is changed, the license itself just was not a priority because of the previously explained reason. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this situation before. I will either change my name on the booking or on my license before the cruise. No biggie.

But thanks for everyone's replies and input! I appreciate the feedback.(:

Sounds like you will have a wonderful and much deserved cruise!

This is from Carnival's website regarding Travel Documentation:

Note: For newly married or soon-to-be married brides, we strongly recommend that if the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, the cruise booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name); If the reservation was made in the married name, but the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate or marriage license. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

It looks like you have will be fine with your current documentation.

Safe and Happy Travels!

I was replying to easypeazy who stated OP had to change her drivers licence (because she was married) not to your comment about your spouse😊

There are many valid reasons people (both male & female) want to change their names and just as many as why they don't 🤔 It just riles me up a bit the automatic assumption that a woman will change her name on marriage 😀

I can't help myself but respond 😕

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Just for the record, I wasn't advocating that everyone had to change their name just because they were married. That is a personal decision and I would never advise one way or the other.

You seem very passionate about your position and that is fine, but it's not necessary to read a bias into a simple response.

I was merely trying to say that getting the name change on the DL could make life a lot simpler. And as you can see, the OP already made her decision to change her last name.

I believe I was the first person to reply to OP, 'change your name on booking'.

To clarify for everyone,

I appreciate all your feedback. I do take my husband's name, and all my documents are switched over. Everything as far as checks, bills, etc are all in my husband's name. The only thing that isn't is the actual license, which the name change card takes priority over. Essentially if I get pulled over they don't even care to see the license, just the name change card. I'm not being stingy and not wanting to pay the 30$ to get the license fixed. The issue was I had JUST gotten a new license and if it's not important, we really don't care to pay the money for it. Being that I don't ever need it, I'd rather spend that 30$ on something else. Trust me, I'm a well organized person who currently has 2 jobs and is a full time graduate student. Meaning I have all my ducks in a row. I could get it changed, and it wouldn't be an issue. Everything is changed, the license itself just was not a priority because of the previously explained reason. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this situation before. I will either change my name on the booking or on my license before the cruise. No biggie.

But thanks for everyone's replies and input! I appreciate the feedback.(:

I don't know what you plan on doing in the next 6 years, but there are many new regulations when it comes to flying, and just maybe, you might want to fix this, if not for now, but for the future. Personally, I would change the license so you don't have to be concerned now, or in the future.

Just keep in mind that not every state issues name change cards so if you're out of state, you may have a little bit of an issue. My state issues change of address cards but requires a new license for a name change. I carried a change of address card around with me for a long time and it was quite a pain. Many times if someone had to put in my info, they would type in the wrong address. I would recommend just getting the new license for $30 and then you will never have to deal with it again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hello!

I'm married but my license still reads my maiden name. (It would cost me to get a new one and I had JUST updated it before I got married, so they let me keep my maiden name on it and I have a name change card with my married name/address that I show people when they need to see my ID.)

I believe I read somewhere that I need to bring my ID, name change card, birth certificate, and marriage license to get onboard. My married name is the one on the booking. !

I reposted the OP's original post with the references that she IS planning on taking the married name - just not wanting to pay to change it on her driver's liscence ....................

so PLEASE let's not make this a discussion about whether a woman needs to take her husband's name.

I agree with the poster who said why not get the driver's license changed instead of waiting - get it over with ? :)