NCL Getaway - Internet speeds

jyt822

We are headed off on the getaway for the TA in Oct 2017. I'd like to use Skype to connect with work back home...yes, I know, I'm on vacation...but I'm a workacholic. :)

I've read about the super slow internet speeds on this forum. Does anyone have experience using the ship internet for video calls (via Skype, wechat, whatsapp, etc)?

Speed on Getaway is OK, not horrible, but not good enough to stream video unless you upgraded to the high speed package. Even then, if is slow and the video is poor quality. It is no where near as bad as the above posters make it out to be. I had no trouble using CC, and other similar sites this past spring. Emails, as long as they did not have large attachments were fine.

Skype, Facetime, WhatsApp/WeChats, Google's Duo/Hangouts & similar VoIP apps should work over Getaway's satellite-based "broadband" WiFi (paid) connections at sea on a T/A - it has worked 90% to 95% of the time for one of our niece/family & their friends sailing her over the last 3 years out of Miami.

It is over a shared, throttled & cache connection with priorities given to ship's operational, safety & navigational needs over the links - and subject to congestions & coverage, especially in the big Atlantic ... you do NOT have any other options if you "must" be connected from time to time. Streaming video as in Youtube, Netflix or Amazon video are another story and should be not confused.

See this technical article for background info - I would advise to install several apps & get them "tested" at home first ... with the office or what not. http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/software/google-duo-vs-facetime-vs-skype-vs-messenger-3634425/

It should be noted - latest tech review/study - that Skype do use "more" bandwidth but should work over ship's connection that's 3G speed (128k/256k being minimum but ideally, 1M to 3M preferred for optimal video calling ... or else, switch to audio only).

Both the Escape & Getaway are on the latest/newest 3-tiered plans ... (but, I believe & stand correctly, that the minutes plan are still being offered) whereas the Breakaway is still the only ship offering the MB-data based option ... in addition to the unlimited plan.

For work-related needs and if it can be "expensed" or charged back, selecting the unlimited plan can be considered & if it does not work, request a refund and/or credit for not being to use it. Onboard internet cafe manager do know when their hardware & connectivity aren't functioning well and will "adjust" upon request, IMO.

Good luck & do share your post TA experience (after this October) - check back in late Sept/early Oct. before your sailing to see if there's any new development as fleetwide upgrades to ship's internet are "supposed" to roll out this summer ... fingers & legs crossed.

Did the Transatlantic on the Getaway to Europe this year and there were major portions of numerous days where there was NO SERVICE WHATSOEVER! There were also lots of times where service was very poor and other times when it was just passable. When in port all seemed to be ok but be prepared for the worst.

Did the Transatlantic on the Getaway to Europe this year and there were major portions of numerous days where there was NO SERVICE WHATSOEVER! There were also lots of times where service was very poor and other times when it was just passable. When in port all seemed to be ok but be prepared for the worst.

It was the same in the Baltic. Queues of people at the desk looking for refunds.