Just a little whinge but...

Fredette

As you can see from my signature below, I have been on one or two cruises. I have now booked for a P&O cruise (not P&O Australia) and was disappointed to find myself considered a 'first time cruiser' without any of the teeny perks that repeat cruisers get - despite having been on several P&O Australia cruises, and Cunard, and Princess which are P&O 'sister' lines. So we don't even merit an invite to the Captain's party, despite being repeat cruisers.

It just irks that the scheme is called a 'loyalty' scheme, yet it appears to be confined to each individual line.

If I have a frequent shopper card given to me by a business within a group of businesses, it is generally honoured at ALL businesses in the chain, not just the one, so why the difference with cruise ships? It's almost like P&O doesn't actually value people who choose to return and sample their different offerings. :(

I do agree that P&O should recognize past sailings on P&O Australia and Princess at least, due to the common ancestry of the lines. As you say, Princess and P&O Australia do so.

What's more, past cruise history with P&O as a child is taken into account by the these companies and not by P&O itself. After my next P&O cruise I'll be Elite status on Princess and still bottom tier with P&O. I'm also looking at MSC for reasons including they will match Elite status.

Unlike terrier john, I think P&O has upped its game considerably with customer service and recent concerns have been dealt with promptly and satisfactorily on the whole. However I absolutely understand how you're feeling about the loyalty Fredette. We cruise a lot with P&O UK but also with Princess and Cunard to a lesser extent. On our first cruise with Princess we got some recognition wit points towards our P&O loyalty tier, but nothing since.

Have you thought of putting something on that other social media site that can't be mentioned here? Try posting on their official page and put a bit of pressure on.

"The line is also instating a new senior loyalty and cruise sales manager onboard all eight ships from July to offer advice about future holidays and the line's loyalty scheme, the Peninsular Club."

You should try speaking to one of the new loyalty managers when onboard and make them aware of your situation. May not help but worth a try.

We are also all patiently waiting to see what changes P&O will make to the loyalty scheme when (if) they ever get round to announcing it. I believe the announcement is now well overdue according to the timescales that were discussed on here.

I read a interesting article about loyalty schemes in general and the writer thought that they were ticking time-bombs for a brand as for everyone who hangs on because of the perks others will move in if the perks go / diminish or in the case of the OP are not given reciprocity acros the brand.

The OP is potentially an example of this, If P&O don't recognise their Brand loyalty they might consider moving to another line as they will be "new cruisers" there are much as with P&O

At one time, P&O did recognise cruises taken with Princess but I don't know about P&O Australia. I think they stopped recognising cruises taken with Princess when they formally separated and Princess were no longer known as P&O Princess. Cunard has never really been a 'sister' line - they just happen to owned by the same company, Carnival. Carnival of course is the biggest owner of Cruise Lines and consists of many brands that run autonomously. I don't really think it would be viable for each line to accept loyalty points gained on all the other lines. I do however understand your point regarding P&O UK and P&O Australia.

I was disgusted when P&O revamped their loyalty scheme last time (around the time we returned to cruising 5 years ago) and we were told that the points we had previously accrued would be carried over.

By now this would have put us on the second from bottom tier of the loyalty scheme, but because P&O did not honour its promise we are still languishing at the bottom and will need another cruise to move us up.

At this rate I will need a Lottery win to get me to Ligurian!

As you can see from my signature below, I have been on one or two cruises. I have now booked for a P&O cruise (not P&O Australia) and was disappointed to find myself considered a 'first time cruiser' without any of the teeny perks that repeat cruisers get - despite having been on several P&O Australia cruises, and Cunard, and Princess which are P&O 'sister' lines. So we don't even merit an invite to the Captain's party, despite being repeat cruisers.

It just irks that the scheme is called a 'loyalty' scheme, yet it appears to be confined to each individual line.

If I have a frequent shopper card given to me by a business within a group of businesses, it is generally honoured at ALL businesses in the chain, not just the one, so why the difference with cruise ships? It's almost like P&O doesn't actually value people who choose to return and sample their different offerings. :(

If by Captain's Party you mean the Captain's Welcome Aboard Reception (usually the 2nd night on board and first formal night), ALL passengers can attend that. It is not restricted in any way. Although the Captain's talk is interesting, the freebie drinks are poor quality (especially the cheap fizz and white wine which are both IMHO undrinkable).

The problem P&O have had for many years is huge numbers of repeat cruisers, which has lead to excessive numbers of high tier loyalty grade passengers. If they also recognised cruises on sister brands in terms of loyalty recognition the problem would get even worse. It is true to say that cruises done with P&O UK before a certain date do not count as much to more recent cruises.

It is not possible for everybody to be special to a cruise line, although everybody is special to their family. If huge numbers of cruises on sister lines were accepted as loyal the perks given to the passengers would have to diminish significantly. Top tier might get a blue biro with your name on it.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Welcome to the club Fredette, there are quite a few of us who think P&O have a steep learning curve ahead of them to approach the level of customer service that other cruise lines provide.

Wrong they all do the same with regard to loyalty. You are on your high horse again.

Only Princess accept other lines in the Carnival Group.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

The problem P&O have had for many years is huge numbers of repeat cruisers, which has lead to excessive numbers of high tier loyalty grade passengers. If they also recognised cruises on sister brands in terms of loyalty recognition the problem would get even worse. It is true to say that cruises done with P&O UK before a certain date do not count as much to more recent cruises.

It is not possible for everybody to be special to a cruise line, although everybody is special to their family. If huge numbers of cruises on sister lines were accepted as loyal the perks given to the passengers would have to diminish significantly. Top tier might get a blue biro with your name on it.

Regards John

I agree and that's why it is a ticking timebomb. Other lines do recognise their sister companies eg RCI / celebrity, some are even offering to match loyalty levels I believe MSC do.

Every time they change the goal posts for "loyalty" for everyone they make happy there are as many that are not.

You are quite correct that it is not possible for everyone to be "special" and most people understand that however the value of a loyalty scheme (and face it is actually all about adding to the bottom line) will eventually back fire if people think that after years and years of loyalty they are no closer to becoming "special".

It won't stop them cruising with P&O if it suits them but they may not do so exclusively. Big ships to fill.

I think the huge majority of people make their purchase decisions exclusively based on price these days, going for the cheapest. Some also seek out something specific, a P&O cruise for example and go through various agents, discount shopper schemes, credit card cash back opportunities, shopper points clubs or direct with the cruise line. There is not a great deal of loyalty in this the way I see it.

Loyalty is about sticking with something even when times are rough, it gets painful or awkward to continue but you do anyway whatever happens. I remember a story about Frank Sinatra when he was in concert and his dementia had got the better of him. The band played the whole tune while Frank just stood there not singing. At the end of the tune the audience sat in complete silence except one guy who stood up and shouted, "Don't worry about it Frank we still love you". Frank nailed the next song to perfection. I still love P&O cruises and do not worry about what loyalty bonus I might be getting.

Regards John

Good definition but then it has to work both in both directions does it not?

I also think you are right about a lot of people shopping around. I admit to doing so but not for what is cheapest but for what is best value - two completely different things.

I am not loyal to any cruise company because they can and the case of P&O did change the goalposts. Loyalty has to be 2 way IMO.

Good definition but then it has to work both in both directions does it not?

I also think you are right about a lot of people shopping around. I admit to doing so but not for what is cheapest but for what is best value - two completely different things.

I am not loyal to any cruise company because they can and the case of P&O did change the goalposts. Loyalty has to be 2 way IMO.

Cheapest and best value may be different things but unless you are seeking to book on a specific cruise line I see no loyalty situation arising.

I do not think loyalty has to be "a two way thing", I mean, I am only going to be loyal to you if there is something in it for me, does not sound very loyal.

You're not loyal to any cruise line but think it has to be 2 way, so it's catch 22 and not going to be relevant to yourself as far as your thinking goes.

Regards John

Cheapest and best value may be different things but unless you are seeking to book on a specific cruise line I see no loyalty situation arising.

I do not think loyalty has to be "a two way thing", I mean, I am only going to be loyal to you if there is something in it for me, does not sound very loyal.

You're not loyal to any cruise line but think it has to be 2 way, so it's catch 22 and not going to be relevant to yourself as far as your thinking goes.

Regards John

I'm not loyal now as in the past loyalty to one company proved to be a complete waste of time.

You are absolutely free to have your view but for me one way loyalty in any relationship, business or personal is not acceptable. That does not necessarily mean "something in it for me" but it does mean basic some respect.

Anyway, very interesting discussion John, thanks for that.

I think the huge majority of people make their purchase decisions exclusively based on price these days, going for the cheapest. Some also seek out something specific, a P&O cruise for example and go through various agents, discount shopper schemes, credit card cash back opportunities, shopper points clubs or direct with the cruise line. There is not a great deal of loyalty in this the way I see it.

Loyalty is about sticking with something even when times are rough, it gets painful or awkward to continue but you do anyway whatever happens. I remember a story about Frank Sinatra when he was in concert and his dementia had got the better of him. The band played the whole tune while Frank just stood there not singing. At the end of the tune the audience sat in complete silence except one guy who stood up and shouted, "Don't worry about it Frank we still love you". Frank nailed the next song to perfection. I still love P&O cruises and do not worry about what loyalty bonus I might be getting.

Regards John

The problem with that theory is that P&O have made a business decision to split their Australian business from their 'core' business, which means that even though both lines are identifiable as P&O, they are not the same. Whereas if I take a cruise in Australia on RCI, Carnival, Princess, MSC etc... whatever 'loyalty points' I accrue are recognisable by the cruise line as it is the same line. However P&O do not operate out of Australia, they have rebadged their Australian business as P&O Australia, and P&O Australia do not have a 'loyalty' scheme as such so basically your 'loyalty' to the brand is unrecognised by both.

Loyalty schemes exist to try to sway a consumer to use a particular business, and unless P&O compete with the others, they might end up losing. It's not good business to disregard someone's past 'loyalty' just because of semantics.

Loyalty schemes and loyalty are two completely different things.

If you are loyal to something/someone they don't have to do anything for you to remain loyal to them.

Loyalty schemes are marketing tricks invented by companies to persuade people to continue to give them money by offering them some low value baubles.

Members of the loyalty schemes convince themselves these trinkets are worthwhile, when if they actually looked around they could most likely get a better deal from another supplier.

Wrong they all do the same with regard to loyalty. You are on your high horse again.

Dai, If you really think that all cruise line loyalty schemes offer the same rewards you're beyond help, however I do agree that I have a major issue with P&O's service standards, but never been an equine lover.

Dai, If you really think that all cruise line loyalty schemes offer the same rewards you're beyond help, however I do agree that I have a major issue with P&O's service standards, but never been an equine lover.

John where did I say that or have you lost your ability to read again.

Reply to what I say not what you think I am saying.

Quoted by DaiB; Wrong they all do the same with regard to loyalty. You are on your high horse again.

John where did I say that or have you lost your ability to read again.

Reply to what I say not what you think I am saying.

Dai' date=' I took your first post to imply that all Cruise Line Loyalty schemes provided the same rewards, which clearly they do not. In my opinion the loyalty schemes are part and parcel of the customer service that the cruise lines provide, and P&O's offers far less than any of their major competitors, including its stablemate Princess.

So please stop using [i']wrong [/i]to try and justify your opinion ahead of that of anyone else.

Quoted by DaiB; Wrong they all do the same with regard to loyalty. You are on your high horse again.

Dai, I took your first post to imply that all Cruise Line Loyalty schemes provided the same rewards, which clearly they do not. In my opinion the loyalty schemes are part and parcel of the customer service that the cruise lines provide, and P&O's offers far less than any of their major competitors, including its stablemate Princess.

So please stop using wrong to try and justify your opinion ahead of that of anyone else.

John you are still wrong you are taking it out of context. The question was about accepting cruises from other cruise lines. I was careful to say that Princess accept P&O.

Stop reading my post wrongly to fit your ideas of P&O.

I never mentioned the rewards at all.

John you are still wrong you are taking it out of context. The question was about accepting cruises from other cruise lines. I was careful to say that Princess accept P&O.

Stop reading my post wrongly to fit your ideas of P&O.

I never mentioned the rewards at all.

What i would change with P&O is although i get 7.5% discount for my loyalty it only kicks in after obc is used up whereas i think it should apply before obc is used up.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app