"Free "travel insurance with credit card

chitchatholmes

I have cruised about 20 times relying on Westpac Bank free travel insurance, without a claim. This time, we booked the full world cruise. $74000. The unthinkable happened, daughter in law diagnosed with cancer 2 weeks before the cruise date. No refunds from Princess of course. The free insurance??? Paid up the full amount. Well done Westpac. Hope this puts some people's minds at rest [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does your credit card insurance include health, evacuation, and repatriation?

Hope your daughter does well.

Yes, the 'free' credit card insurance in Australia does. They also cover the usual things that travel insurance covers, but there is an excess to pay - probably the first $200. It really means that you are only paying the $$$ when you have a claim. Otherwise the insurance is free, although you may have to pay for part or all of your trip on the credit card. This proviso varies depending on the bank.

Thanks for the good wishes from you all. Best to download the PDF from any policy and read very carefully, as they can vary a bit. This one compared very well with a paid one quoted at $3600!!! (110 days)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was saddened to hear of your DIL's health issue. I hope things are going well. It was interesting to hear of your experience with the credit card travel insurance.

It often surprises me how people rubbish the credit card travel insurance. I wonder whether they have read the PDF or whether they assume that the old adage applies "You only get what you pay for".:)

Best to download the PDF from any policy and read very carefully, as they can vary a bit.

I second this. We also have a Westpac card, and I was planning on relying on the free insurance until I read the PDS. Our cruise has domestic Australian ports only, so isn't covered. I'm glad we didn't find out the hard way!

So glad it worked out for you, and all my best wishes for your daughter-in-law.

Yes, the 'free' credit card insurance in Australia does. They also cover the usual things that travel insurance covers, but there is an excess to pay - probably the first $200. It really means that you are only paying the $$$ when you have a claim. Otherwise the insurance is free, although you may have to pay for part or all of your trip on the credit card. This proviso varies depending on the bank.

Thanks for the response. That's a very good deal. The cards I've seen in the US that provide trip insurance don't cover medical, evacuation, or repatriation.

Thanks for the response. That's a very good deal. The cards I've seen in the US that provide trip insurance don't cover medical, evacuation, or repatriation.

Generally true. Chase Sapphire Reserve is an exception that provides some medical and evacuation coverage but it's pretty basic ($2,500 medical / $100,000 evacuation). But there are also supplemental medical and evacuation policies available. I've compared a couple and am planning to use GeoBlue for an upcoming cruise. Their "Voyager Choice" plan has no pre-existing conditions restrictions but does require that you have a current primary health plan. Between that and the cancellation and delay coverage provided by the credit card we used, we think we will be adequately covered.

Glad you were covered. Hope your daughter-in-law's condition improves. I had regular insurance through the cruise line (HAL) last year when I had to cancel a cruise. My Visa card provided secondary coverage for the amount that the HAL insurance did not pay as well as for reimbursing me for my prepaid hotel.