Cheers Question

SmallMama

I am not sure if this been asked before,but it was too many post to read through. I am first time cruiser going on my first cruise with my son and parents in May 2018. I am debating on getting the cheers package since I am the only adult in my room. If I get water, will they make a big deal if I give my son some? I do not really allow him to have any juice, he is 4. Will it also be a big deal if he took a sip of my shake, non alcoholic, or smooth? Again I will never get one of these items to let him have it and I will only let him have a few sips unless I want a hyper, uncontrollable kid 😦. Any help will be appreciated. I am still trying figure if it worth me in buying the cheers program. I only drink a few fruity alcoholic drinks, but like flavor coffee drink and energy drinks.

How much flavored coffee, energy drinks, water, milkshakes, fruity drinks do YOU think you can drink in a days time?

It is difficult to answer that for us. Everyone's habits are different. You know yourself the best.

A sip or two from a 4 year old wouldn't change a thing IMHO.

It's interesting that your child is not allowed juice but is allowed other sugar-laden beverages such as shakes . . . Be careful: in my experience, once a child tastes something yummy, he/she will whine for more! [emoji4]

You should not have trouble sharing a few sips because you will have to buy the shake or smoothie at cost anyway, as those are not included in Cheers. The only non-alcoholic drinks are sodas and juices, which you do not allow. Well, there is tea, but not many children drink tea without sugar. Drinks are sodas and juices, which you do not allow. Well, there is tea, but not many children drink tea without sugar. It's interesting that your child is not allowed juice but is allowed other sugar-laden beverages such as shakes . . . Be careful: in my experience, once a child tastes something yummy, he/she will whine for more! [emoji4]

You should not have trouble sharing a few sips. Water not bottled from the Lido deck is free; simply bring a tumbler cup for him.

Overall, it does not seem Cheers is for you. Not many people will drink 15 coffee and energy drinks in one day. You can buy your canned coffee (Starbucks) and energy drinks beforehand, and place them in a drink box (e.g. emptied energy drink box) to carry on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by KappaLady

I am not sure if this been asked before,but it was too many post to read through. I am first time cruiser going on my first cruise with my son and parents in May 2018. I am debating on getting the cheers package since I am the only adult in my room. If I get water, will they make a big deal if I give my son some? I do not really allow him to have any juice, he is 4. Will it also be a big deal if he took a sip of my shake, non alcoholic, or smooth? Again I will never get one of these items to let him have it and I will only let him have a few sips unless I want a hyper, uncontrollable kid 😦. Any help will be appreciated. I am still trying figure if it worth me in buying the cheers program. I only drink a few fruity alcoholic drinks, but like flavor coffee drink and energy drinks.

I think it is highly unlikely anyone would say a word about sharing a few sips of your beverages with your 4 year old. Common sense says keeping a 4 year old happy is priceless! Lol.

Have a great cruise!

It's interesting that your child is not allowed juice but is allowed other sugar-laden beverages such as shakes . . . Be careful: in my experience, once a child tastes something yummy, he/she will whine for more! [emoji4]

You should not have trouble sharing a few sips because you will have to buy the shake or smoothie at cost anyway, as those are not included in Cheers. The only non-alcoholic drinks are sodas and juices, which you do not allow. Well, there is tea, but not many children drink tea without sugar. Water not bottled from the Lido deck is free; simply bring a tumbler cup for him.

Overall, it does not seem Cheers is for you. Not many people will drink 15 coffee and energy drinks in one day. You can buy your canned coffee (Starbucks) and energy drinks beforehand, and place them in a drink box (e.g. emptied energy drink box) to carry on the ship.

Milkshakes are now included in Cheers, and have been for awhile. Along with sodas, juice, specialty coffee, bottled water, and energy drinks.

To answer the original question, according to the policy there is no sharing. However, you can order something and decide you don't like it and just discard it.

Personally, if I was going to bend this rule, I would not have an issue with sharing a bit of water from a bottle or a sip or two from a shake. But I also would not do that right in front of the staff I just got the item from.

As to if it is worth it, you need to spend roughly $54 on average a day to break even. That is 6 mixed drinks, 7-8 beers, or 7-8 coffee's/shakes ( pretty sure the menu prices is in the same range as beer)

We always go without the package now, as we dont average that much a day.. also I dont want to feel like I have to drink, to break even. To each their own though.

Well, tap water is freely available for everyone at every venue. Unless the 2 of you exclusively drink bottled water I can't see that being an issue.

No, I don't think a 'sip' will be an issue as long as you don't mean handing him a shake for him to drink and if someone questions say he's just having a 'sip' of your drink.

But it sounds like cheers isn't necessarily cost effective for you. At $50 a day you can have a few fruity drinks and a coffee or energy drink unless you plan on sipping those all day long. Don't worry about 15 as the target, that's only for alcoholic drinks anyway, coffee and energy drinks are unlimited. Just look at whether you'll come close enough to breaking even most days for it to be worth it.

My apologies for the redundancy in my previous post-- wifi issues.

I have never needed Cheers, but when asked of Carnival rep. Valerie, she informed that shakes were not covered with Cheers! That is frustrating; I wish the reps. were more accurate!

My apologies for the redundancy in my previous post-- wifi issues.

I have never needed Cheers, but when asked of Carnival rep. Valerie, she informed that shakes were not covered with Cheers! That is frustrating; I wish the reps. were more accurate!

This is straight from the Carnival website concerning the Cheers package:

The following beverages are now available within the enhanced CHEERS! program:

• All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer and wine (and Champagne) by the glass, with a $50 USD or lower menu price per serving
  • Zero-Proof frozen cocktails (including smoothies), sodas (including specialty sodas) and juices
  • Specialty coffees and hot tea served in the main dining rooms, specialty restaurants and coffee bars
  • Milkshakes, where applicable
  • RockStar energy drinks, Powerade, Vitamin Water, Coconut Water and Honest Tea
  • 500ml bottled water and other non-alcoholic bottled beverages served in bars and lounges
  • Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for any spirit, cocktail or wine by the glass, costing above $50 USD per serving
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle and larger format water bottles purchased outside the main dining rooms or specialty restaurants
  • 25 percent discount off beverage seminars and classes

Enjoy

That is not an issue in fact real life story. My 12 year old daughter had bottomless bubbles while I had cheers. I ordered an alcoholic drink and the bartender took it upon himself to make her a smoothie and put it on my cheers. In reality I don't think they care what you do with drinks that don't contain alcohol.

How much flavored coffee, energy drinks, water, milkshakes, fruity drinks do YOU think you can drink in a days time?

It is difficult to answer that for us. Everyone's habits are different. You know yourself the best.

A sip or two from a 4 year old wouldn't change a thing IMHO.

I can drink plenty of water. Coffee normally twice, I can see myself get the fruity drinks maybe 3, but probably no more than 4. Energy drink will be on the way off the ship.

I can drink plenty of water. Coffee normally twice, I can see myself get the fruity drinks maybe 3, but probably no more than 4. Energy drink will be on the way off the ship.

4 Fruity Drinks approx $7.00-$8.00

2 Coffee's approx $5.00-6.00

1 Energy approx $5.00

At low end that's approx $43.00. That gives you something to think about.

Well, tap water is freely available for everyone at every venue. Unless the 2 of you exclusively drink bottled water I can't see that being an issue.

No, I don't think a 'sip' will be an issue as long as you don't mean handing him a shake for him to drink and if someone questions say he's just having a 'sip' of your drink.

But it sounds like cheers isn't necessarily cost effective for you. At $50 a day you can have a few fruity drinks and a coffee or energy drink unless you plan on sipping those all day long. Don't worry about 15 as the target, that's only for alcoholic drinks anyway, coffee and energy drinks are unlimited. Just look at whether you'll come close enough to breaking even most days for it to be worth it.

I was not clear he does not have any sugar substance for he is a hyper kid already and water/almond milk is his thing. Since we are going vacation I can let him have a little fun with a little sugar, but still not too much for i know he will get super hyper and possible sick. We only drink bottle water even at home which i know sounds crazy to some just my preference. I am confused on cheers because a rep did say shakes are included yet that is not a deal breaker. I heard drinks are expensive though and I could break even at 5 drinks. Is that not the case?

I was not clear he does not have any sugar substance for he is a hyper kid already and water/almond milk is his thing. Since we are going vacation I can let him have a little fun with a little sugar, but still not too much for i know he will get super hyper and possible sick. We only drink bottle water even at home which i know sounds crazy to some just my preference. I am confused on cheers because a rep did say shakes are included yet that is not a deal breaker. I heard drinks are expensive though and I could break even at 5 drinks. Is that not the case?

Carnival Website says milkshakes included.

Add a milkshake and 3-4 bottles of water to what I listed above and that puts you at break even or a little ahead.

4 Fruity Drinks approx $7.00-$8.00

2 Coffee's approx $5.00-6.00

1 Energy approx $5.00

At low end that's approx $43.00. That gives you something to think about.

7.00 -8.00 is before the 15% gratuity ????

so a more realist charge would be 7.95 x 15%= 9.14

I haven't cruised in about 4yrs, so would this be more accurate?

Or is 7-8 bucks total with everything included!!!

You pay 15% gratuity per drink and on the cost of the drink package, if you are close to breaking even it doesn't really matter which way you calculate it. But no, that would be before gratuities.

If your plan is to walk up to a bartender and grab a bottle of water and hand it to your son, and do that all week, then yes, there's a decent chance you'll run into a bartender that has a problem with it. At the end of the day the packages are for one - not for you to justify sharing because you drink on the lower end.

I don't think anyone will take issue with him having a sip of your drink but grabbing bottles all day so your son gets free bottled water is a bit different.

You may want to pay the few extra dollars to have a case of water in your room if you drink exclusively bottled anyway.

When you purchase Cheers the 15% is added in. If you are purchasing by the drink yes you would have to add in the 15%.

So yes with Cheers the 7.00-8.00 would be close.

Sorry but sharing is prohibited - You said your child only drinks bottled water - So obviously your child is not going to be satisfied with a few sips of each bottle of water you get which tells me your intention really is to give your child bottled water from your plan - Sharing is not Okay under any circumstances

As someone else suggested you can order a dozen bottled waters for around $4 before you even get on the boat - In fact have a few of them sent to your room so your prepared

Cheers package is approximately $57.44 a day with gratuity added. You can buy cases of water from the Fun Shops, which will be waiting in your cabin when you board. I think the price is $4.99 now, but somebody can correct that if it is wrong. Last time I bought, it was $2.99.

You have to figure out how many port days and will you be drinking as much alcohol on port days as you would Sea days. You could probably make up your own milkshake with the soft serve ice cream, if it's just going to be an occasional thing.

I'm not so sure the Cheers package is really worth it for you.

That is not an issue in fact real life story. My 12 year old daughter had bottomless bubbles while I had cheers. I ordered an alcoholic drink and the bartender took it upon himself to make her a smoothie and put it on my cheers. In reality I don't think they care what you do with drinks that don't contain alcohol.

Oh good!

I think it is highly unlikely anyone would say a word about sharing a few sips of your beverages with your 4 year old. Common sense says keeping a 4 year old happy is priceless! Lol.

Have a great cruise!

I would say so. Plus a happy kid= even happier mom who will most likely be a repeat cruiser if everything works out great. I am excited and nervous for we have not been on any trips since he has became a unpredictable toddler. Thanks for the input!

Milkshakes are now included in Cheers, and have been for awhile. Along with sodas, juice, specialty coffee, bottled water, and energy drinks.

To answer the original question, according to the policy there is no sharing. However, you can order something and decide you don't like it and just discard it.

Personally, if I was going to bend this rule, I would not have an issue with sharing a bit of water from a bottle or a sip or two from a shake. But I also would not do that right in front of the staff I just got the item from.

As to if it is worth it, you need to spend roughly $54 on average a day to break even. That is 6 mixed drinks, 7-8 beers, or 7-8 coffee's/shakes ( pretty sure the menu prices is in the same range as beer)

We always go without the package now, as we dont average that much a day.. also I dont want to feel like I have to drink, to break even. To each their own though.

Thanks! I thought I was told the wrong info about the shakes from carnival. I will say I see your point and have heard cruiser state they felt pressure to drink more to break even so I might pass on this.

Thanks everyone for the input. Based on the advice I received, I think I'm going without the package this time and look at what I spend on drinks afterwards to determine if next time if it is worth it for me.