Britannia -Black tie

doog442

We saw a gentleman on one of our formal nights ( sat at our shared dining table ) on Arcadia in a cream coloured suit and tie and he looked very smart. To be honest , who cares. Nobody at the table passed comment and he was obviously allowed in. I can think of much more important rules on board than whether they are wearing a tux or not.

Yes there are much more important rules, but are you suggesting we should only follow the most important rule? If we follow that logic then we should let of a mugger because it is not as bad as murder - extreme analogy!

To answer your question, I, and I suspect others, do care.

The fuss that everyone makes about what men wear always amuses me. The vast majority of men in DJs/ dark suits/ kilts/ all sort soft formal jackets and bow tie etc etc look very smart.

Now some of the women on the other hand look like they are dressed for a pint in the local spit and sawdust pub and yet no one ever has a go at them and some of the extreme examples of poor taste that are supposed to be female "formal wear".

I have seldom seen men in the MDR on a formal night who don't look the part but if I was on the door some of the women would not get in. This pronouncement has nothing to do with the colour or style of the outfit, that's personal taste. It has to do with the fact that a lady in nylon trousers and a top or a daywear skirt and top that looks like office wear is not formalwear and yet you see it on a regular basis.

The fuss that everyone makes about what men wear always amuses me. The vast majority of men in DJs/ dark suits/ kilts/ all sort soft formal jackets and bow tie etc etc look very smart.

Now some of the women on the other hand look like they are dressed for a pint in the local spit and sawdust pub and yet no one ever has a go at them and some of the extreme examples of poor taste that are supposed to be female "formal wear".

I have seldom seen men in the MDR on a formal night who don't look the part but if I was on the door some of the women would not get in. This pronouncement has nothing to do with the colour or style of the outfit, that's personal taste. It has to do with the fact that a lady in nylon trousers and a top or a daywear skirt and top that looks like office wear is not formalwear and yet you see it on a regular basis.

I foresee this thread becoming very interesting and must say I have never noticed a shabby ladies issue.

Lol John

Agree have seldom seen a man who doesnt look smart in the MDR on formal nights whether in a DJ or a suit of whatever colour. While ladies ......one formal night on Freedom Dining we shared a table with man in DJ, wife in pink baggy 3/4 trousers, a cream t-shirt with picture of an icecream on front and a pair of flip flops. Another night man in DJ, wife in black t-shirt with logo (could have been Black Sabbath ), black cords and trainers...... I could go on .... leave the men alone.

I have to agree.

We have agreed on some dark grey smart business trousers to go with either of the jackets. Our other P&O cruise was on Ventura and the dress code was very relaxed even though DH still wore his tux. I will be wearing my usual evening glitter but as I am still recovering from major foot surgery I will have to wear whatever shoes are the most comfortable at the time. So if you see someone in evening finery limping along in trainers, black of course, this will be me!:)

I've heard there is so much squabbling about dress codes they're going to revise it to Birthday Suits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you remember "Carry on Cruising" it had Harry Secombe in it playing a "Jackpot Pools Winner" who obviously had become elevated from his previous social status and booked a cruise on the "Happy Wanderer". One night he turns up at the MDR saying "You said we don't dress for dinner" and is totally naked.

Regards John

Do you remember "Carry on Cruising" it had Harry Secombe in it playing a "Jackpot Pools Winner" who obviously had become elevated from his previous social status and booked a cruise on the "Happy Wanderer". One night he turns up at the MDR saying "You said we don't dress for dinner" and is totally naked.

Regards John

Pull the other one [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Take no notice...wear whatever you're comfortable in. Yes there were men in tux and yes there were men in normal suits...both dark and light. And all looked smart! If your have a suit wear it, don't go to the extra expense, it's unnecessary. Many on here seem to be trying to keep the old fashioned trendy. It's not. The cruise is costing you enough. Don't waste money, go, be comfortable, enjoy, and don't be as daft as I was reading too many outdated comments on here!

Yes there are much more important rules, but are you suggesting we should only follow the most important rule? If we follow that logic then we should let of a mugger because it is not as bad as murder - extreme analogy!

...seriously... You're comparing murder to wearing a normal suit...get a grip of yourself. Some of the comments on here I've seen are outlandish but this has to be the worst! No one cares other than this extreme person. Trying to keep cruising fashion in the days of the 1900s is unhelpful. Money is tight in these days of austerity. Making people feel so uncomfortable on social media in order to keep unrealistic and outdated "fashion" pretense, and to try to keep the ideals of yesteryear is outrageous. Stop trying to scare people into spending unnecessarily, it's nothing short of bullying! I'm outraged!

...seriously... You're comparing murder to wearing a normal suit...get a grip of yourself. Some of the comments on here I've seen are outlandish but this has to be the worst! No one cares other than this extreme person. Trying to keep cruising fashion in the days of the 1900s is unhelpful. Money is tight in these days of austerity. Making people feel so uncomfortable on social media in order to keep unrealistic and outdated "fashion" pretense, and to try to keep the ideals of yesteryear is outrageous. Stop trying to scare people into spending unnecessarily, it's nothing short of bullying! I'm outraged!

Why are some people prepared to say absolutely anything to try and get their point over?

In what way is maintaining a dress code "keeping cruising in the days of the 1900s"? That is ridiculous. I also think its a bit much to comment that "Money is tight in these days os austerity" when you are referring to someone going on a cruise. Surely most people are able to buy some new clothes for their cruise, if not I would think they are on the wrong holiday.

The only thing these endless dress code arguments achieve is to put some people off cruising with P&O. As a Carnival shareholder I don't like that.

Lets be controversial!. P&O ships (apart from Adonia) are large enough to allow passengers do enjoy formal and evening casual dress codes at the same time. If you are uncomfortable with that reality you could try cruising on a more formal, or casual line, depending on your preference.

Thank you. As a new cruiser I had almost resigned myself to having to buy a tux after reading comments on here, but I am now planning to wear my suit which is usually only rolled out for weddings and funerals. That's a couple of hundred pounds that I can now spend enjoying my holiday, thanks again.

You are very welcome! And I hope I can help others! Have a fabulous time, you will love it:)

Thank you. As a new cruiser I had almost resigned myself to having to buy a tux after reading comments on here, but I am now planning to wear my suit which is usually only rolled out for weddings and funerals. That's a couple of hundred pounds that I can now spend enjoying my holiday, thanks again.

The advantage of a Forum is you get varied views.

IMO by far the vast majority of men wear DJ's. Some do wear suits and some decide that they will not adhere to the dress code and choose to dine in the Buffet. All this is entirely your own choice. If you are comfortable with that then its not a problem and I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise.

I have been cruising for 12 years various lines P&O, RCCL, Princess, Celebrity,

always taken my dark suit which I keep for weddings and funerals as I do not need

a suit at work. This has always been suitable. Have a great cruise its your holiday.

So we disagree but I for one don't care what other people think about what I wear. You obviously do but would you go up to someone on a formal night and say something to them. I think not .

My hubby does exactly that and has worn a jacket and trousers as well. He also would not go out and buy a suit/dj just for a couple of nights on a cruise because he would never wear it again.

It is supposed to be a holiday and so enjoy and relax.

Wow this is an emotional subject.

As the thread starter a quick report back on our 2 week Med cruise on the Britannia. I would say the majority of men were wearing DJ's and we loved the whole experience over the four formal nights. There were a few more suits on the last night but no one batted an eyelid, everyone had made the effort and it added to the whole experience, far more so than on our last cruise on the Celebrity Equinox.

To put things into context I spent £89 on an M&S DJ/ trousers and got two white shirts with bow ties in the Matalan sale for £10. So for the princely sum of £100 I was suited and booted on a cruise that cost all in (drinks and the odd tour) nearly £3500. I fully appreciate that would pay for a half day tour to Pisa but hey ho, It was money well spent in my opinion.

I think someone mentioned Austerity and I'm not sure how that fits in with cruises especially if you add children to the mix, I really wish we could have afforded to take our children on a cruise but that's another subject.

That aside thanks for the advice, the DJ will be worn again. This P&0 cruise blew the others out of the water in so many respects so it will be the same ship for the Caribbean early next year with a bit of luck.

The only thing these endless dress code arguments achieve is to put some people off cruising with P&O. As a Carnival shareholder I don't like that.
And the most vocal on the P&O thread have succeeded in putting us off ever sailing with P&O ever again, cancelling 2 booked cruises and losing the deposits because the thought of sailing with people like that fills us with dread. Don't worry though as you're are a Carnival share holder as we're sailing Princess in 2019 (as well as more tolerant lines Celebrity, RCI and NCL).

Most people do buy new clothes for a holiday, but going to the expense of a dinner suit they are unlikely to wear again unless on a cruise is totally unnecessary, when any suit is perfectly acceptable, and when people on here state that is the dress code and that's what most people wear is untrue!

This forum puts the fear of God into new cruisers, including myself, before I went on one and saw the reality. If all you're trying to do is put people off cruising you're doing a good job. As for my comment about keeping it in the 1900s...a dress code is fine, if kept modern. P&o are trying to do that by saying a suit is fine. A dj is NOT compulsory! In this day and age we holiday to relax and enjoy our hard earned money not to be scared off by old style cruisers. Plus a cruise is not as expensive as you like to think. Rather much the same cost as a decent package holiday. I work for local government and have only had two 1% pay rises in over ten years. So austerity has hit us hard. Being frightened and bullied by the high brow brigade into buying unnecessary clothing is ridiculous. I do not "say absolutely anything to get my point across" I'm telling the truth! New cruisers take no notice of those saying you have to have a dj, you don't! Go on your holiday and enjoy and pray you don't have the misfortune of bumping into one of these old fashioned liars! I spent a fortune on clothing for my family for a cruise that was simply not needed because of stupid comments on here!

Well said.

Wow this is an emotional subject.

As the thread starter a quick report back on our 2 week Med cruise on the Britannia. I would say the majority of men were wearing DJ's and we loved the whole experience over the four formal nights. There were a few more suits on the last night but no one batted an eyelid, everyone had made the effort and it added to the whole experience, far more so than on our last cruise on the Celebrity Equinox.

To put things into context I spent £89 on an M&S DJ/ trousers and got two white shirts with bow ties in the Matalan sale for £10. So for the princely sum of £100 I was suited and booted on a cruise that cost all in (drinks and the odd tour) nearly £3500. I fully appreciate that would pay for a half day tour to Pisa but hey ho, It was money well spent in my opinion.

I think someone mentioned Austerity and I'm not sure how that fits in with cruises especially if you add children to the mix, I really wish we could have afforded to take our children on a cruise but that's another subject.

That aside thanks for the advice, the DJ will be worn again. This P&0 cruise blew the others out of the water in so many respects so it will be the same ship for the Caribbean early next year with a bit of luck.

Excellent post.