Britannia -Black tie

doog442

Don't forget that a small minority of people on board will even know about this forum. It surprises me that someone would consider cancelling a cruise because of what they have read on here. People tend to be more vociferous on the internet where they are unknown than they are in reality. As far as I can see the dress code for a formal evening for men is that they either wear a DJ or a suit. If, however, they don't wish to do that then they can dine in the buffet or in one of the select dining venues. What is the problem? No one is decrying people who wear suits, that's their prerogative. As the OP has said after returning from his Britannia cruise, in his opinion the majority of the men were wearing dinner jackets. In my opinion, in all the P&O cruises we've been on - over 20 - I would say at least 90% of men were wearing dinner jackets. That's not to say anyone wearing a suit will find anyone commenting on the fact that they are not wearing a dinner jacket. Some people are getting much too agitated. On all the formal evenings we've been to everyone is more intent on enjoying themselves not pointing out how people are dressed.

Don't forget that a small minority of people on board will even know about this forum. It surprises me that someone would consider cancelling a cruise because of what they have read on here. People tend to be more vociferous on the internet where they are unknown than they are in reality. As far as I can see the dress code for a formal evening for men is that they either wear a DJ or a suit. If, however, they don't wish to do that then they can dine in the buffet or in one of the select dining venues. What is the problem? No one is decrying people who wear suits, that's their prerogative. As the OP has said after returning from his Britannia cruise, in his opinion the majority of the men were wearing dinner jackets. In my opinion, in all the P&O cruises we've been on - over 20 - I would say at least 90% of men were wearing dinner jackets. That's not to say anyone wearing a suit will find anyone commenting on the fact that they are not wearing a dinner jacket. Some people are getting much too agitated. On all the formal evenings we've been to everyone is more intent on enjoying themselves not pointing out how people are dressed.

Another excellent post in all respects.

Well said annie. I have reported this thread to admin because I think it has become far too personal and over-heated.

I will comment before it is pulled!

How about having a black tie code that ceases to apply outside the dining room once second sitting dinner starts. So you have your pre dinner drinkies but after 9.30 you can take your dinner jacket off without penalty.

How about having a black tie code that ceases to apply outside the dining room once second sitting dinner starts. So you have your pre dinner drinkies but after 9.30 you can take your dinner jacket off without penalty.

Or not have it on in the first place :D:D:D

That sounds an interesting idea, dave

Or why not leave it the way it is and people can choose what they wear ie Black tie, suit or casual. Nobody is actually against that.

Could I point out that it is not just "your "holiday. It is everyone who has paid to come aboard holiday as well. Presumably some people who like formal nights have booked P&O because they have them. Why spoil their holiday when you can book other cruises that don't do it.

Could I point out that it is not just "your "holiday. It is everyone who has paid to come aboard holiday as well. Presumably some people who like formal nights have booked P&O because they have them. Why spoil their holiday when you can book other cruises that don't do it.

P&O seems to have neutral stance, they do formal nights but most ships it only applies in MDR plus 1 or two other venues. The vast majority of the ship is casual dress code, all of the time. Notably, theatre.

I don't think P&O are "serious" about formal.

I think its also slowly on the decline. Especially on shorter cruises, though longer cruises 7 day+ it is holding its ground. Not that I cruise very much, so this is only my observation.

"Black Tie nights foster a rather special atmosphere on-board and we know that our guests adore dressing up and it has long been a part of the P&O Cruises experience, adding a touch of glamour and a real sense of occasion to evenings at sea. Seeing an entire ship full of people transformed into their finery is quite something to behold. Ladies wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ball gowns or even smart trouser suits. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress and military uniform."

In the end of all the discussion on here is just so much hot air. P&O make the rules and the above is an extract from their current FAQs.

Now the pressure of customer opinion over time may change these rules but as it stands this is what applies. As a courtacy to fellow pax I follow the rules that P&O have set. (I also follow the rules re the dreadfully slow embarkation times and as I don't like them and want them to improve I can understand why others perhaps don't like the current dress codes).

Personally I think if people make a bit of an effort then no one will even look twice. If they don't want to make any effort and wear jeans, ski pants and a T etc then the buffet is there.

Now what I am really waiting to see is a gentleman from Bavaria in his national dress. 😀

"Black Tie nights foster a rather special atmosphere on-board and we know that our guests adore dressing up and it has long been a part of the P&O Cruises experience, adding a touch of glamour and a real sense of occasion to evenings at sea. Seeing an entire ship full of people transformed into their finery is quite something to behold. Ladies wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ball gowns or even smart trouser suits. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress and military uniform."

In the end of all the discussion on here is just so much hot air. P&O make the rules and the above is an extract from their current FAQs.

Now the pressure of customer opinion over time may change these rules but as it stands this is what applies. As a courtacy to fellow pax I follow the rules that P&O have set. (I also follow the rules re the dreadfully slow embarkation times and as I don't like them and want them to improve I can understand why others perhaps don't like the current dress codes).

Personally I think if people make a bit of an effort then no one will even look twice. If they don't want to make any effort and wear jeans, ski pants and a T etc then the buffet is there.

Now what I am really waiting to see is a gentleman from Bavaria in his national dress.

Not sure if P&O would consider lederhosen as shorts so not allow after 6:00 pm ? :'):')

However I agree. P&O publishes the dress code and whilst it is very different to how I dress at home - and thankfully there's no video-posting so you can't see what I'm wearing now :evilsmile: - I'll continue to respect the code and interpret it without taking away from it. For example the dress code says ladies trouser suits are fine on formal nights but I sometimes wear evening trousers and a blingy top and don't worry that it's not a suit as such. I have many friends who interpret the code in this way, with a bit of common sense as I'm sure many people on this board do. If you want to do your own thing, that's fine and P&O provides a buffet etc but it's not fair to have a go at people who like to follow the rules because it adds to their enjoyment of the cruise. From what I've seen onboard all the P&O ships young and old like this. Anybody who objects to the dress code needs to take it up with P&O who makes the rules - the organ grinder not the monkeys.

I have felt recently between here and face ache that I'm doing something wrong by doing what P&O asks me to do Even though I may not dress like that at home and I may have outfits I only wear on a cruise, it somehow makes the whole experience extra special for me and adds to why I LOVE cruising. if I can afford to cruise I can afford to buy a couple of nice outfits. Once you've been on a cruise you'll almost certainly go on another - as I found out to my great cost. Happy cruising everybody