Norway - excursions, restaurants?

Hello again. I have been saving up for a Norwegian fjords cruise that will take place in the summer of 2018. In fact, I've been studying the language itself for some time.

The ports of call are Bergen, Geiranger, Ålesund, Skjolden and Stavanger.

Let's start off with Bergen, 'cause there's a multitude of things there. First off, the activity that I've eyed the most is the Fløibanen Funicular. An excursion offered by the cruise line that goes there begins with a walking tour along the cobblestone streets, followed by Bryggen, and finally the funicular. Of course, Bryggen is definitely an important sight to see there.

I'm also really curious about exploring Edvard Grieg's home. An excursion that goes there also tours a stave church - vocabulary that pops up a lot when I'm learning the language - and Bryggen. In fact, I think when I wake up that morning or once the ship gets into Bergen, I'm instantly gonna be hearing "Morning Mood."

The Fish Market is also said to be a highlight. I'm a young guy, and I'm no fan of seafood, but I am starting to get a little curious about this section of town. It seems to me that seafood is very prominent in these areas of Norway. What do you think is a typical, really good seafood dish in Norway, even for those who aren't fans of it?

It's worth noting that this port of call is only from noon to 7pm that day. Do you recommend going to restaurants in Bergen?

I will soon continue this thread discussing Geiranger. Stay tuned!

Can be a very interesting thread for Norwegian Fjords cruisers.

Salmon is a staple food at the Norwegian coast. Smoked salmon,( Røkt Laks) or buried salmon (gravlaks) is traditional for lunch. Do not visit Bergen without having salmon for lunch. Another traditional fish dish is stockfish (Tørrfisk) however might be further north.

Some restaurants are Don Pippo, Christies gate 11 or Fjellskål Fisketorget, Strandkaien 3.

Also visit the funicular Fløibanen, one of the most iconic attractions of Norway.

Here is a short Bergen video with some of the highlights for inspiration:

46SSNZHdRTg

Having just visited Bergen this past June, I would suggest the excursion, with your small window of time, to Edvard Grieg;s home and the Fantoft Stave Church. The reason being that Bergen is noted for unfortunately poor weather at times and Floyen can be "in the clouds." Look for the webcams of the area available online to see what I mean. We were lucky as we spent three days there and were able to arrange our schedule based on weather.The rain cleared later the day we arrived and so rode the Fløibanen Funicular after the cruise rush.

Have a great cruise! You will enjoy it.

Having just visited Bergen this past June, I would suggest the excursion, with your small window of time, to Edvard Grieg;s home and the Fantoft Stave Church. The reason being that Bergen is noted for unfortunately poor weather at times and Floyen can be "in the clouds." Look for the webcams of the area available online to see what I mean. We were lucky as we spent three days there and were able to arrange our schedule based on weather.The rain cleared later the day we arrived and so rode the Fløibanen Funicular after the cruise rush.

Have a great cruise! You will enjoy it.

Well, they say there's no such thing as bad weather there - just inappropriate clothing.

Next is Geiranger. This port of call is from 11am to 8pm that day.

Some might recommend going on the RIB boat along the fjord, but the ride seems like it would be a little rocky.

If anything, Dalsnibba is one of my ideas. One excursion that goes along there visits the Geirangerfjord Centre. Of course, there's the ideal excursion that goes up to the summit. Some might say to keep the weather in mind, where instead the excursion would go to Eagle Bend because of snow, but given the time of year this will be, I'm not concerned about that.

Another thing to do I found goes on a bus tour up Eagle Bend, giving views of the fjord and Seven Sisters Waterfall, followed by a visit to Herdalsetra Farm.

Given this port's location, I can't imagine a ton of restaurants or shops being there.

The easiest way to see two of Geiranger's famous viewpoints (Flydalsjuvet and Ørnesvingen - *Eagle bend*) is on a short round trip by bus. Many departures from the town center to Flydalsjuvet and Ørnesvingen. Tickets at the Tourist information office on the pier or online at the web.

You will see the Seven Sisters from the cruise ship - and the fjords as well - IMO no need for additional boat trips

In my video you will see the Seven Sister both when we arrived and when departed, I also did the bus tour as you also can see in the video:

JII3U8eJbCQ

Ålesund - 7am to 4pm - will be the furthest north I have ever been in my life.

I'm a bit interested in the Art Nouveau architecture there and its history following the 1904 fire. For some reason, an on-foot excursion through the town is categorized as strenuous. Another excursion through town also takes you to the Sunnmore Open Air Museum, and the Aksla viewpoint. The latter is another sight I'm interested in.

Most of all, Trollstigen definitely sounds like something I wouldn't want to miss. Well, the excursion that goes here pretty much lasts the entire time in port. Other stops on this excursion are Stordal church, Gudbrandsjuvet, and lunch is also included. Of course, there may be less expensive alternatives. But not the rental car - I'm only gonna be 20 years old.

Out of everything, what do you find would be most worth it?

As for Skjolden, no excursions so far are being offered by the cruise line here, but there definitely should be something to do there. In the meantime, I will soon continue this thread with Stavanger.

Trollstigen is interesting - it's a two hours drive from Ålesund - The road is narrow with many sharp bends.

I have not been in Skjolden, but sailing sognefjord is impressive - don't miss the fjords. You might need to be up early in order to experience the cruising the fjord.

W4ADnHAWzYM

Stavanger - my general idea is an excursion along Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock. as well as some exploration around the Old Town.

Keep in mind that I'm only at the saving stage of the cruise so far, so I wasn't sure about jumping to this topic yet. While it's not for another 12 months, I think of booking a lot further in advance than we do with our Caribbean cruises, well, because it's Europe, but maybe that's just my impression. Some say that booking as early as possible gets the best deals, others might say that may be a little too early.

My concerns are single supplement crap, when to book excursions, etc., and most importantly in my book, airlines (aside from Norwegian - they don't fly direct to my destination from our usual airport, which they're new to).

If probably 9 to 11 months is too early, what's just right to get better deals around these factors, including (direct) flights? Like I said, I'm a young guy, and don't entirely have knowledge of this stuff.

This definitely isn't the end of this thread - it's only the beginning. Whether anyone recommends excursions, restaurants, things to do in these ports, I'd love to keep this thread going. I'll be back here for more!

Be aware that each cruise line only has few Norwegian Fjord Cruises so the might very well sell out early. For the same reason the cruises are higher priced. Prices might drop a month before, but then it might be difficult to find reasonable priced flights. But very well depend on you flexibility on itinerary and cruise line.

Cannot comment on flight since I do not know your origin or where you cruise will start. If flying Norwegian be aware of luggage weight restrictions as well as possible delays. Plan to fly at least two to three days prior to cruise start.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Be aware that each cruise line only has few Norwegian Fjord Cruises so the might very well sell out early. For the same reason the cruises are higher priced. Prices might drop a month before, but then it might be difficult to find reasonable priced flights. But very well depend on you flexibility on itinerary and cruise line.

Cannot comment on flight since I do not know your origin or where you cruise will start. If flying Norwegian be aware of luggage weight restrictions as well as possible delays. Plan to fly at least two to three days prior to cruise start.

And by two to three days you mean fly out or arrive where the cruise will start?

Yes - you should at least be at departure port of you cruise one day before the start of cruise. I'll recommend at least two days in case of any delays of flight or luggage. I have seen examples of Norwegian air being three days delayed and no re-routing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes - you should at least be at departure port of you cruise one day before the start of cruise. I'll recommend at least two days in case of any delays of flight or luggage. I have seen examples of Norwegian air being three days delayed and no re-routing.

I thought for some reason that they were trying to fix things like that, but I'm well aware of the be-there-the-day-before thing.

Alright, so here's how I can sum this up from what everyone has said so far:

It's obvious that I must arrive to the departure port a day before the start of the cruise, and two sounds better than one.

Bergen - I should do the Edvard Grieg excursion if I'm curious about that, or go on the Fløibanen funicular, as well as have salmon at a restaurant in port

Geiranger - maybe that bus tour you recommended is the way to go.

Ålesund - basically Trollstigen must be worth it.

Skjolden - be up to experience cruising Sognefjorden

Stavanger - I pretty much know what I want to do there.

• 1 month later...