MSC dress code vs NCL

sharonax3

The following link shows the suggested dress code:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53212942&postcount=8

I've always found that it depends on both the demographic onboard and the region you're sailing in, how dressy, or not, people will be. We were onboard the new ship, Meraviglia, a couple of weeks ago. The first 'Elegance' night (formerly known as 'Gala') there were so few dressed up, it didn't feel like a special night at all. Certainly, the trend is that more and more are opting for casual regardless of the 'theme' night.

I was on the Meravigilia a couple weeks after Beamafar. Her assessment is what we experienced on our sailing as well. The first formal night, we did not realize it was formal night. DH showed up in shorts and was turned away. For the week we thought the MDR was more casual dress.

Have only been on Ncl, Carnival etc. Can someone please advise on dress code for MSC. Going on Seaside in February and wondering how "dressy" it will be.

All comments appreciated

thank you

People dress much more on msc.

I assumed it would be more formal than what I am used to. I prefer casual, casual meaning sundress, nice capris and top. Is that acceptable, and do men need suits/and or ties? Are nice shorts and polos acceptable for men on nights that are not "formal"

thanks so much for your suggestions, just trying to fit it. oh, forgot to mention this will be a carribbean cruise.

I was on the Meravigilia a couple weeks after Beamafar. Her assessment is what we experienced on our sailing as well. The first formal night, we did not realize it was formal night. DH showed up in shorts and was turned away. For the week we thought the MDR was more casual dress.

We noted all sorts of dress for even the gala night! Casual to super dressed up & everything in between!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I assumed it would be more formal than what I am used to. I prefer casual, casual meaning sundress, nice capris and top. Is that acceptable, and do men need suits/and or ties? Are nice shorts and polos acceptable for men on nights that are not "formal"

thanks so much for your suggestions, just trying to fit it. oh, forgot to mention this will be a carribbean cruise.

You'll be fine. Men do not need suits or ties - even on Elegance (Gala) nights, though shorts are (generally) banned from the MDRs for dinner. Though I think a few do sometimes get past the notice of the m'D. However, you do run the risk of being turned away.

You will be just fine. Polos, Jeans, Khakis for men are acceptable. Basically anything but swimming attire and shorts.

As for me no shorts for men acceptable in DR on any night.

Interesting. DH wore nice shorts every night but the formal ones. This was on Meravigilia 2 weeks ago.

Glad to know that policy is consistent. :-)

I am very old fashion, and for me white table cloth and shorts with flip plops can not be together in one sentence. Every time I see a post with question " do my son needs pants to DR? he dose not have any or he dose not want to wear any " it makes me wonder .

I am very old fashion, and for me white table cloth and shorts with flip plops can not be together in one sentence. Every time I see a post with question " do my son needs pants to DR? he dose not have any or he dose not want to wear any " it makes me wonder .

Could be both.

Personally, I don't wear long pants often living here in FL. It's hot. I don't care to get dressed up for dinner. It's vacation. It's supposed to be relaxed.

There's a difference between coming in wearing cutoff jean shorts and a wifebeater and wearing a nice pair of shorts and decent shirt.

I'm sure my wife will make me go to the DR for a few nights but, otherwise, I guess I'll be at the buffet...

Could be both.

There's a difference between coming in wearing cutoff jean shorts and a wifebeater and wearing a nice pair of shorts and decent shirt.

Totally agree!

On our MSC cruise about 2 weeks ago (Mediterrean), my husband wore nice linen or rayon shorts with loafers along with polo style shirts in the MDR. The only days he couldn't wear shorts were the formal nights. On those nights, he puts on slacks.

Edited by lifeasme123

Totally agree!

On our MSC cruise about 2 weeks ago (Mediterrean), my husband wore nice linen or rayon shorts with loafers along with polo style shirts in the MDR. The only days he couldn't wear shorts were the formal nights. On those nights, we put on slacks.

I guess I'll just ask when I get to the ship. But, yes, this is what I'm talking about. This is perfectly-normal here in FL. I go to very nice restaurants all of the time here and dress similarly to what you're describing. Nobody bats an eye.

I guess I'll just ask when I get to the ship. But, yes, this is what I'm talking about. This is perfectly-normal here in FL. I go to very nice restaurants all of the time here and dress similarly to what you're describing. Nobody bats an eye.

That is norm here in TX as well. Like you, when we go on vacation, especially somewhere tropical, we want to relax and not get too dressed up.

On our cruise he wore shorts in the specialty restaurants as well. They did stop him in the MDR on the first formal night and asked him to change into pants. It was our mistake as we did not notice the formal night in the daily schedule. Other than the formal nights, no one cared.

That is norm here in TX as well. Like you, when we go on vacation, especially somewhere tropical, we want to relax and not get too dressed up.

On our cruise he wore shorts in the specialty restaurants as well. They did stop him in the MDR on the first formal night and asked him to change into pants. It was our mistake as we did not notice the formal night in the daily schedule. Other than the formal nights, no one cared.

Thanks. Great info for sure.

Could be both.

Personally, I don't wear long pants often living here in FL. It's hot. I don't care to get dressed up for dinner. It's vacation. It's supposed to be relaxed.

I'm sure my wife will make me go to the DR for a few nights but, otherwise, I guess I'll be at the buffet...

I agree with you and feel the same way living in Miami. My girlfriend loves dressing up so she didn't mind. As for me, I don't dress up much so I made the effort of wearing pants and collard shirts/button downs. The dress was pretty lax in the MDR. If you consider it just don't wear shorts an you'll be good. I would suggest in 100% over the buffet any day. The food and service is worth the effort for me.

I agree with you and feel the same way living in Miami. My girlfriend loves dressing up so she didn't mind. As for me, I don't dress up much so I made the effort of wearing pants and collard shirts/button downs. The dress was pretty lax in the MDR. If you consider it just don't wear shorts an you'll be good. I would suggest in 100% over the buffet any day. The food and service is worth the effort for me.

Thanks. Honestly, I'm looking at the menu and, well, I'm a bit of a picky eater so it won't kill me not to eat there every night. Plus, it's a long dinner. :)

The cruise lines are all pretty similar. You'll be fine with pants and polo shirts, regardless of what they call any particular evening. I understand those who live in hot climates like TX (where it's been over 100º) and FL why people don't want to wear long pants.

Matter of fact, in Bermuda it's considered totally fine to wear shorts as business garb.

Bottom line, dress how you feel comfortable. If you want to do the jacket and tie thing, have at it. If you want to go more casual, no problem there, either.

Not sure why anyone else would be concerned with how you or they dress.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it is impractical, but it would be nice if they had a way of having people select if they want dressy dining or casual dining upon booking. They could have the MDR separated into different partitions so the dressy people can enjoy the sense of gracious living created by people of like mind in wanting to dress up. And those looking for a more casual experience can enjoy not dressing up without having to worry about getting turned away or being given the evil eye for the way they dress. Everybody gets the kind of experience they are looking for.

I've cruised both MSC and NCL and for evening activities I saw plenty of shorts combined with flip flops on NCL, and none never on MSC.

Its not that people overdress on MSC, but people do dress for an night out.

To each their own!