OMG<Just saw this trending on facebook!

ILoveStThomas

I wouldn't recommend going there at all. Our friends wanted to so we took the cab transfer there. I found out the hard way why no one was sitting in a certain area of the beach first thing. Then I tried to swim (good swimmer) but the way the beach has been banked so water does not go over the road caused me to get wiped out before I could get past the breaking wavess. I finally was able to crawl out, but our friend took two people to drag him out.

We've been, and it's cool seeing the planes come in. BUT....we don't stand on the beach. Never would do that. We don't even go ON the beach. We're close, but safely at the big bar that people go to. The beach is rather small and you do see people in the water and on the sand, and yes, even right at the fence. I agree with that sign. What a real tragedy. I imagine they'll fence the whole thing off now, just let you watch from the bar or the other side of the landing area. It's a crazy situation with the planes having to land so close to the water.

The ship has the excursion there because you can experience it without standing right UNDER it. The bar has good drinks and pizza, etc., and is a great place to watch the planes. They have the airline schedule on screens so you can see when the big Air France, etc. planes come in, as well as the small ones. It's the KLM and Air France and other huge planes that are the most "exciting" to watch. I know, it sounds strange and I was skeptical at first. For me it's a one and done.

I always wonder if it's not also a great place to get your pocket picked. While people are glued to the sky for the planes, there is opportunity.....

We love Maho Beach.

They have revamped the restaurant area and put in some wonderful shops. Great place to watch the planes come and go.

There are many signs clearly posted that warn you not to hang onto the fence. You can actually be fined if caught by the police.

If people chose to ignore these warnings then they are just asking for a tragedy.

The beach part is a novelty and not a place I would call swimmable. Fun to walk across and dip your toes in the water. Eating sand from the jet engines every 3-5 minutes is not what I call enjoyable.

Edited by pixiedust777
spelling

A comment on Twitter on the link is

Nobody cared about the signs and warnings lol

Can anyone tell me what LOL means in this context? Why doesn't this term just go away?

This link should be on the Ports, St. Maarten section.

We've been, and it's cool seeing the planes come in. BUT....we don't stand on the beach. Never would do that. We don't even go ON the beach. We're close, but safely at the big bar that people go to. The beach is rather small and you do see people in the water and on the sand, and yes, even right at the fence. I agree with that sign. What a real tragedy. I imagine they'll fence the whole thing off now, just let you watch from the bar or the other side of the landing area. It's a crazy situation with the planes having to land so close to the water.

The ship has the excursion there because you can experience it without standing right UNDER it. The bar has good drinks and pizza, etc., and is a great place to watch the planes. They have the airline schedule on screens so you can see when the big Air France, etc. planes come in, as well as the small ones. It's the KLM and Air France and other huge planes that are the most "exciting" to watch. I know, it sounds strange and I was skeptical at first. For me it's a one and done.

I always wonder if it's not also a great place to get your pocket picked. While people are glued to the sky for the planes, there is opportunity.....

I was going to post this myself, but you beat me to it. Once was enough for me too and we didn't go on the beach either! But I have to say that even though they post signs warning people not to hang on the fence, it seems to me the locals encourage this with the signs on the bar listing the arrivals and departures of the "big birds" every day. It's always tragic when someone is seriously injured or killed because of their own behavior. This woman was not a fearless/brainless teen....she was old enough to know better and I would bet the rent that if she were home she would never attempt something as dangerous as holding onto a chain link fence while a 737 took off 100 feet away!!

Celebrity still offering the 'tour' to Maho on their website. Surprised.

Because there is nothing wrong with this beach.

Fence is not on the beach and there are clear signs not to use it.

However it is not the best beach out there. We usually go to Mullet or Orient, and make a short stop on the way back to take photos sometimes.