Pride of America, Maui Rental Cars

Yehootu

My daughter is going on her honeymoon cruise and wants to rent a car in Kahului. I understand there are shuttles to the airport rental car area. Are these shuttles company specific ? Any reccomendations on car companies and ease of rental. How crowded are the shuttles and how often do they run.

Mahalo, one week and it's over.

My daughter is going on her honeymoon cruise and wants to rent a car in Kahului. I understand there are shuttles to the airport rental car area. Are these shuttles company specific ? Any reccomendations on car companies and ease of rental. How crowded are the shuttles and how often do they run.

The shuttles are mini buses and run back and forth from ship to rental agencies which are all located in the same compound which is 5 to 10 min away. When ship arrives the shuttles is non stop back and forth.

There is no need to rush off ship.

We use Thrifty's because if you have Blue Chip membership (free) it will give you and express counter to go to.Make sure that correct shuttle is used as while they are located in the same compound I don't remember how close they are.

Here is a link to discount rental online.

https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ They are very reputable and you can pick the company car etc. but there rates are very good.

Book early as cars are limited to island and cars are often transported between islands.

We've been to Hawaii half dozen times and always use this rental company.

This is a great cruise and a great bang for the buck, make sure they do all the islands.

Here's a link to my summary of using rental cars on all the islands on the cruise. This is from 2014, but I doubt much has changed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014838

Also, the previous advice to reserve early is correct. Rental cars are in high demand.

We are also renting a car in Kahului this October. I was told by the representative from Discount Hawaii Car Rental that the car rental shuttles are already scheduled and will be running from 8 am - 12 pm on the first day, but you must call for pick-up if you are renting the car the second day in port. We are renting from Dollar, picking up at the airport location.

need2cruisesoon: If I'm renting a car in Maui for 2 days, and have to park overnight at the airport, do you know if I can get transportation from the ship to the airport at 2:00am so I can be at Haleakala for sunrise? mahalo

need2cruisesoon: If I'm renting a car in Maui for 2 days, and have to park overnight at the airport, do you know if I can get transportation from the ship to the airport at 2:00am so I can be at Haleakala for sunrise? mahalo

We rented from the Hertz at Maui Beach Hotel.

Parked the car at their parking lot overnight, took Hertz shuttle one day and the Maui Beach shuttle the other day.

At 2:00 am you can opt for Lyft or Uber as well.

I believe the one thing that has changed is overnight parking in Maui. From what I've read in the Hawaii forum, there is no longer any parking at the pier.

Definitely no parking on Maui near ship. The rental company tells you right out to park at the airport.

I have a reservation with Alamo in Maui. When I made the reservation they had port pickup, I was just rechecking my reservation and they have since done away with it. Not sure if all companies are doing this or just Alamo.

I have a reservation with Alamo in Maui. When I made the reservation they had port pickup, I was just rechecking my reservation and they have since done away with it. Not sure if all companies are doing this or just Alamo.

We saw plenty of rental car shuttles at the port, but not Alamo.

We rented from the Hertz at Maui Beach Hotel.

Parked the car at their parking lot overnight, took Hertz shuttle one day and the Maui Beach shuttle the other day.

At 2:00 am you can opt for Lyft or Uber as well.

Are you saying that if you rent a car from Hertz at the Maui Beach Hotel they will provide a shuttle at that hour?

We are also renting a car in Kahului this October. I was told by the representative from Discount Hawaii Car Rental that the car rental shuttles are already scheduled and will be running from 8 am - 12 pm on the first day, but you must call for pick-up if you are renting the car the second day in port. We are renting from Dollar, picking up at the airport location.

I rented from dollar at every port through Discount Hawaii car rental. I used my Express card to bypass the regular line. They pick up and dropped off at the terminal at every port.

Thanks everyone for their input. I feel relieved that I'll be able to get to my rental car at that hour of the morning

Perhaps we missed something, but where did anyone say that? If you are thinking on taking a shuttle then, do know they do not run all night.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

Thanks everyone for their input. I feel relieved that I'll be able to get to my rental car at that hour of the morning

Perhaps we missed something, but where did anyone say that? If you are thinking on taking a shuttle then, do know they do not run all night.

In checking, shuttle service only runs from one hour after the rental office opens to one hour prior to its closing, which confirms that you will not be able to get a shuttle to your car at 2 a.m. No matter what you arrange, do remember to get your reservation ahead of time for sunrise at Haleakala.

• 1 year later...

Is this within walking distance of the pier?

In Maui you can pick up Hertz @ the Maui Beach Hotel just a quarter mile down from the pier.

No need to travel to the airport, no long lines and quick to get the car.