Which should I choose???

Sarpy1

I am planning our 40th wedding anniversary and I have decided to celebrate it with my family and grandkids on a cruise. So I need some advice on which one to pick! I have it narrowed down between Carnival Sunshine and also Norwegian Epic.

I have to plan this of course over spring break because of my grandchildren in school. The Sunshine would depart the week before spring break and the Epic departs the week of spring break. Any feed back you can give me would be deeply appreciated. We normally travel on Carnival but because of the dates that are involved, I am trying to decide which one to pick from. I know that both have some kind of promotions going on now.:)

When will the children be available?

Do you need to pull them from school to go?

That could be a factor in the plans

Pick the one that works best for your time frame

Work with a TA or the Group sales dept if you are booking several cabins 10+ .....you do not mention the size of your family group

You did not divulge the itinerary (which perhaps would change my mind) .....but the Sunshine (although renovated) is such an old ship. You may recall way back when, it was the Destiny.

NCL'S Epic is a much newer ship with tons of stuff for the kids to do. JMO.

Oh, and you did not mention "air fare" which would be a very costly addition, if required.

Edited by champagne123
xxxx

Have not been on Epic, but have sailed twice on Sunshine which we enjoyed very much, and we are not particularly big Carnival fans. Plenty for the kids : water park, mini golf, ropes course, pool, basketball court, family-friendly shows in the comedy club etc. Serenity on Sunshine is amazing! Adult only and is three decks high (other Carnival ships it is a single deck). Has its own pool with waterfall. Sunshine also has tons of food options that are included with your fare.

I am planning our 40th wedding anniversary and I have decided to celebrate it with my family and grandkids on a cruise. So I need some advice on which one to pick! I have it narrowed down between Carnival Sunshine and also Norwegian Epic.

I have to plan this of course over spring break because of my grandchildren in school. The Sunshine would depart the week before spring break and the Epic departs the week of spring break. Any feed back you can give me would be deeply appreciated. We normally travel on Carnival but because of the dates that are involved, I am trying to decide which one to pick from. I know that both have some kind of promotions going on now.:)

It does not so much matter when either ship DEPARTS. - what should count is how many actual school days would be missed. Also, if there are children of different ages involved, it might be that it is better for a younger, than an older, child to miss a day or two of school. Finally, what do the grandchildrens' parents feel about pulling children out of school.

You have a lot of variables to consider - not just fares or on board activities.

there are 8 adults going and 4 kids. 3 of them are in school. one is 4th grade, 3rd grade and kindergarten and a 4 year old. the itinerary is Epic- Great Stirrup Cay and Sunshine-Amber Cove and Grand Cayman. We are flying from Omaha to Port Canaveral (Alegiant Air). We would be getting 5 rooms.

Keep one thing in mind about Epic. They have an odd cabin design. The cabin showers are not in the bathrooms. They are in the cabin itself. So with kids in the room, this could be an awkward experience for y'all.

there are 8 adults going and 4 kids. 3 of them are in school. one is 4th grade, 3rd grade and kindergarten and a 4 year old. the itinerary is Epic- Great Stirrup Cay and Sunshine-Amber Cove and Grand Cayman. We are flying from Omaha to Port Canaveral (Alegiant Air). We would be getting 5 rooms.

As a mom of 4 ages 16 to 27 and all incredible students who I NEVER took out of school for more than 1 day on rare occasions...trust me on this....

Absolutely DO NOT worry about your grands missing school

No matter what anyone says...they are not old enough for it to matter

Even the 3rd and 4th grader will not be impacted

You just tell the teachers they are out for a week to attend a family function

And honestly those teachers do not have to give them work to do either. It will not matter at this age

And this is coming from a mother of Valedictorians!! ( yes.. I had to throw that in as their speeches have been the best minutes of my life lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It really depends on the school for the kids, some schools purposely will have a major project or important test or something right before spring break to discourage families from taking them out early for spring break.

Now as a parent I rarely had my kids pulled from school for anything. One because my kids really hated to have to do the make up work and two their education is very important. Now my kids didn't love school they just hated the extra work. Sometimes you will get lucky and they will give you the work ahead of time, but some schools made you wait til you get back, so you would have extra homework. I had one graduate high school this year and the other is going to be a junior. I say depends on the school as due to my hubby being in the military they went to school in 4 states but one state the oldest was in K and 1st in one part of the state, then the youngest was in 8th and the oldest was in 10th through 12th in the same state he went to K and 1st in.

Unless you know both parents are okay with the missed school I would talk to them about it. Personally I would wait and take the kids during their actual spring break.