Ischia for the day

cruisinrg

Has anyone been to Ischia? I'm thinking that when our ship (Symphony of the Seas) docks in Naples, that we would go to the hot springs in Ischia for the day. We were in Italy last summer and went to Pompei then, and don't want to do it again, so we thought we would try something different.

We have gone over to Ischia for the day. Another option is the even smaller island of Procida. Getting to these places is similar to going to Capri...in that you simply walk over to the nearby Molo Beverello Ferry port, buy your ticket,...and take the fast boats. Keep in mind that there are fewer boats to Ischia then Capri...so you might want to find an online schedule. Our own norm would be to simply get off the ship ASAP, quickly walk over to the ferry terminal and check the schedule for the next boat. Personally, we do not overplan...as we might change our mind at the last minute....or the weather might dictate our choice of what we do for the day. You do not want to go out to Ischia on a day when the seas are a bit rough.

Hank

Spent a day there and enjoyed it immensely. When we got off the ferry to took a local bus around the island. Stopped in a small village for lunch. We were on a land tour so we did not have the either or decision to make.

My wife and I plan to go back to Ishia, and also see Procida.

• 6 months later...
Just to be devil's advocate, I didn't think Ischia was that interesting. But I'm not a laid back island kind of person. There are lots of choices from Naples and Ischia would be low on my list to recommend to others.

@ Cruisemom42 - I love your posts and insights and I am not certain how to contact you, so I hope that you see this post. We are going to be in Naples next summer. We have three kids - 14/14/16 and we have been to Pompeii/Sorrento/Positano. Would you have any recommendations? We have always wanted to go to Capri but we are very worried that it will be a disappointed, crowded mess. Thank you for any advice ... I would love to go to Paestum but I am afraid that my family will be ruin'd out...

@ Cruisemom42 - I love your posts and insights and I am not certain how to contact you, so I hope that you see this post. We are going to be in Naples next summer. We have three kids - 14/14/16 and we have been to Pompeii/Sorrento/Positano. Would you have any recommendations? We have always wanted to go to Capri but we are very worried that it will be a disappointed, crowded mess. Thank you for any advice ... I would love to go to Paestum but I am afraid that my family will be ruin'd out...

What kind of day would you ideally hope for?

I've been to Capri during shoulder season and also early high season (June) and while it was crowded it was not miserable (with the exception of the main piazza in Capri Town through the middle part of the day). There are some nice walks to be had and nice views (for example, from Villa Jovis) not only from the chairlift.

Alternatively, maybe your kids would find it interesting to simply spend the day in Naples. There is a great "Underground Naples" tour, plus one just has to try the real-deal Neapolitan pizza. And if you want to slip in a little culture, going to the Archaeological Museum in Naples is wonderful -- all the best finds from both Pompeii and Herculaneum that really let you envision the "full picture".

Or consider hiking up Vesuvius.

Thank you cruisemom42. Our RomeinLimo driver for our trip to Pompeii and Sorrento warned us off from going into Naples. He said that did not even like to drive in Naples. So, we were shying away from Naples although we would love to try the pizza and go to the museum! I appreciate the comment that Capri is not unbearable. We were in Dubrovnik two summers ago and it was unbearably crowded. It is very wearing especially if it is hot. I think that we are looking for a subdued relaxing day. And we have wanted to go to Capri since seeing Talented Mr. Ripley. Now that I am researching it, it was actually filmed in Ischia and Procida! Thank you again!

Thank you cruisemom42. Our RomeinLimo driver for our trip to Pompeii and Sorrento warned us off from going into Naples. He said that did not even like to drive in Naples. So, we were shying away from Naples although we would love to try the pizza and go to the museum! I appreciate the comment that Capri is not unbearable. We were in Dubrovnik two summers ago and it was unbearably crowded. It is very wearing especially if it is hot. I think that we are looking for a subdued relaxing day. And we have wanted to go to Capri since seeing Talented Mr. Ripley. Now that I am researching it, it was actually filmed in Ischia and Procida! Thank you again!

You're welcome.

My two cents on Naples is that naturally a driver service is going to downplay it as an option because there is no real need for a driver...

Naples can be chaotic and crazy if you're driving, but on foot it is fine. Like any big city you should take normal precautions against pickpockets. I am a bit biased I suppose; I love the energy and all of the history that cities like Naples have to offer -- others cannot see past the sometimes crumbling buildings or graffiti. But it has everything from the sublime (the veiled Christ at Capella San Severo, for example) to the ridiculous (stores on the street of nativity-scene makers selling figurines for your nativity set that include footballers, politicians and pop stars -- because we all know THEY were there!), and everything in between.

If nothing else, do try to find some sfogliatelle (warm if possible) on your way to or from your ship in Naples. And if you like coffee: best.espresso.ever !

Naples as a city is certainly worth a visit - we liked the Archeological museum more than Pompeii itself because you can see all the best pieces.

Don't worry about the traffic - of course I wouldn't recommend driving by yourself - drivers in Naples are notorious for their driving " traffic lights are just a suggestion..." - but there is an excellent HOHo bus you can use which shows quite a lot of the city in a safe way and stops right in front of the Archeological museum, too.

Have to smile about a tour driver not wanting to drive in Naples. I am a simple American who has done a lot of driving throughout Italy and I also hate to drive in Naples. The traffic can be madness and since its such an old city with major hills, the roads are not easy to navigate (although GPS has made this easier). For me, Naples is a city for walking (lots of walking).

Hank