What will get your bags confiscated?

Eli_6

When my husband and I last cruised (NCL), we had our bags confiscated and had to wait in a two hour long line to get them back because I had some mouth wash and diet dr. Pepper (ship didn't sell it) in my bag and they had to open it and determine it was not alcohol. They let me keep my diet dr. Pepper, but the two hour line was annoying.

Is there anything like this (other than obviously alcohol) that will cause you problems on Carnival? I don't want my first day ruined because I brought some shampoo or sunscreen with me.

When my husband and I last cruised (NCL), we had our bags confiscated and had to wait in a two hour long line to get them back because I had some mouth wash and diet dr. Pepper (ship didn't sell it) in my bag and they had to open it and determine it was not alcohol. They let me keep my diet dr. Pepper, but the two hour line was annoying.

Is there anything like this (other than obviously alcohol) that will cause you problems on Carnival? I don't want my first day ruined because I brought some shampoo or sunscreen with me.

Sounds like what got you flagged was the soda. Here is the list of prohibited items:

• Any illegal narcotics/drugs
  • All firearms Including replicas, Imitations and their components
  • Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • Any other projectile-weapon (e.g. paint ball guns)
  • All ammunition
  • All explosives, including imitation explosives and devices
  • Fireworks, flares, pyrotechnics (excluding those which are part of the vessel's lifesaving equipment and which have been properly manifested)
  • Sharp pointed weapons including throwing stars
  • Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • Open razors
  • Skean Dhus or Kirpans
  • Spears or spear guns
  • Crossbows, crossbow bolts and long bow arrows
  • Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, cashes, batons, flails or nunchaku
  • Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable)
  • Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals unless carried in limited quantities and in accordance with company instructions (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, etc.)
  • Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  • Stun devices
  • Large batteries
  • Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating / hot plates, etc.
  • Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segways (except those provided by the Company for shore excursions)
  • Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and aerosol cans
  • Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers

Here is the main part of the liquor and beverage policy:

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

• A $15 USD corkage fee, per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, steakhouse or bar. A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle served that was not bought on the premises.

The mouthwash is what probably got you flagged. I have known people to put alcohol in the mouthwash containers. I have never done this. Some people put it in peroxide containers.

I've gone through with my mouthwash 4 times now and never had a problem. After unpacking this last time it hit me that that should have been a flag since it contains a liquid. Of course it was a sample size bottle so maybe that's why they didn't bother with it.

I would suggest that you put anything that could cause a problem in your carry on. That way they can easily pull you off to the side for a quick peek as you are boarding. All drinks should be in your carry on.

The mouthwash is what probably got you flagged. I have known people to put alcohol in the mouthwash containers. I have never done this. Some people put it in peroxide containers.

So should I carry on any liquid? I.e. Shampoo, conditioner, etc.

there already saw you broke the rules... so while they were there they will check the obvious areas like the mouthwash.

Broke what rules? The was NCL ten years ago. There was not a prohibition against soda or mouthwash.

didnt read that it was 10 years ago. Did you happen to mention that on a post?

I think it was probably the mouthwash that got us flagged like pp above said and not the DDP. They did not seem to care at all about the soda. It was back in the day when Listerine used to make that goldish brown mouthwash that kind of looked like brandy or tequila and that was what it was. At the time, I did not think about people trying to sneak on liquor and it looking like liquor. I just don't want it to happen again with something else I innocently bring on. I am glad I saw that about the steamer/iron because I probably would have run afoul of that.

didnt read that it was 10 years ago. Did you happen to mention that on a post?

Thinking about it now in hindsight, the cruise was out of New Orleans so I imagine they probably DID have a bunch of people trying to sneak on alcohol.

And, yes, I went almost ten years between cruises :loudcry: because my husband got that stomach sickness that goes around cruise ships sometimes and it took me almost a decade to convince him to go on another one.

I think it was probably the mouthwash that got us flagged like pp above said and not the DDP. They did not seem to care at all about the soda. It was back in the day when Listerine used to make that goldish brown mouthwash that kind of looked like brandy or tequila and that was what it was. At the time, I did not think about people trying to sneak on liquor and it looking like liquor. I just don't want it to happen again with something else I innocently bring on. I am glad I saw that about the steamer/iron because I probably would have run afoul of that.

It was the metal pop cans that the xray machines found.

So should I carry on any liquid? I.e. Shampoo, conditioner, etc.

No way of knowing what triggered it 10 years ago, but if you read what AJ posted, beverages brought on must be in your carry on bags. We do put all our liquids in our carry ons, even mouthwash, hairspray, etc. Just sees simpler.

All of our shampoo, conditioner and mouth wash type items are in our checked luggage and never a problem in 15 years....:confused:

Ditto this... I always take shampoo and conditioner in my checked luggage without issue.

No way of knowing what triggered it 10 years ago, but if you read what AJ posted, beverages brought on must be in your carry on bags. We do put all our liquids in our carry ons, even mouthwash, hairspray, etc. Just sees simpler.

Thanks. That is what I will probably just do. I would rather have to deal with it boarding than later.

Broke what rules? The was NCL ten years ago. There was not a prohibition against soda or mouthwash.

It doesn't say 10 years ago anywhere .... not in your original post or anything following. It's misleading and confusing not getting the info. necessary to give appropriate replies.

I've never had any issues but I had a friend and his wife get the grilling of a lifetime over a 22 bullet my buddy left in his bag from the gun range and fell out on the floor of the cabin. The steward found it and him and his wife were called to the bowels of the ship for a chewing out and asked many questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No flat irons? I guess that settles it - frizzy hair on vacation! Haha

Oops ik my daughter packed hers on all our's the last few years. Seems suprising to me somewhat they wouldn't be allowed...don't most have auto shutoff?

Oops ik my daughter packed hers on all our's the last few years. Seems suprising to me somewhat they wouldn't be allowed...don't most have auto shutoff?

Flat irons for hair styling are fine. Clothes irons are not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums