I think I'm going to cry (Cruise Doc/B.C Related)

IBRelaxin2

Thinking that I would try everything that might work rather than not boarding a cruise that is already paid for.

Thinking that I would apply to have a new b/c expedited.

Thinking that I would drive to the nearest passport office, if that were at all possible, as a backup.

The government will do it in 1-4 days for an extra fee. No biggie you have a lot more than that
But as far as the OP is concerned, she *still* needs the "state-certified" copy of the BC, as the Passport Office doesn't accept the hospital-issied ones either.

IBRELAXIN

IF I were in your spot, I'd order a new b/c and then call the passport agency nearest you. They could give you reliable information. If there is any doubt, they would answer all of your questions.

We can advise, or give opinions all day, but none of us can give you the correct credentials.

I called US Immigration, who told me to call US Customs, who told me that... They would not deny me back into the US after the cruise, however, if I showed up with the Hospital Doc, they may or may not let me cruise. Depends on the day...

She said that if I went to Miami with what I have now, the raised seal B/C and my ID, Carnival would call a customs agent over and check me out and he would most likely allow me to sail, but COULD deny be boarding. So I'm going to have my fiance's uncle overnight my B/C from Mass and hopefully it will all work out.

I have used vitalcheck to get a BC and I paid for the expedited fed ex service. received it as promised with no hassle.

I have also gotten an expedited passport at the agency office here (Norwalk, CT). You HAVE to be able to PROVE that you are traveling within 2 weeks to be able to do this and there is an extra fee involved. It was a very busy day there and I also had a last name change involved. They kept my doc's (BC and notarized copy of last name change from court) and the passport and doc's were ready for me the next day.

You should be able to get your BC via vitalcheck well in time for your cruise.

I called US Immigration, who told me to call US Customs, who told me that... They would not deny me back into the US after the cruise, however, if I showed up with the Hospital Doc, they may or may not let me cruise. Depends on the day...

She said that if I went to Miami with what I have now, the raised seal B/C and my ID, Carnival would call a customs agent over and check me out and he would most likely allow me to sail, but COULD deny be boarding. So I'm going to have my fiance's uncle overnight my B/C from Mass and hopefully it will all work out.

Sounds like a good plan. Definitely better safe than sorry.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Well, I've sailed twice before with Carnival before. I just starting working with for Disney Cruise Lines in the Terminal and noticed that they do not accept Hospital Issued Birth Certificates. This is always what I've sailed with. I've gone to St. Thomas, Nassau, DR, Cozumel, Belize, etc... and not once had a problem with this. Even w/ immigration in/out of the U.S and in St. Thomas, not once has anyone questioned my hospital issued b.c.

Well I call Carnival tonight and they confirm my worst fear that no they DO NOT take hospital issued Birth Certs, even w/ a raised seal from the county. Not sure why I haven't been stopped before.

Well here is the kicker, I leave in 9 days for our cruise. I was born in MA and live in FL. Help!

I know at Disney we can do whats called an affirmation, it's a form you sign saying yes I am a citizen and if I am found not to be I get in trouble, etc. But not sure if Carnival does this as well.

Can anyone help me with this, has anyone else used a Hospital cert before.

I don't know what you can do in this case. However, for others reading this - get your passports NOW! It is not worth taking the chance.

How did you get a passport the same day that you applied? They are not issued locally.

If you live in a large metropolitan area that has a Federal building that does them like LA.

This was before 9/11, but my then wife, absolutely, positively had to have a passport in 3 days on a last minute trip with our friends to England. She went to the Federal building here in Westwood (suburb of LA) and, although it took all day, provided she brought proof of her NEED to get it immediately (plane tickets) she received it in one line after, after one line, after one line DAY. :)

I think the info is wrong too. As long as it has raised seal, if is all that is needed.

Luanne

I can buy a raised-seal maker at Staples for a few bucks and slap it on any old semi-official looking piece of paper I can work up on my computer. That does not prove that I'm a citizen of the US. Only a government-issued document is acceptable.

That does not mean that a harried check-in clerk will not let one slip by. It happens all of the time. But every once in a while someone is denied boarding because of this and it's not a pretty sight.

Just a reminder to all here, not all states/municipalities use a "raised seal". The "certified copy" of my birth certificate [the one I got my Passport with] is on watermarked stationary with a special purple seal.

So I'm going to have my fiance's uncle overnight my B/C from Mass and hopefully it will all work out.

This will surely work. I was born in Massachusetts and got a certified copy of my birth certificate a few years ago by walking into the Springfield city clerk's office. The slip of paper Springfield hands out really doesn't look official, but it has a raised seal, and it always works. It's gotten me onto cruises twice and across the Canadian border multiple times.

Relax and have fun.

I can buy a raised-seal maker at Staples for a few bucks and slap it on any old semi-official looking piece of paper I can work up on my computer. That does not prove that I'm a citizen of the US. Only a government-issued document is acceptable.

That does not mean that a harried check-in clerk will not let one slip by. It happens all of the time. But every once in a while someone is denied boarding because of this and it's not a pretty sight.

Sounds like a good way to earn yourself a one-way trip to Gitmo. :rolleyes:

I took a trip with a friend to the Dominican Republic and he brought his hospital certificate (with a raised seal) to the airport. He was going to be denied boarding, but he had enough other identification on him that he was allowed to complete an affidavit. This was several years ago, though.

Sablerose is correct. An original birth certificate from the hospital is not an acceptable form of citizenship. Generally, these are prepared as a "souvenier" of your child's birth (suitable for framing!). Only an original or certified copy of the certificate issued by the city/county in which you were born is acceptable. These are not nearly as pretty.

I began working as a TA in early 1999, and hospital birth certificates were not allowed, even back then. Neither were baptismal certificates. I think this information was supplied in just about every cruise brochure I ever read, too. Way back when (on my first cruises), you could use a Voter Registration card and a photo I.D. "An original birth certificate" means one that was issued from the County Clerk's office (state) when you/child, etc. were born, and not the one from the hospital...even though it had a gold stamp or raised seal or whatever. A "certified copy" is a copy of your state birth certificate with a certified raised seal/colored stamp. It also usually states "certified" on it somewhere. My kids' hopital certificates have a gold seal and their footprints on them. Please be careful about those hospital certificates..they are definitely not a valid proof of citizenship document!

Anyhow will a certified copy from the local city's office where I was born work? My fiance has an uncle in Plymouth who can overnight us a certified copy from the Clerk's office tomorrow.

Yes..got mine from New Bedford...nice that you still have someone there who can help...will save you time for sure..

Just out of curiosity, are you absolutely sure your BC is the hospital issued one? The fact that it has a raised seal and you have used it for cruises in the past makes me think it might actually be a state issued certified copy. Does it have your little footprints on it ? If it does, then it is a hospital copy. If you aren't sure, maybe you could take it to your local passport office (in many U.S. Post Offices) and they could tell you if it's a certified copy or hospital copy. I would think that if they said it's acceptable for them, it would be acceptable for the cruise lines. I don't think the passport offices will accept hospital copies. You are probably right and it is a hospital copy but I had to ask.

I began working as a TA in early 1999, and hospital birth certificates were not allowed, even back then. Neither were baptismal certificates. I think this information was supplied in just about every cruise brochure I ever read, too. Way back when (on my first cruises), you could use a Voter Registration card and a photo I.D. "An original birth certificate" means one that was issued from the County Clerk's office (state) when you/child, etc. were born, and not the one from the hospital...even though it had a gold stamp or raised seal or whatever. A "certified copy" is a copy of your state birth certificate with a certified raised seal/colored stamp. It also usually states "certified" on it somewhere. My kids' hopital certificates have a gold seal and their footprints on them. Please be careful about those hospital certificates..they are definitely not a valid proof of citizenship document!

I have a friend that cruises with us and he has used a hospital BC on every cruise since 2001. Both Carnival and RCI took it with no questions. He also did not have anyone from immigration/customs question it either when we were debarking the ship. He has since renewed his passport for his upcoming cruise. I have found the agents for the cruise line and the government to be kind of lax. Of course one is playing with Russian roulette when doing this.

Archived