I think I'm going to cry (Cruise Doc/B.C Related)

IBRelaxin2

Well, I've sailed twice before with Carnival before. I just starting working with for Disney Cruise Lines in the Terminal and noticed that they do not accept Hospital Issued Birth Certificates. This is always what I've sailed with. I've gone to St. Thomas, Nassau, DR, Cozumel, Belize, etc... and not once had a problem with this. Even w/ immigration in/out of the U.S and in St. Thomas, not once has anyone questioned my hospital issued b.c.

Well I call Carnival tonight and they confirm my worst fear that no they DO NOT take hospital issued Birth Certs, even w/ a raised seal from the county. Not sure why I haven't been stopped before.

Well here is the kicker, I leave in 9 days for our cruise. I was born in MA and live in FL. Help!

I know at Disney we can do whats called an affirmation, it's a form you sign saying yes I am a citizen and if I am found not to be I get in trouble, etc. But not sure if Carnival does this as well.

Can anyone help me with this, has anyone else used a Hospital cert before.

I am going on Carnival Liberty Jan 06 and when filling out my fun pass online it asked what you will be using , birth cert, passport, etc. I put down birth cert. This will be good for another year then you will have to use only a passport. Starting Dec 31 06. Hope everything works out, Personally, during my years of crusing I have got alot of wrong info from Carnival employees.

not once had a problem with this. Even w/ immigration in/out of the U.S and in St. Thomas, not once has anyone questioned my hospital issued b.c.

Well I call Carnival tonight and they confirm my worst fear that no they DO NOT take hospital issued Birth Certs, even w/ a raised seal from the county. Not sure why I haven't been stopped before.

I am guessing that you haven't had a problem because your "hospital" bc has that raised seal. That is usually what is considered a certified copy. Good luck ~ I am sure that it will all work out!!!

I would take the advice of those who posted ways to get a new one in quickly. If you live near a passport office, why don't you got there too. Bring your cruise docs, the bc that you have, and any other ID that might help. They might be able to help you. I once got a passport the same day that I applied. This was pre 911, but it's worth a shot.

I was also born in MA..I needed a certified copy of my BC and called the Clerk of Courts in the city inwhich I was born. They were very helpfuland offered me several ways to get the BC. I paid $8 for the copy and $20 to have it Fed Ex'd overnight. (by credit card) got it in 2 days...it is doable since you leave in 9 days..do it first thing..good luck

I don't know. That's why I suggested that she bring along other forms of identification. I think she should get another b/c also. I just think that at this point, I'd try to do everything I could to make sure I could get on that ship. As I said, it's worth a shot.

As long as your copy of the birth certificate has a raised seal - they will accept it - I don't care what you were told on the phone.

I just sailed recently on Carnival, have sailed several times with them in fact, and I have always used my copy that has the raised seal.

I think you were given misinformation about this.

A hospital birth certificate is not the same thing as a certified copy from the city or county where you were born.

There is information on a "certified" birth certificate that isn't found on a hospital copy. And that's why they want an official one.

In this day and age it's worth it to have an official birth record IMHO ... I'd go thru vitalchek and just get one expedited to you for about $40. We've had to do it two or three times with hubby's birth certificate becuase the military's always needing it for something-or-other, and they aren't always done with using it in one place before they need another. We have 3 copies of his birth certificate.

A hospital issued birth certificate is NOT the same as a state issued certified copy... to be safe, you should have the state certified BC... the hospital will most likely work since it has a raised seal, but if you have the time, go ahead and order one from Vital Chek, just to be safe...

I would take the advice of those who posted ways to get a new one in quickly. If you live near a passport office, why don't you got there too. Bring your cruise docs, the bc that you have, and any other ID that might help. They might be able to help you. I once got a passport the same day that I applied. This was pre 911, but it's worth a shot.

How did you get a passport the same day that you applied? They are not issued locally.

How did you get a passport the same day that you applied? They are not issued locally.

Still trying to figure that one out myself. I've gotten a Visa within 24 hours after pulling some strings... but even the rush "same day" service takes about 5 days... I didn't think the passport offices around the country had "walk in" service??? :confused:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_travel_document.aspx

It's pretty obvious from the above link that hospital-issued bc's, raised seal or not, are not acceptable travel documents.

I assumed this: original birth certificate, state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Department of Health and Vital Statistics, or original Naturalization papers.

from their site, meant Hospital was ok, it is my original and has a seal.

Anyhow will a certified copy from the local city's office where I was born work? My fiance has an uncle in Plymouth who can overnight us a certified copy from the Clerk's office tomorrow.

Yes. As long as it has the official raised seal

Anyhow will a certified copy from the local city's office where I was born work? My fiance has an uncle in Plymouth who can overnight us a certified copy from the Clerk's office tomorrow.
That would work fine.

Certain localities do not used a de-facto raised seal, but have other mechanisms in place to ensure "sertified copy"status, such as holograms or colored paper.

I went to the passport office in New Orleans. It was printed there. I got it that afternoon.

As I said before, this was pre 911. I don't know if it's still possible, but it might be worth a try.

Thinking, just thinking, that it might be easier to have the BC overnighted rather than fly to one of the agencies for the chance to get a passport same day, which probably wouldn't happen ;) Here are the agencies, and you can get one expedited... probably not same day, but you can get one quickly... I'd still say just order a copy of your BC, it will get there sooner and be less expensive. Good luck!!!!

NOTE: The easiest way to get your passport is to apply at one of over 7,000 public places that accept passport applications. (See Where to Apply for a Passport Nationwide .)

If you need your passport urgently, generally in less than 2 weeks, you may contact one of our Passport Agencies listed below. All agencies take applications only by appointment. Please call in advance.

THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR AN APPOINTMENT AT A PASSPORT AGENCY. CUSTOMERS SHOULD NOT PAY ANYONE OR ANY BUSINESS MAKING SUCH A CHARGE.

Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays

Automated Appointment Number: 1-877-487-2778

NOTE: Boston Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays

NOTE: Chicago Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays

NOTE: Colorado Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

Automated Appointment Number: 1 (877) 487-2778

NOTE: Connecticut Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

NOTE: Honolulu Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

NOTE: Houston Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays

NOTE: Los Angeles Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

• MIAMI Passport Agency
    Claude Pepper Federal Office Building
    51 SW First Avenue
    3rd Floor
    Miami, FL 33130-1680

NOTE: Miami Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

• NEW ORLEANS Passport Agency
    One Canal Place (corner of Canal and North Peters Streets)
    365 Canal Street, Suite 1300
    New Orleans, LA 70130-6508

NOTE: New Orleans Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays

NOTE: New York Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

NOTE: Philadelphia Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

NOTE: San Francisco Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

NOTE: Seattle Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

NOTE: Washington Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

Hours: 8:15 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays

NOTE: Applications for Diplomatic, Official, and No-Fee passports

To serve you better, we have 2 Passport Processing Centers designed to help us meet our increasing demand for passports.

Please note that these Centers are NOT open to the public.

• CHARLESTON Passport Center
    1269 Holland Street
    Charleston, SC 29405

Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays

• NATIONAL Passport Center
    31 Rochester Avenue
    Portsmouth, NH 03801-2900

Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding Federal holidays

Archived