Interior or Balcony

darinden

I should definitely get a balcony instead of an interior room on my Alaska Cruise right?

Not necessarily. For us, we prefer insides and obstructed ocean view for Alaska since we prefer to be up on top deck with a panorama view as opposed to sitting on a balcony with a more limited view.

We've been to Alaska four or five times now and have only had a balcony once (upgraded on our first X cruise) and have never regretted not having a balcony. We'd much rather cruise in cheap inside cabins 3 separate times as opposed to sailing only once in a balcony accommodation for Alaska.

We do enjoy our balconies on warm weather cruises, however.

I'll enjoy a balcony if the price is right. But I can be equally happy in an interior or ocean view. As many others who say they are happy with an interior stateroom, I tend to be out and about until its time to retire. The few times I've had a balcony its been because the price difference was minimal.

With my Alaska cruise I was very happy with our interior cabin at less than half the price we would have paid for a balcony. I loved the full view from the upper decks, and being able to move to another perspective, or have other cruisers point out an animal or vista that I hadn't seen until someone pointed it out. There were so many sights I would have missed from the limited perspective of a balcony!

I loved having a balcony in Alaska. Took lots of great photos on it and spent hours sitting and enjoying the scenery. Up on the main deck people were often pushing and shoving to get to the rail for the best views - and then racing to the other side to do it again. But everyone has a different experience so whatever you do, enjoy your travels!

I loved having a balcony in Alaska. Took lots of great photos on it and spent hours sitting and enjoying the scenery. Up on the main deck people were often pushing and shoving to get to the rail for the best views - and then racing to the other side to do it again. But everyone has a different experience so whatever you do, enjoy your travels!

I never really have had this problem. There are views all around and people may gather when someone sighted animals on shore or whales in the water, but usually only those who were already in the area. I've not experienced pushing and shoving. On cruises like Glacier Bay or Chilean fjords, or Norway fjords where you spend hours cruising through gorgeous areas there is no need to push or shove.

I certainly appreciate that there are many who love the balcony experience and wouldn't consider not having at least a balcony. My viewpoint is that if you are happy with interior or ocean view on other cruises you will probably find many positive points with the same on an Alaskan cruise. I wouldn't want someone to decide against an Alaskan cruise because they couldn't afford a balcony. Or take just one cruise in 5 years because you had to save up that long, rather than enjoying so much of the world's beauty by enjoying less expensive cabins traveling more frequently.

I find 4 weeks in an inside cabin is twice the fun of 2 weeks in a balcony cabin. A lot depends on how much holiday time you have available - if you only have 2 weeks to spare, then you might want to spend the extra cash; if you have four or six (or if retired, 52) then saving the money for more holidays becomes important.

I can see that for health reasons it might become a lot easier to be able to step outside rather than walk along the corridor to the lift. But if that's not an issue, then (for me) I will spend 95% of my time in the cabin with my eyes shut, so I don't care that there's no window.

Every year when we start looking at cruises I always ask myself the same question, especially when it's a more expensive, longer cruise. The price difference is always significant even between the OV and a balcony. Our very first cruise was in 1988 on Carnival and we had an inside cabin. No balconies then, but the Travel Agent said, "it's your first cruise, you won't know any better." We were against cruising until 2002. The inside room was like being in jail! I know that the ships today have to have better inside cabins now, but, we stick to a balcony. No balcony, no cruise! I just love the peacefulness of every sailaway from each port from our own balcony. It's worth the extra dollars only if we just use it then.

...if money is not an issue then no reason not to get a balcony.

Heck, if money is no issue, get a suite. I know some people who always get a grand suite or higher when they cruise. Must be nice. For me, money is an issue, and I prefer an inside cabin to save money. FYI...On some ships, suite guests get nice perks such as free drinks.

I've always read that a balcony is a must for Alaska cruises. My concerns are (1) It is probably cold outside, and (2) My view would be limited to only one side of the ship if I stayed in my cabin. I would be guaranteed an unobstructed view if I have my own balcony, which might make the balcony worth it. There really is no right or wrong answer -- only personal preferences.

Heck, if money is no issue, get a suite. I know some people who always get a grand suite or higher when they cruise. Must be nice. For me, money is an issue, and I prefer an inside cabin to save money. FYI...On some ships, suite guests get nice perks such as free drinks.

I've always read that a balcony is a must for Alaska cruises. My concerns are (1) It is probably cold outside, and (2) My view would be limited to only one side of the ship if I stayed in my cabin. I would be guaranteed an unobstructed view if I have my own balcony, which might make the balcony worth it. There really is no right or wrong answer -- only personal preferences.

Yes, it can be cold outside. And possibly rainy - which would also affect top deck viewing. Much of the time on an Alaska cruise you aren't near enough to land to see much of it, so you won't need to be on deck all of the time. With a balcony you have the advantage of the large window/door at the end of the room, which lets in a lot of natural light, and you always have a view of something, be it land in the distance or just water. You can easily sit and read if you want a quiet place, and if you see something, quickly go out to get a closer look. Days are long in Alaska. On our cruise the sun rose at around 3:45 am and set around 10:00, so there will be lots of opportunity to see the view outside your cabin, even when getting ready for the day or for the evening activities.

Here is what you will see much of the time from your balcony. This was the view one evening while we were getting ready for dinner.

IMG_0776s.JPG