HELP!!! Breakway Extension cords!!??!@??

caddykid12

I know the room in my (MA) mini suite has 2 110v outlets on the sane circuit on the counter. And a 110v in bathroom

My problem is i charge my phones and camera thru out the night in a power strip from one outlet. And i need to run an extension cord to a fan near my bed from the other outlet.

Can that work or is that too heavy of a currant at once for the ships load?

I can run my phone charger in the USB near the beds....which would only need an outlet for a camera charger.

What is my best option???

Charge phones near bed in USB

Use bathroom 110v To charge camera

And run 1 extension thru the night from counter outlet?

Or just use a power strip in 1 outlet and the fan/extension in the 2nd outlet?

Thanks

I know the room in my (MA) mini suite has 2 110v outlets on the sane circuit on the counter. And a 110v in bathroom ... My problem is i charge my phones and camera thru out the night in a power strip from one outlet. And i need to run an extension cord to a fan near my bed from the other outlet ... Can that work or is that too heavy of a currant at once for the ships load? ,,,

Relax, those two 110 volts should be more than adequate to handle those loads as described.

Even on BA's Inside staterooms (see image below), there are two (2) more 220-240 volts outlet for use - almost all modern smartphone and digital camera chargers in use these days are dual voltage, auto-sensing and will be happy running either 110-120 or 220-240 volts to power & recharge. Kindly re-check the charger's label/decal to confirm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9l2dhc97qr3nt7/IMG160524_1718.jpg?dl=0

I travel with a 4-port (2 amp) USB charger and a 2nd. 2-port USB charger (2.4 amp rated) - both of them dual voltage & UL-listed (with a correct adapter plug for 220-240 voltage outlet) - drawing very little current & they run safely & cool.

You mentioned a power strip - please make sure that it is not one with surge protection/circuit breaker as those are now considered fire hazards - ship security & room stewards are supposed to disallow them. Unattended devices that are plugged into power outlets inside the staterooms are subject to be disconnected, for fire safety reasons, when the guests are not there.

I wasnt goimg to daisy chain the extension cord into the power strip just to be safe. My mom was flipping out and im like i see nothing wrong with that.

Yes always have a power strip WITHOUT a surge protector

is it true there is a 110v in the bathroom too.?? CCL onky has an outlit for a trickle charge shaver

Now since i sleep on the far side of the room near balcony. Any ideas where to put the fan? The desk is soo short lol

Power outlets in bathroom do not work when the bathroom light switch is off! On the 'Aways and Escape, and also the SUN.

We use night light in our bathroom at night, and bring either one or a tea light to use in the bathroom at night.

All of this is assuming they let you keep your fan. Some on here have said they confiscated theirs. Not sure why! I know we like a fan at night too. I downloaded a "fan" app on my IPhone just in case our fan does not make it through.

All of this is assuming they let you keep your fan. Some on here have said they confiscated theirs. Not sure why! I know we like a fan at night too. I downloaded a "fan" app on my IPhone just in case our fan does not make it through.

Oh i have a Drs Note. Its not for noise its for air flow in my face i cant breathe in hot dense air i need a fan on me at night time while sleeping

... is it true there is a 110v in the bathroom too.?? CCL onky has an outlit for a trickle charge shaver ...

BA's bathroom does have a switched 110v outlet on the ceiling next to the mirro, it is marked "shaver" only - low amp/current flow. Besides using it for a shaver or maybe electric toothbrush, it's fine for a typical smartphone or digital camera charger drawing 1, 2 or 3 amp. etc. - anything that's rated higher would likely trip the circuit breaker (and, you can't reset it without access to the panel, somewhere else.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmtu9appu5wdzmw/SDC10668.JPG?dl=0

BA's bathroom does have a switched 110v outlet on the ceiling next to the mirro, it is marked "shaver" only - low amp/current flow. Besides using it for a shaver or maybe electric toothbrush, it's fine for a typical smartphone or digital camera charger drawing 1, 2 or 3 amp. etc. - anything that's rated higher would likely trip the circuit breaker (and, you can't reset it without access to the panel, somewhere else.)

So you are claiming its ok IF needed to charge a digitsl camera? In there if i need to

other than that i just wanted opinions if its safe to run a powerstrip in 1 outlet and an Extension Cord in the other fir a fan

Remember the outlets are OFF when the light switch for bathroom is off.

So you are claiming its ok IF needed to charge a digitsl camera? In there if i need to ...
I standby my response - it's not a claim only, had done it onboard the BA (as a brief test) that we've sailed 3X. A typical digital camera charger does not draw more than 1 amp to recharge its small battery - my Sony digital camera's OEM charger is rated at 0.4 amp and the Olympus is rated at 0.5 amp, both dual-voltage 110-220 & UL approved.

It's a "switched" outlet and power is cutoff when the bathroom light is OFF. As a matter of electrical and fire safety, personally speaking, I would NOT plug any device near the sink/toilet area with running water - someone recently got electrocuted while charging a smartphone in the bathroom & dropped it into water, retrieved it & zapped ...

As I pointed out, there are 4 outlets in total at the desk/dresser area - a typical portable fan isn't likely to draw more amp or current than the average laptop using a 90 watts+ charger. An UL-listed/approved extension cord by itself isn't going to trip the circuit's safety breaker - it's what you have connected & running, drawing current. Assuming that your personal fan is medically approved for use onboard & in working order, it "should" not be a problem.

Consult a licensed maritime electrical engineer as you wish - it sounded as if you remained doubtful. Good luck & enjoy your cruise. :confused: