anyone been on regal princess staying in aft cabin

iron2000

Hi we are due to sail on Regal in Sept and we have aft cabin on deck 15 , read a few OLD reviews about soot falling , has this issue been resolved, as it seems to be dirty fuel or filters ? any update.If its an issue what did people do about it

Dave:rolleyes:

We were in an aft cabin and had no issues with soot. Almost all ships that wedding cake afts will have soot to a greater or lesser degree depending upon wind speed/wind direction/humidity/temperature/ships speed/sailing direction.

A more important issue with Regal/Royal is the tiny balconies along the sides. Maybe 40 inches in depth making them almost unusable. We would rather book an aft with a balcony of useful size and take our chances with soot.

As RocketMan725 posted, soot happens on other ships also.

On the Golden I'd walk daily on the exposed upper decks for exercise during a long cruise. Depending upon the wind conditions (direction/speed), the aft sports deck (16) & chairs could be covered in small pellet size balls of soot. It was impossible to avoid them (starboard aft side downwind from the stacks) and had to clean my shoes after every walk.

Are all the aft balcony's bigger on the Regal/Royal? Or is it just certain ones? On the layout the look smaller every other floor. If they are some that are smaller - are they still bigger then the ones on the side?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are all the aft balcony's bigger on the Regal/Royal? Or is it just certain ones? On the layout the look smaller every other floor. If they are some that are smaller - are they still bigger then the ones on the side?

Here are useful photos posted by Dave showing their aft facing balconies.

Here are a few annotated pictures from the 'Everything' thread showing the aft facing balconies:

8957384058_5fd2c6f569_b.jpg

9391397190_06541f215d_b.jpg

9045375437_ef51990d4b_o.jpg

So is Baja deck 38 balcony bigger then Aloha 38 in picture above? If so is Aloha still any bigger then side balcony? Trying to see if I should switch a floor down.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to reply. We booked the aft for the larger balcony.

Dave

You were right about the soot problem which was finally taken care of several years ago. In the beginning it was quite bad, you could see film of soot on the furniture. The only problem now is privacy, especially the ones just under the lido deck where guests can look down.