Bed bugs

We had close friends cruise on Royal Caribbean a few weeks ago and had bed bugs in their cabin... confirmed by the cruise line after the fact.

We are getting ready to cruise on anthem this week so I had a couple of questions. Is there a good way to check your cabin upon arrival? Any tips to prevent being bit? Any other tips or precautions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We had close friends cruise on Royal Caribbean a few weeks ago and had bed bugs in their cabin... confirmed by the cruise line after the fact.

We are getting ready to cruise on anthem this week so I had a couple of questions. Is there a good way to check your cabin upon arrival? Any tips to prevent being bit? Any other tips or precautions.

Google

And replace the ac filter

Check the whole room, but especially the mattress and bedding. They are sometimes hard to find unless it's a bad infestation. You have to completely tear the bedding apart. We always start with the top layer and work our way down to the mattress.

What you are looking for are small blood spots and tiny brown spots. Look in the seams of the mattress and check around plugs in the wall as they will sometimes live in those and around pictures on the wall. Google info on bed bugs. They will tell you what to look for.

We also pack our clothes in compression bags and leave them in the suitcase. Not that we couldn't get bed bugs in the suitcase if there were an infestation in the room, but we figure it will make it harder for them to get into our clothes.

I know, a little extreme, but I have a phobia about bed bugs because they are so hard to get rid of once you have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Check the whole room, but especially the mattress and bedding. They are sometimes hard to find unless it's a bad infestation. You have to completely tear the bedding apart. We always start with the top layer and work our way down to the mattress.

What you are looking for are small blood spots and tiny brown spots. Look in the seams of the mattress and check around plugs in the wall as they will sometimes live in those and around pictures on the wall. Google info on bed bugs. They will tell you what to look for.

We also pack our clothes in compression bags and leave them in the suitcase. Not that we couldn't get bed bugs in the suitcase if there were an infestation in the room, but we figure it will make it harder for them to get into our clothes.

I know, a little extreme, but I have a phobia about bed bugs because they are so hard to get rid of once you have them.

Thank you....sounds like a time consuming process but I guess its better to be safe rather than sorry.

It is a little time consuming but we just do it first thing when we get to the room. Then we have the rest of the day and cruise to enjoy our vacation. [emoji846]

If you check, and you find evidence of them in your room, then what? If there's no empty rooms available, what can be done?

GREAT advice.

If you check, and you find evidence of them in your room, then what? If there's no empty rooms available, what can be done?

I have the same question since most sailings are sold out. Does anyone know what they do in that case?

I have the same question since most sailings are sold out. Does anyone know what they do in that case?

I have read on these boards numerous times that a certain number of cabins are kept empty for a variety of reasons. Ships show that they are sailing full but I'm pretty sure that at least once a cruise, someone will need to be moved for whatever reason.

I have read on these boards numerous times that a certain number of cabins are kept empty for a variety of reasons. Ships show that they are sailing full but I'm pretty sure that at least once a cruise, someone will need to be moved for whatever reason.

Thanks.

I guess I've read quite the opposite. I remember posts where people had specific problems with their rooms, and were told that there were no other rooms available to move them to. I would find it hard to believe that ships would sail with empty rooms.

I also believe that they do leave some empty rooms in case of emergencies where a person or family might need to be moved.

Three thoughts:

- Yes, they're very hard -- and expensive -- to get rid of. Two friends of mine have had them (well, one friend and a friend who dealt with them in her son's college apartment). One of these friends is an absolute neat freak ... both friends have put a healthy fear of bed bugs into my mind. Each ended up replacing a mattress, so don't underestimate the cost of "treatment".

- I second the thought about "what would you do"? You're already onboard. If they have another room, great ... but, if not? I feel pretty sure they'd have a couple extra mattresses stored in case of emergencies ... but putting a new mattress in an infested room wouldn't fix your problem or the ship's problem. I really don't know the answer to this question.

- Watching Shark Tank a few weeks ago I saw a product called Buggy Beds Traps, and I thought to myself, "I'll buy that when we go out of town again." If memory serves, ALL FIVE Sharks went in with the two women offering this product.

Here's the thing: You open up a package and stick the "traps" under all four corners of the mattress ... I don't quite get the point because I thought bed bugs stayed at the head of the bed, but I'm also no expert. The bugs crawl into the traps ... I assume something tastey's hidden in there? It won't catch a full-fledged infestation, but if you see bugs, you know you have a problem and can ask for another room (or, in your own home, you could begin extermination). My knowledge of the product is very limited, but I see that reviews on Amazon are split, which makes me wonder: Do different types of bed bugs exist? One type that's attracted to this trap, one that isn't?

Final thought: I just looked over the Buggy Beds website, and they do contradict themselves on the site. Are these things any good? I don't know. I just saw them on Shark Tank.

I also believe that they do leave some empty rooms in case of emergencies where a person or family might need to be moved.

I would not think so -why else do people need to stay in their rooms when they have water or toilet maintenance problem...

They would sure move them if they could!

We also have an acquaintance that had them in their kids room and had to throw away mattresses and wooden bunk bed set. Then the sofa because the kids had went to sleep on it because they couldn't sleep in their beds. It cost them A LOT of money to get rid of them.

All I know is if I had real evidence that there were bed bugs in my room and they wouldn't move me, I'm gone. I would take all kinds of photos and videos and fight with the cruise line to get my money back. Now I don't have that kind of money to just flush down the tubes and the probability of getting my money back from the cruise line would probably be slim to none, but it would be cheaper then bringing them home with me and then trying to get rid of them.