Prices in Norway - How Much Money Will I Need

I am trying to figure out how much money I will need in Norway. I can use my credit card for somethings but also want to take some cash with me but I have no idea what the prices are like there compared to the US. Does anybody have any suggestions?

It depends significantly on what you're buying, but I would say that on average the prices are about 25% higher than the US. The current exchange rate is around 8 NOK per USD, but I would say the prices are more comparable to a 10/1 exchange rate. According to the Economist's Big Mac Index, Norway is down to 11% above the US.

However, there are plenty of specific things that are going to skew extremely higher, due to additional factors like taxes and labor costs. Dining out in a restaurant is drastically more expensive, and alcohol is taxed quite heavily.

Some reference points:

Croissant or cardamom bun from a convenience store: 15-35 NOK ($2-4)

Sausage or hot dog from a convenience store or petrol station: 25-50 NOK ($3-6)

Take-away sandwich from a convenience store or bakery: 50-80 NOK ($6-10)

Dish at an inexpensive restaurant: 125-150 NOK ($15-20)

Dish at a mid-range restaurant: 175-250 NOK ($22-30)

Black coffee from a convenience store: 15-25 NOK ($2-3)

Espresso drink from a coffee shop: 35-50 NOK ($4-6)

Bottle of water or soda from a convenience store: 25-35 NOK ($3-4)

Soda (single serving) at a restaurant: 35-50 NOK ($4-6)

Draft beer: 60-100 NOK ($8-13), depending on the location

Glass of wine:75-150 NOK ($9-19)

Use of a paid public toilet: 5-15 NOK (75¢-$2)

Single transit ticket: 30-50 NOK ($4-6)

Regular-price museum admission: 50-180 NOK ($6-23)

10-minute taxi ride: 150-225 NOK ($19-28)

Unless your credit card has high fees for international transactions, I would recommend just using it the bulk of your purchases. It's common for locals to use bank cards to pay for even the smallest purchases (e.g. 10 NOK). The only place that may require cash would be purchasing tickets on board a bus or tram, and in that case tickets can typically be purchased in advance at a convenience store instead. Note that card readers for public toilets or other vending machines typically require a chip-and-pin card.

We were there for a week in June and had no Norwegian Krone at all and didn't need any. We used CCs with no foreign transaction fees even for small items in the market. Northern Europe is becoming a cashless society.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am not knocking Norway as we really enjoyed our time there. The VAT is actually 25% for food and items. A pizza was about $20.00 and a bowl of soup was $17.00 in Flam. .Another example is postage for a post card is 21,00 NOK equivalent to $2.64 USD. We found it very easy to go through 200,00 NOK cash in three days plus use a credit card for large purchases.

Norway is probably the most expensive place that you will ever visit. It's 25% up on London prices, so for many small towners from Europe or USA you are likely to be

50% up on home prices and alcohol is just prohibitably priced

Beautiful but costly visiting by ship without all the day to day costs is the best way to see it

I know Europe is expensive so I am expecting high prices. Glad to know I can get by with just my credit card and will have to watch my spending. I usually set aside spending money and when that's gone its gone, this way I don't over spend (hopefully).

I agree you can use a credit card for most things in Norway, but take two. I had several occasions where my VISA was declined but was able to use my American Express. Also, recommend you get a small amount of NOK either before you go, or from an ATM once you arrive in Norway. There are many public and tourist places with only paid toilets, for which you need coins, and they don't usually take folding money or credit cards. Also much faster to use cash when buying snacks.

Norway is expensive, but I am not sure you can really say it is the most expensive place you will ever travel. Have you been to Japan lately?

Yes been to Japan, nowhere near the prices in Norway. Japanese prices are around London ones maybe a notch higher but nowhere near Norwegian ones, which are way up on Sweden, hence the unusual duty reducing buying you see on the border for Coca-Cola etc bought by the case and taken back in the boot of the car. If possible be tea total in Norway as alcohol is ludicrous prices , makes London and southern England look cheap and well for Mediterranean Europeans likely to cause a seizure, wine is 4 times the prices in the Mediterranean around £50 /$70 a bottle.

Norway is great but prices do make your eyes water, it cannot be done on a tight budget and cruise visits with most costs not on land the best way to do it as food, accommodation, excursions (especially if like Regent paid in the fare )are not costs to Norway.

We were in Japan in April and Norway in July. Norway is much more expensive than Japan. It was $30 for a personal pan pizza when we were there in 2014, the only food we dared eat out. We lived on supermarket fruit and McDonalds for 5 days in Norway and cereal bars brought from home. This time we cruised and ate every meal but one on the ship. Souvenirs are more expensive but not as bad as food prices and eating out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends significantly on what you're buying, but I would say that on average the prices are about 25% higher than the US. The current exchange rate is around 8 NOK per USD, but I would say the prices are more comparable to a 10/1 exchange rate. According to the Economist's Big Mac Index, Norway is down to 11% above the US.

However, there are plenty of specific things that are going to skew extremely higher, due to additional factors like taxes and labor costs. Dining out in a restaurant is drastically more expensive, and alcohol is taxed quite heavily.

Some reference points:

Croissant or cardamom bun from a convenience store: 15-35 NOK ($2-4)

Sausage or hot dog from a convenience store or petrol station: 25-50 NOK ($3-6)

Take-away sandwich from a convenience store or bakery: 50-80 NOK ($6-10)

Dish at an inexpensive restaurant: 125-150 NOK ($15-20)

Dish at a mid-range restaurant: 175-250 NOK ($22-30)

Black coffee from a convenience store: 15-25 NOK ($2-3)

Espresso drink from a coffee shop: 35-50 NOK ($4-6)

Bottle of water or soda from a convenience store: 25-35 NOK ($3-4)

Soda (single serving) at a restaurant: 35-50 NOK ($4-6)

Draft beer: 60-100 NOK ($8-13), depending on the location

Glass of wine:75-150 NOK ($9-19)

Use of a paid public toilet: 5-15 NOK (75¢-$2)

Single transit ticket: 30-50 NOK ($4-6)

Regular-price museum admission: 50-180 NOK ($6-23)

10-minute taxi ride: 150-225 NOK ($19-28)

Unless your credit card has high fees for international transactions, I would recommend just using it the bulk of your purchases. It's common for locals to use bank cards to pay for even the smallest purchases (e.g. 10 NOK). The only place that may require cash would be purchasing tickets on board a bus or tram, and in that case tickets can typically be purchased in advance at a convenience store instead. Note that card readers for public toilets or other vending machines typically require a chip-and-pin card.

I can vouch for the above prices - some good info there. If anyone has any more specific questions on Norwegian prices/payments/currency then fire away.

Question for using credit card...someone mentioned using chip and pin..I have yet to provide a pin when I am using a Chip Credit card in other parts of Europe, will I have to in Norway?

Here in Norway you'll usually will have to use a pin, but you might be able to use signature on credit cards.

When I visited Norway a few years ago, prices were very high for most items but quite reasonable for others. It is definitely not a "shopping destination"!

That said, I loved Oslo! It's a very pedestrian-friendly city and has great public transportation. Make sure to visit Frogner Park (sculpture park). It is magnificent... and free!

http://oslo-norway.ca

Question for using credit card...someone mentioned using chip and pin..I have yet to provide a pin when I am using a Chip Credit card in other parts of Europe, will I have to in Norway?

Most staffed sales points can use a signature card. However, you will likely not be able to use your card at unmanned sales points like vending machines or unstaffed petrol stations.

Most staffed sales points can use a signature card. However, you will likely not be able to use your card at unmanned sales points like vending machines or unstaffed petrol stations.

Here in Norway you'll usually will have to use a pin, but you might be able to use signature on credit cards.

In the states(California) at point of sale we insert our card with the chip and do not enter a pin. No sig. Usually the pin is only for cash advance. I'll check with my cc company...thank u both for the help.

I spoke to my credit card company (Chase) and they said the pin number is only used for cash advances. In the past I haven't had any problems using my chip and sign card.

As previously noted your card will be fine as a chip and sign, but in the situations of unattended machines like self serve gas stations or railroad ticket machines you would be out of luck. As a cruiser with day stops this should not present a problem. I still always recommend bringing 2 cards. My wife and I carry opposite ones, should one be lost, stolen or just stop working you still have a backup.

Yes, we take more than one too. In France on a Sunday many petrol stations are self serve and sometimes, for some unknown reason won't accept my MasterCard CC, but will accept Visa. So, if we didn't have more than one card could be in trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Forums