Waitlisted for Late in Britannia

Csardas

We booked, yesterday, for QV on the 12th of August. On the 'phone, the TA said that both Early and Late were available and we chose Late.

VP came through this morning and we're down as Early, waitlisted for Late!! I'll go straight to the Maitre D' when he's available and try to get it amended but would prefer to get it resolved before leaving and have already emailed the TA.

Has anyone had any experience like this and what was the resolution?

Leave it until you are onboard, only the duty Maitre D' on the day is able to sort a request like this out.

I guess your Travel agent was only advising you of what the evening dining options are, e.g. either early or late. Although your preferred option may have been late, it often is not fully confirmed until you receive the dining card in your room on embarkation.

Your post is not clear whether this 'late booking' was on a saver fare ?

Edited by Bell Boy

You only booked 2 weeks before you sail, so it's likely that late sitting is fully booked. I note on Cunard's site that there's only a single grade of Oceanview cabin available, so the cruise is pretty much sold out.

Having said that, I always understood that early was more popular than late. Maybe not ?

You only booked 2 weeks before you sail, so it's likely that late sitting is fully booked. I note on Cunard's site that there's only a single grade of Oceanview cabin available, so the cruise is pretty much sold out.

Having said that, I always understood that early was more popular than late. Maybe not ?

The point is that Cunard's system offered the TA the option of Late, which he booked as per our choice. Why offer a choice if it's actually a Hobson's??

Hello

Its has been my long experience that the late sitting is less in demand than the first. I will be very surprised if you don't get the arrangements you desire. As others have suggested make it a priority to consult with the MD after boarding. I would also advise that you check out the dining room on both levels to make note of the tables you would like so you can request your preferred table. Obviously some locations are better than others. Good luck.

Deck Chair

We booked, yesterday, for QV on the 12th of August. On the 'phone, the TA said that both Early and Late were available and we chose Late.

VP came through this morning and we're down as Early, waitlisted for Late!! I'll go straight to the Maitre D' when he's available and try to get it amended but would prefer to get it resolved before leaving and have already emailed the TA.

Frankly I'm just amazed.

I have to admit that's the first time I've heard of a 'late' request not being met.

I've always accepted that 'early' sitting was the most popular.

Hiya Toad.

We are in agreement again.

By the way, I've always understood that the choice of sitting offered was a request until one receives Cunard's confirmation.

By the way, I've always understood that the choice of sitting offered was a request until one receives Cunard's confirmation.

That's what I assumed it was as well; i.e. it's a request, not a guarantee. However, if you book the Cunard fare as opposed to the Saver fare, you would get priority. But if all the tables are taken, then you can only have what they have left of course.

I've always accepted that 'early' sitting was the most popular.

It appears that (1) early is more popular among passengers and (2) late is more popular on this board.

I wonder if early is even more popular on westbound TAs than eastbound, since with the former, 6 pm is effectively 7 pm rather than 5 pm.

I think you might be pushing your luck to try and request a specific table.

Hi

Of course the first priority is to be on the late sitting. If you achieve that here is nothing to lose by requesting a certain table or section. I have found the MDs are happy to help you if they can.

Deck Chair

It appears that (1) early is more popular among passengers and (2) late is more popular on this board.

I wonder if early is even more popular on westbound TAs than eastbound, since with the former, 6 pm is effectively 7 pm rather than 5 pm.

I would expect it to vary depending on passenger demographic, time of year and route. Cruising may be different to a crossing.

We've always had late when we've requested it. Good luck Csardas, let us know how you get on.

Edited by Host Hattie

It may depend on what fare you paid SAVER or CUNARD, if you pay the Cunard fare i think you would be guaranteed the sitting you wanted.:cool:

It may depend on what fare you paid SAVER or CUNARD, if you pay the Cunard fare i think you would be guaranteed the sitting you wanted.:cool:

The OP has already said they paid the Cunard Fare.

But your sitting can never be guaranteed. In the end, it must be roughly 50-50 on late and early sitting. So it fthe majority of people (for example) booked late sitting there would simply not be enough room for them all.