Wine Experts, Help Please

I learned from these boards that the Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling is a sweeter wine sold on board. It's one of my favorites. I have had the beringer zinfandel and it's ok, not too bad.

Can you recommend any other wines that are more on the sweet side? I know my wife loves red wine that leans on the sweet side too. Hoping there are recommendations for white and red wines that are sweet. I believe I had the moscato a couple of years ago and I liked that too.

We will be on Anthem if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!

Ask the advice of the sommelier onboard.

That's his job.

In the meantime bring a couple of your favorite wines onboard.

With corkage your $6 bottle of riesling will be about $21 a pop. Still cheaper than anything you can find onboard.

Another nice option, slightly less sweet might be a NZ sauvignon blanc. My favorite is 'Cloudy Bay' about $35 in the stores and $70 onboard.

Sweeter reds? Can't advise on that I tend to avoid. Except from the communion cup.

That's his job.

With corkage your $6 bottle of riesling will be about $21 a pop. Still cheaper than anything you can find onboard.

Another nice option, slightly less sweet might be a NZ sauvignon blanc. My favorite is 'Cloudy Bay' about $35 in the stores and $70 onboard.

Sweeter reds? Can't advise on that I tend to avoid. Except from the communion cup.

So forgive me....what is a sommelier? I remember asking the waiter and they were not too helpful.

I was planning on bringing wine on board but we usually only drink it during dinner and I'm not wanting to pay the corkage fee. We do have the deluxe beverage package and in the past, I have ordered a glass of the Riesling before. I was looking for other options so I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Thank you!

Bob, thanks for your suggestion as well.

Biker, if there was no corkage fee, I would be all for it, but we pretty much only drink it during dinner.

Biker, if there was no corkage fee, I would be all for it, but we pretty much only drink it during dinner.

Is bringing the wine in a glass instead of the original bottle worth $15?

As has been mentioned, cost wise you'll always be ahead by bringing your own bottle even if paying the corkage fee.

For a red wines on the sweet vs. dry side, look for red blends where you purchase wines. One red you might like is a South African shiraz called "Jam Jar". Name says it all ;).

You can purchase on board? I see a couple of Shiraz wines on a list from last year. The list I'm posting is the MDR wine list though. 621d6f3956e991608f37c7ee8dac542c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is bringing the wine in a glass instead of the original bottle worth $15?

As has been mentioned, cost wise you'll always be ahead by bringing your own bottle even if paying the corkage fee.

I'm hoping to avoid buying a bottle of wine and instead getting a glass of wine at dinner as part of the deluxe package. Good point though. IF we are even contemplating buying a bottle, we would be better off bringing our own wine bottle despite the corkage fee.

If we don't finish the wine, do they store the wine bottle you brought?

Another option might be a Champagne Cocktail. The typical Champagne used is a "Brut" which is on the dryer side, however the other ingredients are an Agostura bitters infused sugar cube and a lemon twist. The bitters just add a spice note to the cocktail. The overall taste is sweet. I suggest ordering this drink at one of the bars vs. in the MDR. On the Allure, the bar venue cocktail was far superior to what was delivered in the MDR.

Plus you get the added bonus of that :cool: "Rat Pack" vibe at the bar, LOL.

Another option might be a Champagne Cocktail. The typical Champagne used is a "Brut" which is on the dryer side, however the other ingredients are an Agostura bitters infused sugar cube and a lemon twist. The bitters just add a spice note to the cocktail. The overall taste is sweet. I suggest ordering this drink at one of the bars vs. in the MDR. On the Allure, the bar venue cocktail was far superior to what was delivered in the MDR.

Plus you get the added bonus of that :cool: "Rat Pack" vibe at the bar, LOL.

That's sounds good! Thanks for the suggestion. We go by the schooner bar from time to time so maybe I'll experiment there. thanks!

I thought I had seen Jam Jar on the Allure wine list, but of course the list does change. I have seen posted that different bars sometimes have different wine list so you might want to check once onboard.

I did see a Sokal Blosser Pinot Noir listed ( not by the glass though). I am not familiar with this wine but I do know the winery is known for their sweeter, lighter whites. Make a great Riesling that pairs well with Sushi and spicy foods. So perhaps it follows that their reds are sweet vs dry as well.

But the best bet is to try a few of the wines that have been suggested before you cruise and if they can't be purchased onboard bring a couple of bottles with you.

Cheers!

I learned from these boards that the Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling is a sweeter wine sold on board. It's one of my favorites. I have had the beringer zinfandel and it's ok, not too bad.

Can you recommend any other wines that are more on the sweet side? I know my wife loves red wine that leans on the sweet side too. Hoping there are recommendations for white and red wines that are sweet. I believe I had the moscato a couple of years ago and I liked that too.

Slyster - A quick tip when looking at a wine list: Wines are listed from sweetest to driest. The wines at the top may not be as sweet as you like, but the wines at the bottom most certainly will not be!! Hope that helps a bit!

Guest maddycat

I see that you'll be on the Anthem and have the drink package, why don't you go to Vintages and sample the sweeter wines that are offered there. Since Vintages is a wine bar they'll have the largest selection to choose from.

Based on the list above, if you want an easy, forgiving red, stick with pinot noir.

If you want adventure, try a malbec. But they can be hit or miss.

White wine-wise, we tend to drink a lot of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay. Sweet, friendly. Don't confuse it with the Kendall Jackson Cabrenet.

I see that you'll be on the Anthem and have the drink package, why don't you go to Vintages and sample the sweeter wines that are offered there. Since Vintages is a wine bar they'll have the largest selection to choose from.

Also staff and Vintage would have the best knowledge of the wine list and should help you in any selection

Also staff and Vintage would have the best knowledge of the wine list and should help you in any selection

Yes, agree. Talk to the folks in Vintages and tell them that you're looking for a sweet wine. Look for German white wines; Riesling, Gewurztraminer, even Pinot Blanc. Dessert wines are certainly on the sweeter end of the spectrum. But it might be a challenge to find these on the ship. And sweet reds are probably even more difficult to find onboard.

You have great advice already; stop in Vintages and tell them what you like. Hopefully, they can recommend a few things from their stock.

That's his job.

no more sommeliers on board

As mentioned go talk to the staff at Vintages, we've had wonderful afternoons there trying new things. The sweetest wine I had on board was a moscato

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hubs and are a sweet wine drinkers, we usually can find a moscato that is pretty sweet, just ask the sommelier to bring you the sweetest moscato they have, we found no problem with moscatos and pinks.