Cruise reservation cancelled due to ship being chartered

Hello Fellow Carnival Cruisers

I was booked on the Inspiration for the Feb.26th 2018 4 day cruise. I received an email yesterday from my TA, stating my reservation had been cancelled, due to the ship has been chartered.

The email says to call to rebook cruise for another date.

I would recieve a $50.00 OBC and up to $200,00 to cover any penalty to change my airline flights. I'm wondering what others have done in this situation. I'm retired, so I can be flexible in changing my dates. I feel bad for those passengers booked on this cruise who have reserved the time off from work, only to have to change it, if they decide to rebook. Any ideas, or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!!! Brian

That's exactly what happened to me and why I'm reading the Carnival forum. My sister and I had a cruise booked with NCL out of Port Canaveral for Jan 6/18. Booked the cruise months and months ago. Booked our hotels, flights and car rentals. A month or so ago, NCL cancelled the cruise due to the ship being chartered. Same offer, $50 OBC, $300 toward any flight change charges. They also offered to change to a different cruise for the same price. We couldn't change our dates plus part of our trip was flying in early for Disney World, and then the Space Centre on our return. So we found the Magic leaving the same day, same port. Not exactly the itinerary we wanted, but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was booked on the Inspiration for the Feb.26th 2018 4 day cruise. I received an email yesterday from my TA, stating my reservation had been cancelled, due to the ship has been chartered.

I would recieve a $50.00 OBC and up to $200,00 to cover any penalty to change my airline flights. I'm wondering what others have done in this situation. I'm retired, so I can be flexible in changing my dates. I feel bad for those passengers booked on this cruise who have reserved the time off from work, only to have to change it, if they decide to rebook. Any ideas, or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!!! Brian

Sadly, there is nothing much you can but to accept their offer, or cancel and refund. Cancellations of that nature do happen.

The cruise date is half a year away. I'm sure those who scheduled vacation time can adjust it since it's so far out.

Most places yes but where my BFF works she can't. She's already had to put in for 2018 vacation time and it's been approved. She can't change it or get someone to switch with her sadly.

Thanks!!! Brian

Sorry this happened to you, Brian. I hope you find a suitable alternative. I have read other's posts here in the past where they say Carnival only gives you a limited amount of time to act and take advantage of what they are offering. You probably won't be able to make a decision about an alternative until you check out details of alternatives, especially if you have other existing reservations (air, hotel, etc.). If your change fees and alternative reservations cost more than the $200 Carnival is offering, I wouldn't hesitate to let them know that and negotiate for an amount that actually covers your expenses. Just be prepared to provide Carnival with documentation to substantiate your claim. Good luck!

I'd be upset. I'd certainly try to wring it for everything it's worth.

I'm sure most folks don't think this way. If we all read the booking contracts, it states that the cruise reserves the right to change ships, charter the ship, among many other things. Our travel agent points all this put to us. That's the big problem when folks book on line and don't review the contract. A well seasoned travel agent will explain what can happen. It very possible bookings were very light and not selling well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most places yes but where my BFF works she can't. She's already had to put in for 2018 vacation time and it's been approved. She can't change it or get someone to switch with her sadly.

Yes, this. My DH's job requires him to submit all "seniority based" vacation in January for the entire calendar year. He can submit leave for other times of the year, but since its not seniority based, it will be based upon availability, which means it is not likely you will get an entire week approved unless it is not during the popular times of the year, near any federal or state holidays, or a core training week (which is once per month). He could withdraw his request, but getting a new full week would be a different matter. Would have been okay in this instance, since it is a diff calendar year, but if it were this year, we would be out of luck. It limits our ability to travel with others since we have to plan far in advance- especially since we, like our friends and family, try to stick to times when school is out.

OP- Since your schedule is flexible, I would rebook and take the OBC for your trouble. And have a good time.

Thank you for all of your responses!!! Some VERY good information given to me here.

I booked another cruise on the Inspiration for the week before. I asked if they could do bettter in the OBC, and they have given me $100.00 instead of the $50.00. They are working on my $200.00 reimbursement for my change in flights. They also gave me a $100.00 credit voucher for a pre cruise hotel. I booked the Qieen Mary that is docked next to Carnivals Cruise Terminal. I' happy now!!

Thanks again for your suggestions. Brian

This is happening more and more.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I wonder how truly often this is happing, I agree with what you have posted, but it would be interesting to see how often this actually happens. As I have said in another post, there are honestly Plus and Minuses in Cruising....This of course being a minus!!:mad:

Mpdog42