Stingray City: Great Stirrup Cay or Grand Cayman?

KenCT

We'll be taking a Western Caribbean cruise on the Epic later this year and are starting to think about shore excursions. A Stingray City excursion is offered at both Great Stirrup Cay and Grand Cayman. Ideally, I'd like to take it at GSC, giving us more options on Grand Cayman. The excursion generally gets great reviews, but there are a few that give one pause. This is from the NCL site itself.

"We expected to walk onto the beach,with the water being about waist level, to touch the stingrays. Instead we went on a boat ride to a dock where we had to go down a step ladder into deep water.It required about a 15 foot swim to reach the sandbar. We weren't advised of that, so it was scary for some of us to drop off the last rung of the ladder. Also, if you don't swim, this isn't a good thing for you. Another thing was that getting from the meeting place to the transport boats required a half mile walk. We weren't expecting that, either. So for some people this whole activity level is more than 1."

This would be a deal-breaker for our group. I guess it depends on the tide. Should we pass on this excursion on GSC, even though there's nothing else we find really appealing, or take a chance that it will work out?

Wow! Two minutes. That was fast. Thanks for your input. Captain Marvin is already on my radar, as is Captain Chip who apparently runs Stingray Sailing. Decisions. Decisions

I would book Captain Marvin's independently of the ship in Grand Cayman. He gets great reviews on both the cruise critic boards as well as TripAdvisor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I have been with

Captain Marven a few times ....he takes you to shallow place to touch stingrays then off to snorkel in Japanese garden ...awesome eperience

Facing the water walk to your right a few blocks till you ind Captain Marven ...great tour

We'll be taking a Western Caribbean cruise on the Epic later this year and are starting to think about shore excursions. A Stingray City excursion is offered at both Great Stirrup Cay and Grand Cayman. Ideally, I'd like to take it at GSC, giving us more options on Grand Cayman. The excursion generally gets great reviews, but there are a few that give one pause. This is from the NCL site itself.

"We expected to walk onto the beach,with the water being about waist level, to touch the stingrays. Instead we went on a boat ride to a dock where we had to go down a step ladder into deep water.It required about a 15 foot swim to reach the sandbar. We weren't advised of that, so it was scary for some of us to drop off the last rung of the ladder. Also, if you don't swim, this isn't a good thing for you. Another thing was that getting from the meeting place to the transport boats required a half mile walk. We weren't expecting that, either. So for some people this whole activity level is more than 1."

This would be a deal-breaker for our group. I guess it depends on the tide. Should we pass on this excursion on GSC, even though there's nothing else we find really appealing, or take a chance that it will work out?

We have been to both. On GSC it will depend on the tides. If you are really worried, you could check for when the tides are the lowest. When we went, there was no swimming, unless you wanted to. And you were about waist deep. On both GSC and Grand Cayman (if you go to Stingray City), you will be on a boat out to the viewing site (5 minutes on GSC, a lot longer at Grand Cayman). And you will need to go down a ladder get into the water (off the dock at GSC and down a dive ladder at Grand Cayman. For us it was deeper at Grand Cayman.

At Grand Cayman, you are with a tour operator making a buck on taking you out to the rays. On GSC, you are working with the naturalists who care for the rays. The rays can come and go, but most stay inside the very large enclosure (which also keeps the occasional shark out). At GSC, there are also areas to snorkel. And you can hunt the bottom for the occasional star fish

We went in Cayman. The company we went with was amazing. It was one family and me and my son. It was like a personal tour. The guide was wonderful but the water was cold and at my shoulders. You had to take the boat ladder out into the ocean. This was in march and the waves would splash over your head. He then took us to a reef to snorkel and for lunch at rum point. It was the best tour ever. Very personal.

We used Captain Shaun from Seven Seas Charters. Best excursion we have ever done! You do have to climb down the boat ladder into the ocean, but you can stand on the sandy bottom in chest deep water and interact with the stingrays in their natural environment. We can not wait to get back to Cayman to do it again.

I would book Captain Marvin's independently of the ship in Grand Cayman. He gets great reviews on both the cruise critic boards as well as TripAdvisor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We took an excursion with Captain Mario and it was one THE BEST days we've ever had. He and his crew were very informative and fun. We had a stop for snorkeling (it was in about 10 feet of water), a stop at the amazing Starfish Point where we got to see and touch starfish on an absolutely stunning calm water beach, and then we went to Stingray City sand bar. Yes, we still had to swim a short distance to get to the sand bar, but he and his crew provided a tow rope, life jackets and their own guidance to get you there and back. We had waves that day and the waist deep water was deeper in spots, but most people were able to stand no problem. We also only had about a dozen on our boat which was NICE! The others had many more and some looked pretty packed to the gills. Contact Captian Mario and give him and idea of what you're looking for and what your abilities/restrictions are and he'll build your day around what you want.

We took an excursion with Captain Mario and it was one THE BEST days we've ever had. He and his crew were very informative and fun. We had a stop for snorkeling (it was in about 10 feet of water), a stop at the amazing Starfish Point where we got to see and touch starfish on an absolutely stunning calm water beach, and then we went to Stingray City sand bar. Yes, we still had to swim a short distance to get to the sand bar, but he and his crew provided a tow rope, life jackets and their own guidance to get you there and back. We had waves that day and the waist deep water was deeper in spots, but most people were able to stand no problem. We also only had about a dozen on our boat which was NICE! The others had many more and some looked pretty packed to the gills. Contact Captian Mario and give him and idea of what you're looking for and what your abilities/restrictions are and he'll build your day around what you want.

I agree - we have done Sting Ray City 3 times - most recently with Captain Mario of Acquarius Sea Tours and it was a wonderful excursion. He provides the transportation to and from the ship - and its a power boat so you tend to get the locations before the crowds, they are very safety conscious - and best of all, as mentioned by MichMom he only takes a small group.

We have also used Stingray Sailing with very good results - really depends on if you prefer a power vessel or sailing.

Here's my two cents. I've done both but it's been 16 years for Grand Cayman and just 2 for GSC.

To assuage the fears on the NCL site, it's not an arduous trek from the dock to the other side of the island where the boat goes to the enclosed pen the stingrays are in. If you went to the farthest beach would take longer. There is a ladder 3 or 4 steps to the water but nothing difficult. I suspect the person writing the review had some mobility problem and it was a chore. I didn't have that experience.

As for the "Sting Ranglers", IE the young men who were the nature guides and ran the tour, they were great. Very knowledgeable of the rays and could answer every question. You can feed them but most people were afraid so my wife and I must have fed the 20-30 times each. The same for holding them. One bonus....there's a 7' reef shark that lives in the pen and made a surprise appearance. It's a filter feeder like the rays so it isn't dangerous, but the "Ranglers"didn't want the handful that saw it to say anything lest others got spooked.

Contrasting to the Cayman's trip, it was different. If the one you're planning is similar we went in a boat and snorkeled for almost an hour inside the first barrier reef. There was a 5' reef shark there but I wasn't getting close 'cause we were in 20' water. Then we we to the Stingray City site. Somewhere between waist and lower chest depth. Lots of rays to feed but more chaotic and free form than GSC. My experience could have been altered because my youngest daughter was in mortal fear the entire time and a permanent fixture somewhere on the head or back the entire time. Overall, it was a fantastic and memorable experience.

As you may tell I'm a glass is half full, no, no, all the way full kinda guy. And it's full of single Pot Still Irish Whiskey. You have an enviable dilemma! No choice is wrong. Just have to cruise again soon to do the one you don't do this time. :D:D

Wow! Two minutes. That was fast. Thanks for your input. Captain Marvin is already on my radar, as is Captain Chip who apparently runs Stingray Sailing. Decisions. Decisions

My husband and I LOVED Captain Chip. I highly recommend him.

One of the best excursions we've ever taken were with Ebanks water sports in Grand Cayman. Jet skis may not be some people's thing, but you take a jet ski tour to the stingrays (small group of about 6), we've done it 3 times, never gets old.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app