Island or Emerald to Antarctica?

GoProCruiser

Hi everyone! I'm looking at South America/Antarctica cruises for February 2018. There are two Princess ships sailing the 14 day Antarctica route...the Island and Emerald. They are sailing the same itinerary. Which ship would you recommend cruising on? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Those cruises do not go to Antarctica as the farthest south they go is rounding Cape Horn. I have not sailed on the Island since her poorly conceived remodel but I would still choose her. Why?

Approximately 1,000 fewer passengers. Much less crowding in the ports.

Covered pool. Makes the pool usable in the cool weather on the cruise.

Sabatini's instead of SHARE - I know I haven't tried SHARE yet but Sabatini's probably appeals to more people.

No Skywalker's on the Island but she has most of the other features as the Emerald.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi everyone! I'm looking at South America/Antarctica cruises for February 2018. There are two Princess ships sailing the 14 day Antarctica route...the Island and Emerald. They are sailing the same itinerary. Which ship would you recommend cruising on? Thanks!!

The Island Princess is sailing a 60 day RT Ft. Lauderdale circle South America. You can book in segments, Ft. Lauderdale to B.A., B.A. to Valparaiso and Val. to Ft. Lauderdale.

I would recommend the Emerald Princess which gives you more selections.

Note that no Princess ship goes to Antarctica. Princess normally offers an air tour from Punta Areanas to Antarctica, weather permitting. It is very expensive. Check it on their excursion site. If you wish to sail to Antarctica select another cruise line that has smaller ships that are allowed into this area.

I would never sail the Island again! It is way overcrowded since they added all the extra cabins in the refit. I would choose Emerald in a heartbeat! All public venues do not have enough seating. To get a good seat in theater - minimum one hour before show. If you get there 30 minutes before you will not get a seat. Buffet is impossible to get a table at busy times. Never again!

I really appreciate the input! Thank you everyone!

I like that the Island has a covered pool area (I don't swim in the pools but the indoor area is nice) and that's about the only reason why I would choose the ship. The Emerald is a larger ship and doesn't have any covered top deck areas which isn't my favorite but seems to be the better option for me. Thanks again!

We did a actual Antarctic cruise RT Buenos Aires on the Star Princess in 2010 and Princess ended their Antarctic itineraries after 2011.

OP These sailing you refer to are NOT Antarctic itineraries

Srpilo

Note that no Princess ship goes to Antarctica. Princess normally offers an air tour from Punta Areanas to Antarctica, weather permitting. It is very expensive. Check it on their excursion site. If you wish to sail to Antarctica select another cruise line that has smaller ships that are allowed into this area.

Princess used to go to Antarctica (scenic cruising only). When we did it it was on the Golden Princess.

Princess has chosen not to have Antarctica itineraries. I think part of the original reasons to discontinue them was a requirement for a much less polluting (and more expensive) fuel.