Next Cruise reduced deposits gone after August 1st

However, when your loyalists spend $50-100k annually each on cruises, and the perks are gone, there are other cruise lines that will appreciate your business. With 58 RCCLs I have never been offered an upgrade. So we book suites. Our second Costa cruise upgraded us from inside to balcony.

I fully understand non refundable, but those with a loyal track record should not be penalized for the abusers. Those retirees counting on pensions and social security can budget cruises but increased deposits dig into 401ks/IRAs that can be generating funds for more cruises. We own stock and appreciate dividends but realize a loyal customer base generates more dependable revenue and allows the company to budget more efficiently.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

However, when your loyalists spend $50-100k annually each on cruises, and the perks are gone, there are other cruise lines that will appreciate your business. With 58 RCCLs I have never been offered an upgrade. So we book suites. Our second Costa cruise upgraded us from inside to balcony.

I fully understand non refundable, but those with a loyal track record should not be penalized for the abusers. Those retirees counting on pensions and social security can budget cruises but increased deposits dig into 401ks/IRAs that can be generating funds for more cruises. We own stock and appreciate dividends but realize a loyal customer base generates more dependable revenue and allows the company to budget more efficiently.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

I don’t get this theory. Eventually, it all evens out. Higher deposits on front end, less to pay later. Maybe a slight higher amount for short term but it evens out.

And it’s almost always a few that cause rules to be changed for the majority.

I’ve asked before and will ask again, what is the solution to stop the abuse of booking multiple cruises as backup, place marker, spare and so on that are likely to be cancelled or transferred?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t get this theory. Eventually, it all evens out. Higher deposits on front end, less to pay later. Maybe a slight higher amount for short term but it evens out.

And it’s almost always a few that cause rules to be changed for the majority.

I’ve asked before and will ask again, what is the solution to stop the abuse of booking multiple cruises as backup, place marker, spare and so on that are likely to be cancelled or transferred?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've thought about this a lot on the last cruise.

If RCCL created a "Credit Score", similar to what lenders use, that could work. You start with a number for all, and as you book cruises and "stick to the schedule" you accumulate points. If you cancel a cruise, you get decremented, say a 100 point penalty. The score is evaluated and appropriate discounts are given for the level you are at.

That would work and everyone would get treated fairly. Abusers would get slammed.

If you abuse the system enough, then full deposits. If you are constant, then perhaps the original reduced deposit of $100 a person.

One could even put a multiplier on for the amount paid (or lost due to cancellation) like Celebrity does for their point system.

If you upgrade from a lower category to a higher one (i.e. balcony to GS) you would accumulate more points. If you downgrade - penalties.

The same could be done for onboard credit.

That coupled with the C&A discounts could benefit the repeat cruisers who don't renege on their commitments.

That, I believe, would be a resolve for the issue.

The extra $100 for the non-refundable deposit purchased 6 months prior is available to everyone whether you book on board or not so you cant really count that as a benefit of booking on board. Just saying....

Hi,

If changing a cruise booking from RD to NRD more than six months in advance, do you get $100 obc, even if it's for an inside cabin? or is $100 only for balconies?

Thanks for info,

Cheers,

NJ

Hi,

If changing a cruise booking from RD to NRD more than six months in advance, do you get $100 obc, even if it's for an inside cabin? or is $100 only for balconies?

Thanks for info,

Cheers,

NJ

The extra $100 OBC applies to all stateroom categories.

We changed an Oct. 2018 cruise to NRD in July. I thought that we were supposed to get $50 so asked TA for that amount. Will contact him to adjust now.

Thank you Bob. Now we owe you another drink!!

NJ

If RCCL created a "Credit Score", similar to what lenders use, that could work. You start with a number for all, and as you book cruises and "stick to the schedule" you accumulate points. If you cancel a cruise, you get decremented, say a 100 point penalty. The score is evaluated and appropriate discounts are given for the level you are at.

That would work and everyone would get treated fairly. Abusers would get slammed.

If you abuse the system enough, then full deposits. If you are constant, then perhaps the original reduced deposit of $100 a person.

One could even put a multiplier on for the amount paid (or lost due to cancellation) like Celebrity does for their point system.

If you upgrade from a lower category to a higher one (i.e. balcony to GS) you would accumulate more points. If you downgrade - penalties.

That coupled with the C&A discounts could benefit the repeat cruisers who don't renege on their commitments.

Sounds good on paper, but how would Royal's IT ever get it right? :rolleyes:

They could hire me - oh no - that would interfere with my cruising - 4 letter word called work.;p

Interestingly enough - on the Rhapsody I had to tell the IT people how to fix their routers so they would authenticate users in the Concierge lounge. Ugh....

... Interestingly enough - on the Rhapsody I had to tell the IT people how to fix their routers so they would authenticate users in the Concierge lounge. Ugh....

You've got my curiosity up now. What did they have wrong?

Their 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands weren't set up correctly. Anything running 2.4 and 5Ghz would not connect. The 5 kept overriding the 2.4 and just kept trying to connect and authenticate in an endless loop. Saw a lot of new phones that wouldn't hook up. I had an old tablet that was 2.4 only and would always connect. When I showed them the two side-by-side they finally got the hint and fixed it. On my PC I could identify that 5 Ghz was connecting great in our suite (properties under Wi-Fi) but not upstairs. They were telling everyone the signal in the corner wasn't strong enough. I had solid maximum on my devices but the 5's wouldn't connect or authenticate, even at 04:00am when I was the only one there. Tablet always worked. Go figure...

Hi Bob,

Talking to my TA about this - he is insisting it is $50 for inside cabins, not $100. Do you know where it says $100 for all categories? Appreciate it.

NJ

RR....you expressed my immediate thought! RC IT can't handle what they already have on their plate. They sure couldn't handle this!

Great stuff - thanks. $100 for inside - got it. Had not seen this before. See that it also says there's a 30 day grace period for making changes w/o $100 fee. That's good too.

Ok - back to my TA!!

Again, thanks,

NJ

Great stuff - thanks. $100 for inside - got it. Had not seen this before. See that it also says there's a 30 day grace period for making changes w/o $100 fee. That's good too.

Ok - back to my TA!!

Again, thanks,

NJ

You're very welcome.

Next Cruise was hopping on the Halloween cruise. Even the guy in the SL had customers. Probably not Pinnacles, though. 😉

I'll report back next week

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Next Cruise on Oasis was packed yesterday at 3:00, appointment book totally full

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Only if you book a nonrefundable rate. No thanks

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app

While making a booking on the telephone, I asked a Royal Caribbean sales agent how this works if you book a nonrefundable rate on board with a $100 deposit. The agent clarified that only the $100 was nonrefundable. Royal Caribbean will not try to collect the full deposit that would have been required if you had booked elsewhere. Moreover, the agent then allowed me to convert a reservation that I had booked on board about 8 months ago before the current policy was in place to a non-refundable deposit rate, reducing the cost by about $300 with no additional deposit. This was in spite of the fact that (under the old rules) I had taken the $100 as an instant on board credit so it had actually never been refundable! I realize that Royal Caribbean sales agents sometimes have different understandings of the rules so the experience might be different on another day. Nevertheless, it seems like a pretty good deal if the nonrefundable deposit is only $100 and the nonrefundable fare is more than $100 less than the refundable fare.