Salerno . In port from 7 am to 7 pm. Safe to

Moxiefurball

on the Crown princess Mediterranean cruise next June we stop in Salerno.

Viator has some great tours from Salerno port that go to positiono, almafi and ravello . The tour

Small-Group Amalfi Coast Day-Trip from Salerno Including Lunch - is 8 hrs and leaves from port at 8 am. So 8 hrs should get us back to ship by 4.. well before the 7 pm when ship leaves port. After an experience on celebrity tour where our bus broke down and ship had to wait for us , I'm hesitant to book tours off ship. But Princess excursions from Salerno do not stop in Positsno. Has anyone taken full day tours in Salerno not with ship.

Have not done that specific tour but have done dozens of private tours as well as OMO, and never been late for return. That remains one of the greatly overhyped risks of travel. In fact on our recent Med cruise I realized that if I missed the ship I could reach the next port by rail long before the ship arrived. If this covers what you want to see better. I would go for it.

We are not big fans of Viator and have posted our thoughts many times. Viator is not a tour company...but merely a third party company that contracts with various local tour providers...all over the world. Our preference is always to deal directly with the tour provider and conduct our own due diligence when it comes to the actual tour provider.

As to your concern regarding getting back to the ship,,,,,a scheduled 4 pm return gives you more then enough margin of error for just about any eventuality. Italy is not a third world country....and there are always other options for getting back to the port.

Hank

We haven't used Viator either. The third-party aspect has always made me nervous.

We'll be using shared tours dot com (Mondoguide) this September for 'Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast'. Check out their website. Group sizes range from minimum 6 people (8-seat van) to maximum 19 (19-seat mini-bus) and a group formed on our roll call. Regardless, the price is the same for everyone. From Salerno, it includes one hour of free time in both Positano and Amlalfi Town and a two-hour guided tour in Pompeii. Highly recommended on TripAdvisor.

My security blanket on a private tour is to always have enough cash to hire a taxi back to the ship. While not foolproof, we've taken lots of private tours and haven't had an issue yet.

We have used Joe Bananas twice on our Princess cruises. Once from Naples and last time out of Salerno. From Salerno we toured Pompeii, Sorrento, and Positano. Amazing day and we were back well in advance of all aboard time. My husband is ultra paranoid about using external vendors outside of the ship tours as he is so afraid of missing the ship. However JB was amazing, and we will use them a third time on our next Med cruise next summer.