Can't decide on which cruise line.....HELP!!

scrappy101

My husband and I, and our two daughters, ages 12 and 7, are trying to plan a cruise this November. I have narrowed it down to a 7 night, Eastern Caribbean cruise, but I'm torn between Disney cruise, or Royal Caribbean, Oasis of the Seas. The only cruise that we have been on was last May, we went on a 3 night Disney cruise, and we loved it. Royal Caribbean is much more affordable, but if I'm not mistaken, there are things on board (soda, cover charges,etc...) that are not included in the price. Disney is more expensive but everything is included.

Any input regarding both cruise lines would be so helpful and much appreciated!

Your girls will love the Oasis. It is an amazing ship with tons of things to do for both children and adults. Just the outside Amphitheater is amazing.... If you do not want to purchase a soda package, there are many things already included. Milk, chocolate milk, iced tea, juice, lemonade, and of course the good ole stand-by...tap water. I really don't think you would be sorry. :cool:

Edited by champagne123

My husband and I, and our two daughters, ages 12 and 7, are trying to plan a cruise this November. I have narrowed it down to a 7 night, Eastern Caribbean cruise, but I'm torn between Disney cruise, or Royal Caribbean, Oasis of the Seas. The only cruise that we have been on was last May, we went on a 3 night Disney cruise, and we loved it. Royal Caribbean is much more affordable, but if I'm not mistaken, there are things on board (soda, cover charges,etc...) that are not included in the price. Disney is more expensive but everything is included.

Any input regarding both cruise lines would be so helpful and much appreciated!

If you budget allows, do the Diz. Best for kids, and less kid-haters, like me (for a relaxing cruise). If you are tighter of funds, go Royal. Realistically, the kids don't need all the sugar of the bev package anyway. Water, fruit juices, and milk are better. Just stay away from the Carnivals. They are run on alcohol.

(From my iPad, so please forgive the errors)

The Oasis definitely looks like there would be so much to do. I'm just afraid of hidden costs. Are all of the activities on board included? And are there any extra charges at restaurants? I thought I read on one of the threads that Johnny Rockets charges a cover.

Oasis of the Seas all the way. There are tons of things on board for both you and your daughters to be entertained by.

Royal Caribbean is a terrific cruise line, great energetic vibe, beautiful ships, delicious food, excellent service. The Oasis ships are in a class of there own. Don't miss the opportunity to spend some quality time and this leviathan liner.

Jonathan

The Oasis definitely looks like there would be so much to do. I'm just afraid of hidden costs. Are all of the activities on board included? And are there any extra charges at restaurants? I thought I read on one of the threads that Johnny Rockets charges a cover.

Yes, JR has a very small sir-charge. If you have the need to have a hamburger, then you pay it. There are "no fee" hamburgers in the dining room and buffet. It is called choices. There are soooo many "no fee" places on the Oasis class. No need to go to JR. It is just a chain all over the country. For something different...go to the Park Cafe...Omg...great roast beef sandwiches, salads, chips and dozens of other things. :)

There is a cover for Johnny Rockets except for BREAKFAST on Oasis.

There are other n/c places on the ship to get hamburgers and that sort of thing. ;)

No, not all activities are free. Not sure I can list all the costs more activities...bingo, video arcade, Ben & Jerry's, cupcake decorating classes... Someone else help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you can locate a cruise compass for this itinerary, you can see how many activities are provided for free. The ones with a charge are marked with a $.

My husband and I are cheap. We don't like being hit with extra charges either. On our first cruise we only spent money on one soda package and some bingo games, and of course gratuities. Our last cruise was on Oasis, I will admit that we got a bunch of freebies thrown in from our TA for specialty dining and soda packages, but we would have been just as happy without any of it. Of course there are plenty of opportunities to spend your cash if you want to, but you can still have an amazing time without going broke.

If your budget allows this I would go with Disney.

As you could tell from your other cruise Disney is very special.

Given the ages of your children Disney will still be very special. As they get older that will be a nice time to go with other cruise lines such as RCI.

Keith

The majority of activities, like the rock wall, Flowrider, ice skating, zipline, etc, are all free on Oasis.

Yes, JR does have a cover charge. I don't know what its up to now...something like $5.

The main dining room, buffet and Park Café are free. There's also free pizza in Sorrento's and free snacks/finger foods in Café Promenade. The specialty restaurants on board have a cover charge.

All booze and sodas cost extra and have a 18% gratuity on top, but you can purchases packages for those if you choose.

Yes, RCI (and the others) do nickel and dime a lot more than Disney, but Oasis is an amazing ship. I recommend Oasis.

I've never been on Disney so I'm no help in that regard. But I've been on Oasis with my two boys and they loved it. Yes there are charges for a few things but still don't think it would add up to paying more than on Disney which I've heard is very expensive. The Oasis has many things to offer as others have said and also the show in the aqua theater was very cool and my boys loved it. We had a boardwalk balcony cabin so we could watch it from our balcony.

Although soda is not included there are plenty of options like lemonade, punch, flavored waters, iced tea, white and chocolate milk for everyone.

Oasis class ships are awesome for kids. Lots of choices as far as included dining - you don't have to pay for any specialty dining. It's strictly your choice.

There are a lot of free options for everyone such as ice skating, ping pong, rock climbing, flow riders, mini golf, sports court, carousel and more. Disney is known for its shows, but don't overlook the ice shows and Aqua/diving shows on RC. Very different and special to RC and great to watch.

Finally the pools are much better. Not as crowded simply because there are more choices.

Oasis class are so much bigger than Disney ships, which makes a big difference in terms of things to do. They also handle the crowds well and to me seem less crowded than some of the smaller ships.

Since you are worried about RCCL "nickle and diming" vs Disney, I took a quick look at prices for E. Caribbean cruises in mid-November out of Port Canaveral. There is a difference of $1000 pp between the two cruise lines!

Sure, Disney may include everything but to be honest, with the fare difference, go with RCCL. Oasis is one of the largest cruise ships in the world and your children will have just as much fun........