Never cruise again

jaee901

I will start by saying I loved my NCL Breakaway cruise to Bermuda. I have no complaints except for a crowded pool, but that is to be expected.

The reasons I will never cruise again is because a month after getting off the cruise I still have motion sickness. My head is heavy, I feel like I am bobbing up and down, sometimes I feel like I'm walking on a water bed, it is very unpleasant. After researching this could last for years. I don't know how I will handle this if it lasts that long.

Taking a vacation that I enjoyed that leaves you feeling sick and broken is beyond upsetting.

For those who have NCL planned, enjoy them. It was wonderful at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The reasons I will never cruise again is because a month after getting off the cruise I still have motion sickness.

My head is heavy, I feel like I am bobbing up and down, sometimes I feel like I'm walking on a water bed, it is very unpleasant.

It may have little to do with cruising .... I've had this:

BPPV IS THE MOST COMMON VESTIBULAR DISORDER.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (or BPPV) is the most common cause of vertigo,

a false sensation of spinning.

• Benign – it is not life-threatening
  • Paroxysmal – it comes in sudden, brief spells
  • Positional – it gets triggered by certain head positions or movements
  • Vertigo – a false sense of rotational movement

• Go see your Doctor

Edited by $hip$hape

The reasons I will never cruise again is because a month after getting off the cruise I still have motion sickness. My head is heavy, I feel like I am bobbing up and down, sometimes I feel like I'm walking on a water bed, it is very unpleasant. After researching this could last for years. I don't know how I will handle this if it lasts that long.

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. Please research and tell your doctor about MdDS (Mal de Debarkment). My DW has had this condition from 2013 and is presently getting treating for MdDS.

Good luck!

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (or BPPV) is the most common cause of vertigo,

• Go see your Doctor

Interesting post. My brother suffered may have this diagnosis.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. Please research and tell your doctor about MdDS (Mal de Debarkment). My DW has had this condition from 2013 and is presently getting treating for MdDS.

Good luck!

What does his treatment entail? Where is he receiving it?

I have had 2 bad bouts of BPPV, and it's no fun. My problems had nothing to do with sailing, but after tests, I found my problems had to do with severe sinus problems and allergies. But that's just me. It can happen for a variety of reasons, but the end result was that my inner ears couldn't regulate my balance. There are methods for resetting the little "stones" inside the inner ear and in my case, they worked.

Please see your doctor. I found I have to careful about colds and sinus blockage, but I have no problems flying or, thank goodness, sailing! It is possible your dizziness could be long term, which is rare, but there's a better chance it won't.

My daughter has had two serious bouts of this and was hospitalized each time it was so bad. Both happened when she moved her head "just so" and came on immediately. Doctor's have finally determined that it is sinus/allergy related. It happened both times at almost the same week. She takes daily sinus meds and it has not happened again. Both times it happened it took a long time to get over. Exercises for this also helped. She flies and cruises without any problems.

I really feel for the OP.

Please seek out medical advice. There is a small subset of the population that experiences this. And an even smaller that deal with it long term.

Search out some help.

Best of luck.

My Internist is not in favor of the Epley Maneuver .She feels it could cause many problems.

Which means that:

a) Others are wrong

b) This doctor is wrong

c) There is a bit more to the story

And this is but one more reason I am always a bit nervous over the phrase "check with your personal Dr. before proceeding". Different physicians have different knowledge levels and opinions. So....

I will start by saying I loved my NCL Breakaway cruise to Bermuda. I have no complaints except for a crowded pool, but that is to be expected.

Taking a vacation that I enjoyed that leaves you feeling sick and broken is beyond upsetting.

For those who have NCL planned, enjoy them. It was wonderful at the time.

Wow jaee901, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that you went to your doctor to be sure it is not an inner ear infection or worst. Some years ago, I was laying in my bed one morning (weeks after the cruise) and it felt like the bed was rocking like it does in rough seas. It only happened that one time but it was weird. Hope you're better.

• Go see your Doctor

A good PT can treat this. I recommend you visit and have them treat you for the BPPV. My rocks were shifted in the inner ear and after a PT treatment all is fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Dealing with a chronic health issue can be exhausting. It just wears you down. I wish you the best.

I have some free advice. Like most free advice, it is probably only worth what you paid for it. But my advice is: seek out another doctor. Find one that does more than shrug and say "well, you are of a certain age, and this happens, so you have to learn to cope." That may be true, but it may also be untrue. You won't know until you try other methods.

When you go long enough, and someone says your condition would be cured by swinging a chicken in a bucket around your head, you'll start to look for a place to buy buckets and chickens. Before you get to that point seek out another doctor. If your doctor is upset by that they are unprofessional and should be reported (a second opinion is always a good practice).

I have seen a doctor - ENT and a PT. Was put on meds and given exercises, nothing has made it go away. It is better but still always there.

I had it for 2 weeks after my b2b then it passed, it is very unpleasant.

I watched this and followed the tips, I think it helped

http://[https://youtu.be/nE7kNqS-z2g/URL]

What does his treatment entail? Where is he receiving it?

My wife's treatment entailed concentrating on a series of moving stripes projected on a screen or wall. The doctor would then evaluate her and make adjustments to the speed and/or direction of the stripes. She has been receiving this treatment through Dr. Dai at Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York but I believe that you need to be referred by your treating ENT.

We were told that MdDs is not a form of vertigo. Vertigo has some sensation of spinning but MdDs feels like you're still on a moving boat.

Hope this helps.

I get this, can last a few weeks after the cruise! has made me feel sick sometimes I feel like im 'bobbing' on the water so much! The good thing about it is I am alright in bad seas, that's how I look at it... I get such good sea legs that I just have sea legs for a bit after too lol