Never cruise again

jaee901

My episode of BPPV occurred immediately after a very rocky NYC to Bermuda trip - and lasted for well over a year. Funny that the only time I did not have symptoms during that time was when I was on a cruise. Not sure if the rocking and rolling caused the issues by loosening crystals in my inner ear - but that seems to be the consensus of my medical practitioners. The symptoms just slowly faded away. I have cruised many times since with no effects although I do take Bonine for a least a week after each cruise (at bedtime) just as a precaution.

To the OP, don't assume from what is posted here that you have BPPV. It is not the same as Mal de barkment syndrome.

Only an ENT can assess you and make that diagnosis. And, all ENT's are not familiar with this syndrome. I worked for one, and he had never heard of it. Do some research on it yourself and print out some info. If you call an ENT for a consult, ask first if they are familiar with the syndrome. If you can't find one who is, arrive with the printed info and ask them to consider it as a possibility.

Agree with those that have suggested you get a second opinion. That's nothing against your current doctor -- just another perspective can be helpful. Frankly, with the way that medical knowledge and understanding advances almost daily, it would be ridiculous to just assume that any one practitioner would know it all

With respect to your specific problem, I do recall that when I was a kid my dad could never take us on amusement park rides due to a specific kind of sensitivity in his inner ear, but it did eventually abate as he grew older. Hope yours has a much quicker resolution

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm glad this is brought up. This happend to me after my last cruise. ( hadn't been on one for 10 yrs prior) It lasted about 3 weeks. I wonder what the odds are of it happening again and if there is anything that can be done to prevent it. I have upcoming cruise in October. TIA.

I'm glad this is brought up. This happend to me after my last cruise. ( hadn't been on one for 10 yrs prior) It lasted about 3 weeks. I wonder what the odds are of it happening again and if there is anything that can be done to prevent it. I have upcoming cruise in October. TIA.

Some doctors recommend taking motion sickness medications a few days in advance of your cruise and continuing it during and for a short period after. Drugs like Valium are also prescribed to be taken for a period before the cruise.

bosco

My sister in law says she was diagnosed with this after her last cruise:

Mal de debarquement (or mal de débarquement) syndrome (MdDS, or common name disembarkment syndrome) is a rare neurological condition usually occurring after a cruise, aircraft flight, or other sustained motion event.