Your Time Dining (typical wait time)

loops

All really depends on what time you show up, how many people are in your party, and what type of dining night it is casual/formal. When I cruise with my girlfriend we rarely have to wait, even on formal night since we are only 2 people, and we generally don't show up until 8pm or later (we prefer to eat late). But going between 6 - 7:45 could mean waiting for a little bit, especially if you have a larger party or a specific request for a type of table or waiter.

We (2 people) were on the Imagination about a year ago and arrived at the MDR between 7:45 and 8:00 pm each night. We had no waits on 2 of the 4 nights of the cruise, a wait of 20 minutes on the "formal" night and a predicted wait of 45 minutes on the last night. (When the hostess told us that, we skipped the MDR as we weren't going to waste out time waiting that long to eat! ).

My husband and I usually ate around 545 to 630 and only had to wait once-about 15 min. It was on elegant night and it was just enough time to order a pre-dinner cocktail and have our pictures taken. 👍🏻 We would definitely do YTD again.

For those who have had Your Time Dining, what was your average wait time for a table? And what time did you go?

It has varied from ship to ship, and IMHO linked to the number of people you are seeking a table for; anything more than 4 is problematic.

One time with 5 we had to get a pager and wait 45-1 hr. We don't wait that long at home, will go some place else but on a cruise ship, there is no other sit-down venue to escape to. Our son was young (7 ish) and starving so we grabbed him a daiquiri. The maitre 'D sent us a bottle of wine to the room with an apology note because we spent most of that cruise waiting at least 20 minutes. We had tried different times and always with the same results.

But that was that one single cruise. I have refused to do YTD with more than 4 since that time. And with 4 or less we have never had a wait beyond 5 or 10 minutes and most of the time are seated right away. We usually arrive 6-630.

We typically get to the MDR between 5:45 - 6:00 and never have a wait. We switched from having an assigned dining time to YTD several years ago. We like to stop by the MDR entrance mid-afternoon to look at the menu and see what's being offered. If there's nothing that interests us, we like knowing that there are other options, and that we don't have to let tablemates know that we won't be eating dinner in the MDR.

Just remember there can be 2 different waits. During the popular times (usually 1.5-2 hours before the late main theater show and immediately after the early showing) you could have a 20-40 minute long line just to talk to the hostess.

Then a second wait to be seated. The second wait can be controlled, somewhat, by being open to the first available seats be it a private table or seating at others banquet style in whatever section next opens up.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

The best way to manage YTD is to head to the dining room at least 20 minutes before you would normally go. That way you have a table before you kids are starving as someone else said. It' s like any restaurant when they are busy, you wait with a buzzer. but if you plan ahead it's really not that big of a deal.

It has varied from ship to ship, and IMHO linked to the number of people you are seeking a table for; anything more than 4 is problematic.

One time with 5 we had to get a pager and wait 45-1 hr. We don't wait that long at home, will go some place else but on a cruise ship, there is no other sit-down venue to escape to. Our son was young (7 ish) and starving so we grabbed him a daiquiri. The maitre 'D sent us a bottle of wine to the room with an apology note because we spent most of that cruise waiting at least 20 minutes. We had tried different times and always with the same results.

But that was that one single cruise. I have refused to do YTD with more than 4 since that time. And with 4 or less we have never had a wait beyond 5 or 10 minutes and most of the time are seated right away. We usually arrive 6-630.

You grabbed a daiquiri for your starving 7 year old? Well, I guess if you can't feed him, getting him drunk is the next best thing.:rolleyes:

You grabbed a daiquiri for your starving 7 year old? Well, I guess if you can't feed him, getting him drunk is the next best thing.:rolleyes:
Hope it was a virgin daiquiri LOL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As others have stated, we dumped the fixed time dining in favor of YTD many cruises ago and have not looked back or regretted it. We usually go 7-7:30...and it's been just myself and wife, where we pretty much go right in...even on elegant nights..and we've been with groups up to 12...where the "waits" were minimal..10-15 mins tops. Longest wait we've had was a group of 4 of us...waited about 20 minutes or so on an elegant night on the Sunshine.